Olympics / Athletics Thread

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Feet

Postby Feet » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:46 pm

Crazy stuff, Britain has won another 3 golds today.

Also, in 15 minutes it's Argentina vs Brazil in the Men's Football semi-final. Should be worth a watch.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/7534974.stm
I still love you.

Feet

Postby Feet » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:51 pm

Quality game of footie, even with all the gamesmanship the South America sides indulge in. Agies thrash Brazil 3 - 0, Brazil had two players sent off after they went 3 down and from there it was never in doubt.
I still love you.

Gandalf

Postby Gandalf » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:24 pm

Feet wrote:Quality game of footie, even with all the gamesmanship the South America sides indulge in. Agies thrash Brazil 3 - 0, Brazil had two players sent off after they went 3 down and from there it was never in doubt.

Managed to catch the second half after noticing your post. Guessing I didn't miss much in the first half but the second half was a right corker. Even at 2-0 down Brazil didn't look out of it and in honesty they were unlucky not to at least get one goal. Once Argentina got the penalty it was all over though.

Feet

Postby Feet » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:40 pm

Yeah the first half was a bit of a stalemate. Brazil had 5 across midfield.

Pato did score for Brazil at 2 - 0 down but was given offside. Was a close decision, I thought perhaps he was just on, but maybe I just wanted to see a closer fought last 25 minutes. As you say after the pen, it was all over and the Brazilians knew it, which was probably why two players lost their discipline and got sent off.
I still love you.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:38 am

Some idiot in the Mirror claims that we have only won 15 golds as Ohuruogou missed three drugs tests and is therefore a drugs cheat according to this guy.

Two silvers and a bronze so far today.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Adam

Postby Adam » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:11 pm

To be fair, some idiot has a point. If this was a Chinese athlete we were talking about, or, indeed, Rio Ferdinand, wouldn't we be up in arms about the fact that someone could miss THREE drugs tests - which is clearly deliberate and not a mistake - and still be allowed to compete in the Olympics only twelve months later, without having served even the same length of ban Rio did for missing one drugs test. I'm not saying she should be stripped of her medal, I'm not saying she's taking drugs or ever has been, but it's equally idiotic of you to, as usual, take such a biased stance on events.
www.thelineofbestfit.com

p.s. - I am wanking as I write this

Papa Lazarou

Postby Papa Lazarou » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:38 pm

:lol: Just saw a clip of Insane Bolt yawning on the warmup track.

He's just so relaxed.

JonB

Postby JonB » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:16 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:Some idiot in the Mirror claims that we have only won 15 golds as Ohuruogou missed three drugs tests and is therefore a drugs cheat according to this guy.

Two silvers and a bronze so far today.

Thats not even what the article said.

He was merely making the point that Adam made, and stated that he wouldn't be acknowledging it as one of our medals. It's not really idiotic.

RCHD

Postby RCHD » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:34 pm

Fucking Hell. That was incredible!

:o

Papa Lazarou

Postby Papa Lazarou » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:48 pm

Christ.

He is immense.

JonB

Postby JonB » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:49 pm

Yup, also loving all the live BBC streaming stuff. Was sat watching this in the library on my laptop. Made a nice break from revision! :D

Adam

Postby Adam » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:52 pm

Man alive, that was some really classy running. And another medal for us in the 400m hurdles! ^_^
www.thelineofbestfit.com

p.s. - I am wanking as I write this

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:02 pm

Hold on. 19.30. Divided by two is what...9.65 per each 100 metres?

If he can get a good start in the 100 metres, I think soon we'll be seeing some crazy times.

On a lower note, that Ukranian's failed a drugs test. Didn't she get done for it before...Why is she allowed back in but Dwain Chambers isn't?

Eny

Postby Eny » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:45 pm

I think there is a blanket ban for 5 years, then each country decides whether it will be longer or permanent. Only us and one other country currently do lifetime bans if I recall correctly.

I'm loving the slo-mo' camera replays this year, especially the women's volleyball and diving. There's nothing sweeter than curves in motion, just delicious. :D
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:12 am

Firstly she served a one year ban which ended a few weeks before the World Championships last year so she did serve a longer period than Ferdinand.
Secondly in the case when she was found guilty of missing the tests it was ruled that she had just been a forgetfull athelete and there was no sign that she had taken drugs. To say that she had missed the tests on purpose is totally without foundation in fact.
Thirdly there are two other atheletes at the games from the UK who have been in the same situation as Ohuruogou yet no one is complaining about them. It seems slightly unfair to single Ohuruogou out purely because she has succeeded.
You can make a point about how the medal might be tainted as she did miss the tests, but to say that it should be taken away from here when she served her ban and has never been found guilty of taking drugs is just mean spirited and that's why I was annoyed at the comments made in the Mirror.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

PreviousNext

Return to A Question of Sport