World Cup 2010 - South Africa Thread

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:55 pm

Or fear of being slaughtered in world media?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:56 pm

Sweet, good goal.

Spain deserve this, the only team that's actually tried to play football tonight.

neoboy

Postby neoboy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:01 pm

Well good on the Spanish, they were always underachievers I felt.

EDIT: Paul the Psychic Octopus strikes again it seems!

Eny

Postby Eny » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:14 pm

Absolutely disappointed with Holland and the way they played, they are better than that. They got what they deserved on the night, 2nd place. Well played Spain, not just tonight, but the whole tournament.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:32 pm

Oh God @ the District 9 ending on the BBC.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

katarn

Postby katarn » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:49 pm

Glad Spain won before it got to penalties. Apart from a couple of Dutch counterattacks (one of which Robben should have scored), Spain were easily the more impressive.

It's a shame it was so niggly.

Papa Lazarou

Postby Papa Lazarou » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:30 pm

Wolfy wrote:Oh God @ the District 9 ending on the BBC.

I thought it was awesome. 8)

Liam

Postby Liam » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:35 pm

District 9 ending?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:43 am

The only black spot on the World Cup has been the terrible punditry from Alan and Alan. That they can have a go at the Dutch for the tactics they employed last night yet praise teams like Blackburn and Stoke et al for employing the exact same tactics against Arsenal is beyond belief. Some of the stuff they have come out with this WC has been pretty dumb, but last night was just awful.

Spain were the better team on the night and deserved the win, but personally I think Germany and Uruguay were the best teams at this World Cup and would have been great to see them contest the final. Was great to see Forlan win the Golden Ball.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

katarn

Postby katarn » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:11 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:Spain were the better team on the night and deserved the win, but personally I think Germany and Uruguay were the best teams at this World Cup and would have been great to see them contest the final.

I guess you mean as in how entertaining they've been, which is fair enough.

Germany looked great counterattacking against teams with very little defensive discipline and Uruguay were tenacious, but neither could really compete with Spain (Germany were completely at sea against them), so in that sense I reckon the best team of the tournament won.

But I think Spain are one of the dullest 'great' teams I've ever seen, although purists may disagree.

Papa Lazarou

Postby Papa Lazarou » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:12 am

deetz

Postby deetz » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:19 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:The only black spot on the World Cup has been the terrible punditry from Alan and Alan. That they can have a go at the Dutch for the tactics they employed last night yet praise teams like Blackburn and Stoke et al for employing the exact same tactics against Arsenal is beyond belief. Some of the stuff they have come out with this WC has been pretty dumb, but last night was just awful.

Spain were the better team on the night and deserved the win, but personally I think Germany and Uruguay were the best teams at this World Cup and would have been great to see them contest the final. Was great to see Forlan win the Golden Ball.

They all seemed to agree that it was understandable for the Uraguayan to handball to make sure the team got through but it was appaling for the Dutch to play hard to try and stop the spanish starting up their passing game. Seems like double standards.

Supported Holland but pleased for Spain.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:20 am

Yeah your right about the Germans, but I do think that if Uruguay hadn't been robbed of some of their best starters by injury in the semis they would have beaten the Dutch and would have given the Spanish a run for their money.

I don't begrudge the Spanish their win and they played some of the best football in the competition. I just think the media is conveniently forgetting how badly the Spanish played at the start of the tournament and are proclaiming them as the best champions ever. They were the best team from the semis onwards, but they were no where near the best team before that.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Adam

Postby Adam » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:20 am

Enjoying Marca this morning. "In England, the tabloid "The Sun"'s headline was a pun: "Winiesta", which translates as "Iniesta the winner""
www.thelineofbestfit.com

p.s. - I am wanking as I write this

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:26 pm

Supported the Netherlands through and through, and bit gutted they didn't win (4 finals and counting...) but glad someone other than the usual big teams won it this year :)
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

PreviousNext

Return to A Question of Sport