Sports Personality of the Year

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Adam

Sports Personality of the Year

Postby Adam » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:17 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_ ... efault.stm

It's coming up again, and it got me thinking, that this has been the best year in a long, long time for British sport - and we didn't even have a football team at Europe's biggest international tournament. But we had three football teams in the last four of the Champions League, two in the final and obv an English team winning it, we've had Andy Murray finally realising some of his true potential in what has been a great year for the lad, Lewis Hamilton building on last year's success and becoming the youngest ever winner of the driver's championship, Joe Calzaghe continuing to cement his place as one of the best boxers the country has ever produced, and obviously the massive, massive success we had at the Olympics with Adlington, Hoy, etc. There are so many contenders this year, and I really have no idea who I'd vote for - I'm simply not educated enough on the Olympics stuff to feel I can have much of a say, cos to be honest I'd give it to Lewis.

Any thoughts?
www.thelineofbestfit.com

p.s. - I am wanking as I write this

:Dan

Postby :Dan » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:30 pm

I get the feeling it will either be Hoy or Adlington, due to their perceived ordinariness. I'd like to give it to Murray because of the massive improvements to his game over the past year. The way he has matured in his conduct and his added strength and stamina. Taking nothing away from Hamilton, I just feel that he was bound to win it within three years of starting. Perhaps if he had actually won the most races...

Dr. Football

Postby Dr. Football » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:36 pm

It'd have to be Hamilton I think -- it's fucking hard to win F1, lots of drivers never achieve it. OR it should be one of people who won a gold medal in a really competitive event (i.e. not sailing or cycling), so: Christine Ohuruogu or Rebecca Adlington.

Murray has got to win at least 1 grand slam event to get it imo.

Calzaghe won it last year and I see these as big money fights now. I think the achievement of beating Kessler and unifying all the titles was arguably bigger than beating Hopkins or Jones Jr, who are both a bit past it and literally just the biggest names available for him to fight. The man is a real legend though, one of the all time greats, and I hope he gets that recognition worldwide one day, which he may not because Boxing is such a weird sport (i.e. win-loss records and titles mean less than "big money" fights and "lb for lb rating")

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:45 pm

Yeah, just a bit unfortunate he had no one to beat when he finally got the chance. Although he can't be much younger than Hopkins or Jones.

Adam

Postby Adam » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:04 pm

I think Calzaghe's 36 now, which means he's sort of running out of time for the really big money fights. I think he's still got a few more years in him, but I dunno how far he is from the recognition he deserves. He is the only fighter I always go out of my way to watch, he's just fantastic.
www.thelineofbestfit.com

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:58 pm

Surely Hamilton would need a personality to win this?

/tifosi
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

TKoN

Postby TKoN » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:22 pm

I don't think Murray should even be in contention for it really, have to agree with Parv needs to win a grand slam before being considered.

Of the olympians I think Hoy would deserve it more because he won the most golds of the lot and as he is older than Adlington, she has more to come but he is at the peak of his profession and may not be at the next olympics.

I think Hamilton should win it though because 1) He would have won more races if it wasn't for Ferrari International assistance and the contest wouldn't have even been close and 2) the last few winners of the F1 have then won sports personality of the year so it's only fair really.
TKoN wrote:
Come RCHD your kidding yourself if you think Keegan will stay now.

RCHD wrote: I think he will for a while. Quote me on that.

katarn

Postby katarn » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:40 pm

It's between Adlington, Hoy and Hamilton. Tbh, I wouldn't have a problem with either 3 of them winning - they've all achieved something special.

Hamilton, the youngest and only black person to win F1 championship, positive role model, etc.

Adlington first woman in yonks not to flap around like a mentalist and amazingly won 2 golds (through physical skill/training, no 'machine' required). My tip for winning.

Hoy, for just being so damn good. Elite of the elite when it comes to cycling. Awesome power.

I agree about Murray - achievement has to be part of it. If he wins a grand slam, I reckon he'll win next years (or at least he should). Best British player in generations.

Ainslie's also damn good. It's been a bumper crop this year. Remember the year when royal whatsherface horsie-chops won it? :x

XYZIA

Postby XYZIA » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:27 pm

It has to be Hoy, not only is he incredible, but he looks a really nice guy. I had a "Supreme Vantage Point" (those were the words of the invite thing) for the olympic parade, and he seemed just great.
Pokétrainer Owen wrote:Crouch and sidestep: FREE CRAB SIMULATOR

Prey wrote:niighty nighty ladewz and gernts!!! i am offf to get my sex ons. i jusurt hoope mr flopppy tackle is uop to the job

Gandalf

Postby Gandalf » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:35 pm

It's going to be Hamilton.

Olympians like Hoy or whatever are almost forgotten already in terms of media attention and public awareness. Each year it's always the most talked about personality, rather than the one that has achieved the most.

This year Hamilton has been the top dog, everyone is still going on about him. I don't even know who this "Hoy" is? Ha.

If Hamilton doesn't win, how could he ever win it. He's basically achieved all he can. He's at the top of his game right now. He's the youngest and only black person to have won the F1. If he wins next year it's less of an achievement...because he's already done it...

Dr. Football

Postby Dr. Football » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:36 pm

I should have said earlier that it probably will be Hoy. Can't really take anything away from that achievement. But there's a bit of me that thinks that it is so so so much harder to excel at ultra-competitive sports like Tennis, F1, Boxing or track & field that it's hard to view achievement in stuff like cycling and sailing -- events which Britain has dominated and which lots of nations don't compete in -- in the same way. Then again, I wouldn't really have anything against a snooker player winning it, so fair's fair I guess.

EDIT: Adam, do you think a poll on this would be interesting?

Adam

Postby Adam » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:12 pm

No.
www.thelineofbestfit.com

TKoN

Postby TKoN » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:22 am

katarn wrote:Ainslie's also damn good. It's been a bumper crop this year. Remember the year when royal whatsherface horsie-chops won it? :x

Zara Phillips, we were really scraping the barrel that year.
TKoN wrote:
Come RCHD your kidding yourself if you think Keegan will stay now.

RCHD wrote: I think he will for a while. Quote me on that.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:28 pm

I think Addlington should win it because she managed to win one gold that no one thought she had a chance at and then destroyed the competition and the world record to win the second, plus she is only 18.

Hamilton did well to win the championship at such a young age, but he nearly blew it again and he had an advantage in being in such a good team, same with Hoy as cycling gets a lot of money. So on balance I think Addlington's was the greater achievement. I think it will probably go to Hamilton though because he is in the media spotlight more.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Spartan

Postby Spartan » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:49 pm

I think it should definitely go to one of the successful Olympians, not incredibly fussed who, Adlington and Hoy both overachieved at an Olympic games, when was the last time anyone on the British team last did that in sports that aren't sailing or rowing? ¬_¬

Lewis Hamilton's probably the next big contender, though I'd wonder where he'd be without his team and particular car? I realize he's an excellent driver but this is why I'd stick the Olympians ahead of him, they managed it all under their own steam, after all! :P

Next

Return to A Question of Sport