Euro 2008

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Dr. Football

Euro 2008

Postby Dr. Football » Mon May 19, 2008 11:19 am

Ok, so it's starting soon. (7th June)

Group A

Czech Republic
Portugal
Switzerland
Turkey

Group B

Austria
Croatia
Germany
Poland

Group C

France
Italy
Netherlands
Romania

Group D

Greece
Russia
Spain
Sweden

List of the provisional squads: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2008_squads

Most obvious thing to note at this stage is OMFG look at Group C!!!!!

Aside from that, other early points of interest include:

1. Clarence Seedorf has ruled himself for Holland, which is surprising considering their other midfielders -- I'd have started him. Also, looking at the Dutch squad, WTF is Mario Melchiot doing there?! :?

2. Turkey left out their iconic striker Hakan Suker.

3. Italy squad is announced tomorrow.

4. Scolari left out Maniche who was sensational at Euro 2004.

5. Pavel Nedved has refused to return for the Czechs. Rosicky is also out for them.

XYZIA

Postby XYZIA » Mon May 19, 2008 11:28 am

I may refuse steadfastly to pay any attention whatsoever to this competition.
Pokétrainer Owen wrote:Crouch and sidestep: FREE CRAB SIMULATOR

Prey wrote:niighty nighty ladewz and gernts!!! i am offf to get my sex ons. i jusurt hoope mr flopppy tackle is uop to the job

Dr. Football

Postby Dr. Football » Mon May 19, 2008 11:38 am

XYZIA wrote:I may refuse steadfastly to pay any attention whatsoever to this competition.

:|

XYZIA

Postby XYZIA » Mon May 19, 2008 11:39 am

With England choosing not to participate and all.

Prey wrote:niighty nighty ladewz and gernts!!! i am offf to get my sex ons. i jusurt hoope mr flopppy tackle is uop to the job

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Mon May 19, 2008 11:49 am

:|

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Mon May 19, 2008 11:49 am

Clichy failed to make the Frence squad as did Trezeguet. What is Dominech on.

Personally I can't see past Italy this year. Everyone else seems to be going through a period of flux and looks pretty average. Germany will obviously be strong as always and their is the vague hope that Spain will get their act together, but with Italy's strong defence and midfield they are favourites for me.

Of the others Holland will self destruct as always Czech Republic are nowhere near the team they used to be, Portugal look like they will be relying too much on Ronaldo and Russia looked pretty average when we played them.

Outsiders wise I fancy Croatia to go pretty far.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Feet

Postby Feet » Mon May 19, 2008 12:08 pm

XYZIA wrote:I may refuse steadfastly to pay any attention whatsoever to this competition.

Then you only confirm what we all already knew, you are a moron and you are not a football fan.

I shall take Spain as my surrogate team for the tournament. I know they are perpetually the nearly men, but I think they could go far this year.
I still love you.

Girdag

Postby Girdag » Mon May 19, 2008 12:18 pm

I'm adopting the Czechs, I've got an irrational liking for the team.
We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

XYZIA

Postby XYZIA » Mon May 19, 2008 12:20 pm

Really, I'll be supporting Italy. I like Italy, and manage them in Football manager so it's only natural.

I would do spain, as my dad practically used to work there, but I don't really have any other reason to.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Mon May 19, 2008 12:28 pm

I'll be supporting Portugal this time round. I'm going to miss the excitement of seeing England play though :cry:

Feet

Postby Feet » Mon May 19, 2008 12:32 pm

I shan't miss the disappointment.

It'll be nice to just be neutral and enjoy the games for what they are.
I still love you.

:Dan

Postby :Dan » Mon May 19, 2008 12:36 pm

Girdag wrote:I'm adopting the Czechs, I've got an irrational liking for the team.

Ya, me too.

Yay for getting in after work on an afternoon and watching some good football with a brewski.

Dr. Football

Postby Dr. Football » Mon May 19, 2008 12:42 pm

Personally, I'm relishing seeing a tournament without England -- it'll weed out all the rubbish fans who aren't really interested in football and hopefully keep Ian Wright off our screens as much as possible. Being Welsh, I don't tend to support England anyway.

Feet wrote:I shall take Spain as my surrogate team for the tournament. I know they are perpetually the nearly men, but I think they could go far this year.

:lol: How much is that trotted out at every major tournament?! Poor old Spain, they almost have too many good players. On paper at least, they probably have the best squad by some margin.

DjchunKfunK wrote:Personally I can't see past Italy this year. Everyone else seems to be going through a period of flux and looks pretty average. Germany will obviously be strong as always and their is the vague hope that Spain will get their act together, but with Italy's strong defence and midfield they are favourites for me.

Looking at their squad (see here: http://italy.worldcupblog.org/euro-2008 ... maybe.html)

They don't look that good. I know they won the World Cup, but in truth that was the poorest Italy squad for years.

Their first choice team is probably going to be something like this: Buffon -- Zambrotta/ Oddo, Materazzi/ Barzaghli, Cannavaro, Grosso/ Panucci -- Pirlo, Gattuso, Ambrosini -- Cameronesi, De Rossi -- Del Piero/ Di Natale, Toni

That defence isn't all that great is it? Neither Materazzi or Barzaghli have anything like the class of Nesta (retired from internationals). They are pretty unsettled at fullback too. Milan's Oddo has never really convinced me and Zambrotta has been on poor form for Barca. Cannavaro and Panucci are both 34. Grosso is hardly an amazing leftback either.

Then look at the midfield, it's needlessly narrow, difficult to see where the creativity is going to come from, don't forget that Totti retired. They do look decent up front however, plenty of goals in Di Natale and Toni.

It will be interesting to see if Donadoni picks Del Piero or Cassano (who, by all accounts, has been on cracking form for Sampdoria this year). I think he definitely should, just to inject a bit of flair into the side.

I foresee a quarter-final finish for the Italians with the French out first round.

My money would go on Portugal this year. Possibly Spain too, but there always always bottle it -- they are even worse than England for that.

XYZIA

Postby XYZIA » Mon May 19, 2008 12:46 pm

Did they even qualify for the world cup?

Or am I completely confused.

Dr. Football

Postby Dr. Football » Mon May 19, 2008 12:50 pm

XYZIA wrote:Did they even qualify for the world cup?

Or am I completely confused.

Who? Spain? Course they did.

Sailed through the group stage with three wins only to be promptly beaten in the second round by France. Zidane's goal in the last minute was the start of his dramatic re-surgence on the march towards the final.

Next

Return to A Question of Sport