BBC vs. ITV, Euro 2008 coverage analysis

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Dr. Football

BBC vs. ITV, Euro 2008 coverage analysis

Postby Dr. Football » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:27 pm

I know we're a bit adverse to making new threads in here, but I didn't want to disrupt the main Euro 2008 chat and I think this needs discussing.

We've seen all 16 teams now and had a a few days to see BBCs and ITVs coverage.

BBC

Title sequence: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/video/2 ... television

Presenters:

* Gary Lineker (Main Show)
* Adrian Chiles (Highlights)
* Ray Stubbs (Pitch-side)
* Jake Humphrey (Focus)

Studio experts:

* Alan Hansen
* Alan Shearer
* Lee Dixon
* Gavin Peacock
* Marcel Desailly
* Gordon Strachan

Commentators:

* John Motson
* Jonathan Pearce
* Steve Wilson
* Guy Mowbray

Roving reporters:

* Garth Crooks
* Jacqui Oatley
* Damian Johnson

Co-commentators:

* Mark Lawrenson
* Mark Bright
* Gavin Peacock

ITV

Can't find the title sequence for some reason

Presenters:

* Steve Rider (Main Show)
* Matt Smith (Highlights)

Studio experts:

* Andy Townsend
* Random guests (so far: Gary Neville, Bolo Zenden, Dieter Hamman)

Commentators:

* Clive Tildsley
* Jon Champion
* Peter Drury
* Peter Brackley

Roving reporters:

* Ned Boulting
* Gabriel Clarke

Co-commentators:

* David Pleat
* Jim Beglin

Usually we'd expect the Beeb to be country miles ahead of ITV, but this year they are light years better. They just seem to be treating the tournament with more respect, barely even noticed Ingerland aren't there. ITV haven't even bothered to fly out there and, from what I've seen, aren't bothering with a highlight show either. I hate them, why do they even let ITV have matches?

I've hated just about every aspect of ITV's coverage so far save the elegant title sequence:

Rider is shite. A poor man's -- no, a destitute hungry beggar man's -- Des Lynam. I'd even prefer Gabby back, tbh. He clearly knows little to nothing about football and doesn't even give the impression that he cares. Just blandly slick and professional. Don't like him.

Andy Townsend is an ok, if predictable pundit, but where are the rest of the team? He's been on every night. They seem to be going for "one night only" type of deals: Gary Neville was as dull as dishwater, as you'd expect. Zenden was ok.

Then there's the commentary. Clive Tyldsey was awful during Portugal vs. Turkey. About as bad as he possibly could have been. A sample: "England, INGERLAND didn't qualify. The Premier League! The Premier League! Ronaldo! Ronaldo is the best! It's Ronaldo vs. Turkey! Can he wave his magic wand! Do me Christiano, I fucking love you! England! Kazim-Richards! The Premier League! Ronaldo!" -- it was actually much worse than that. He acted like any foreign players who didn't play in England didn't exist. He mentioned England at least every ten minutes. Fucking drop it you Edwin.

Then there was David Pleat, whose strange use of language and way of speaking always amuses me. His analysis is usually pretty good though but Tyldsley was in the worst form of his life and Pleat couldn't save it. Horrible. The best commentator they've got is Peter Brackley, who used to commentate on Serie A back in the halycon days of Gazetta on 4 and, of course, on Pro Evo. He's 4th in the pecking order.

As for BBC -- splitting up Motty and Lawrenson is just about the best thing they've done in years. Motson seems better without him, Mark Bright is no better really but at least they don't have all those stupid, unfunny old man laughing fits every 5 minutes. Lawrenson is getting worse and worse. It's like he's given up even watching and has already made all his conclusions before the game. His lack of knowledge of foreign teams verges on painful at times, it's sickening really.

In the studio, Hansen is unusually miserable and Shearer pretty much a waste of space. But I've been impressed with Strachen's contributions and O'Neill is, as ever, great. Love Marcel Desailly at pitch side too.

I know it's only been 4 days but I'd put BBC in the firm lead right now.

Eny

Postby Eny » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:30 pm

FFSP #-o
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Adam

Postby Adam » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:52 pm

What? I think that's a good analysis, and it does need to be said - ITV's coverage is so shockingly bad that it's surprising Ofcom haven't taken it off them yet.

Then there was David Pleat, whose strange use of language and way of speaking always amuses me.

I'm starting to think he might actually have something mentally wrong with him. He's always mis-pronounced names, usually putting stress on the wrong bit or Anglicising foreign names, but now he's just started inserting letters that aren't even there in - Benyanoon is the one that jumps immediately to mind.
www.thelineofbestfit.com

p.s. - I am wanking as I write this

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:01 pm

Mark Lawrenson

HATE.

Adam

Postby Adam » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:11 pm

He is a massive throbbing cock, yeah.
www.thelineofbestfit.com

Gandalf

Postby Gandalf » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:27 pm

Caught a bit of tonights highlights show and Gavin Peacock was on with Lee Dixon, probably my two favourite pundits.

