Wimbledon - 2015, page 6

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Inflammable Jim

Re: Australian Open

Postby Inflammable Jim » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:11 pm

WIMBLEDOOOON, I've just got home to see Nadal getting boned by some random Belgian. Looks like his knee's exploded again

katarn

Re: Australian Open

Postby katarn » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:20 pm

I see Federer annihilated some player in 68 minutes.

Nadal these days seems to revolve around keeping himself wrapped in cotton wool till the clay season comes and goes. Shame, he would have been due to meet Fed in the quarter final. Would have been a great match if he'd been fit.

DjchunKfunK

Re: Wimbledon 2013

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:46 pm

Credit to Nadal as he didn't blame his defeat on an injury. Darcis did play well, but it was clear that Nadal's knee wasn't right.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Eny

Postby Eny » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:49 pm

Nice emphatic start there Andy...future Wimbledon Champion... ;)
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Wrathbone

Postby Wrathbone » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:43 am

This Watson-Keys match is some of the worst tennis I've ever witnessed. Lethargic and clumsy from both players.

The pundits this year seem way too focused on Murray (inevitable I guess). The fact that all but Tiger Tim seem to have discounted Federer is baffling considering he's in good fitness, is a 17 time grand slam champion and is the reigning Wimbledon champion. Will be interesting to see how well Djokovic plays today.

Also Turncoat Inverdale back at the BBC? I thought he'd gone to ITV?
"This boy is depriving a village of an idiot."

Photos!

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:29 pm

I only caught the end of the Watson game, personal it looked a lot like every other women' s match. One player bashing the ball about with a lot of strength while the finesse play struggles to win any points. There are mitigating circumstances in the case of Watson though as she is not long back from a bout of glandular fever.

The focus on Murray is partly because he has been in such good form since the loss to Federer last year, and has been playing better than Federer has for the last year. People were also discounting Federer because he had to get past Nadal first and after Nadal's form during the clay season many couldn't see that happening. That has obviously changed now and I'm sure that a lot more people will be backing Federer now.

Inflammable Jim

Postby Inflammable Jim » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:17 pm

Djokovic's to lose, surely? Easier side of the draw, plus the fact that he is a machine clothed in human flesh.

Eny

Postby Eny » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:38 pm

Oooooh! Upset imminent?! :D

– Abraham Lincoln

Eny

Postby Eny » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:26 pm

Weirdest day in Wimbledon history? :o

– Abraham Lincoln

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:52 pm

It's a bloodbath this year. Makes a change from the same 4 players getting to the semi-finals in nearly every single slam.

Again, similar to Nadal's match (both here and in last years against Rosol), lower ranked guys with big shots can really go after a big name with nothing to lose. This guy smashed 70+ winners past Federer today. Crazy stuff.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:47 pm

It was indeed a crazy day. Federer just didn't know how to combat Stakhovsky's serve and volley tactics, same for Hewitt. Murray now has a pretty easy route to the final, but I'm sure he will not be taking it easy after what happened yesterday.

I hope Robson bucks her usual trend today and manages to beat an opponent that she should beat. In the past she has always struggled when she is expected to win.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:25 pm

Robson through to the fourth round where she will face an unseeded player so she has a decent opportunity to reach the Quarters. She is unlikely to get further than that though as she will face Serena. She did well to come through today as she totally buckled in the first set and lost 6-1. She was 5-4 down in the second as well, but her opponent bottled it and she came through in 3 sets.

katarn

Postby katarn » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:33 pm

Yeah I watched it too. Happy for Laura obviously, but too often in women's matches this happens. Erakovic was blasting her off the court right until the finish line came in site, then her game collapsed and Laura won 8 or 9 games in a row.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:57 pm

It can happen in men's tennis as well. It's so important to have a strong mentality if you want to win anything in tennis.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:06 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:It can happen in men's tennis as well. It's so important to have a strong mentality if you want to win anything in tennis.

One of the qualities that made the likes of Sampras and Federer so dominant is that if they got a sniff of a break, set or match point, you just knew they were 95% certain of taking it, huge psychological advantage over any opponent as well.

It's why I think Murray will always belong to the second tier below, in current terms, Fed, Nadal and Djokovic, to me he just doesn't have that steel mentality that the very best players do.
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to A Question of Sport