Alan Shearer and Alan Hansen don't seem to get on to me. At times Alan Shearer makes a bad joke and I cringe because it seems clear that Hansen is laughing out of sympathy. Shearer has never been a good pundit I've felt, he's just got no personality whatsoever. Hansen can talk some good football but he's not likable.

Peacock and Dixon are great though. They both seem really ethusiastic. Lee Dixon always sounds like he's having fun discussing the football and although Peacock is at times serious he can also talk good footy too, obviously knows his shit. I believe Peacock is leaving the BBC after Euro 2008 to become a vicar or something. Surprised me.

Can't go wrong with Linekar, he's just one of those people you can't help liking and althought Adrian Chiles obviously knows little about football he gets by.

I can't really say much for the ITV coverage but...it just seem's so much cheaper. Like they've spent the smallest budget possible. It just looks shit. I know it's a football show so should be about football..but..for christ sake, get a fucking good looking set and nice idents. Sigh.

It's just as bad when they do Champions League coverage.

Adam

Postby Adam » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:35 pm

Adrian Chiles obviously knows little about football he gets by.

Well Chiles is a presenter rather than a football expert - obviously with Linekar you get both, but that's just because he happens to be talented as a presenter. Chiles is more passionate about football than just about anyone else on there though, and he does know his stuff, just doesn't phrase it as eloquently as the "experts". And it's not really his job to analyse, he just presents it.

And I agree, I like Dixon and Peacock too, Peacock especially, it's a shame he's leaving.
www.thelineofbestfit.com

Captain Bassoon

Postby Captain Bassoon » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:15 am

I find the BBC commentary is quite ropey in comparison to the ITV one at the moment. Analysts and presenters, I'm a BBC man through and through, but I think it's time Motty moved away from the mic and into the studio.
Bev wrote:Being a good sniper is morally on a par with being a good paedophile.

JohnyHumf wrote:Edam what the fuck have you done now?

Hikaru Sulu

Postby Hikaru Sulu » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:54 am

David Pleat is the worst commentator ever to infect the screens. Except possibly Graham le Saux. Bring back Big Ron I say!

Papa Lazarou

Postby Papa Lazarou » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:19 am

:lol:

Does anyone like Lawrenson?

I've honestly never met anyone who has a good word to say about him. (And countless who despise him, me included)

I bloody hate Jonathan 'Robot Wars' Pearce as well. His always-shouty voice just grates on my brain. :x

:Dan

Postby :Dan » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:26 am

'Arry was on last night alongside Andy: the butchery of the language was hideous.
I believe ITV highlights are on ITV4.

Feet

Postby Feet » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:31 am

BEEB

Lawro: Yes he's poor, but he's likely to make me laugh or atleast grin once or twice during a match, I like his very dry humour.

Motty: Definaetly better away from Lawro but you can definately tell he's getting slow in his old age. Get's names wrong and can't keep up with the action of a fast paced game.

Johnathon Pearce: Now he's packed in the channel 5 prepared tagline for each goal and actually does serious proper commentary I quite like him.

Alans: Dull. But I find both are quite good at communicating key points, but generally they don't reveal much more that the viewer hasn't already picked up themselves.

Dixon: Marvellous. Good natured, intelligent and generally eloquent. I loved Ian Wright for his passion for England but I admit that here he would be completely out of his depth and Lee is much much much better.

Stracho: Top man, eloquent and deeply knowledgeable about the game. Definitely brings additionally insight to analysis that all the others don't.

O'Neill: I struggle with him. He's funny, and he certainly sees things his own way, I just find it struggle to understand him.

THE OTHER SIDE
Commentators: Cack. All hypebole and empty statements. I like the one who did Football Italia though.
Pleat: Can't bear him either. The man pronounces every singe letter of players names, regardless of whether they're silent. For example Portugal have a player named Petit, it's pronounced Pet-ee, he insists on pronouncing as it is spelt, Pe-TIT. Yeah well, you're a bit of a TIT in all Dave. Fuck off.
Panel: Dunno, tbh, I don't even bother watching them at HT or FT, I go and do something more contructive.

In conclusion, I have opinions and they seem to indicate that the Beeb have bothered and ITV didn't.

Barry Davies > All.
I still love you.

:Dan

Postby :Dan » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:34 am

Has anyone tried using the 5Live commentary when watching a match on the BBC? It's odd having just about everything relayed to you while seeing the action too.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:16 am

I do like the Beebs intro milkes better than that artsy rubbish ITV have. As for the actually programs the BBC is as always streets ahead. ITV should just dump Steve and replace him with Matt Smith. He is about the only decent sports presenter on ITV.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Dr. Football

Postby Dr. Football » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:15 pm

eny wrote:FFSP #-o

You need to put similar cries of derision after every one else's posts now, just to be consistent.

Feet wrote:Alans: Dull. But I find both are quite good at communicating key points, but generally they don't reveal much more that the viewer hasn't already picked up themselves.

I feel I've learnt a lot from Hansen about the finer points of defending: for example, dropping off when playing against pace and pushing up when playing against a striker who is slow but good in the air. And stuff like the distance between the fullbacks and centre-backs and other positional stuff. He's good on all that, when he can be bothered.

Next

Return to A Question of Sport