Euro 2008

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Dr. Football

Postby Dr. Football » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:17 pm

Adam wrote:When was Ramos ever a centre-back?

Always has been. Real originally bought him to replace Fernando Hierro in 2005.

Never really been convinced by him, despite the massive hype and price tag.

Adam

Postby Adam » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:53 pm

No, he hasn't. He definitely played right-back all this season, and I'm pretty sure he was a right-sided player at Seville. He might have been bought with the intention of converting him, but he's definitely not primarily a CB.
www.thelineofbestfit.com

p.s. - I am wanking as I write this

Dr. Football

Postby Dr. Football » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:58 pm

There's only one way to find out for sure Adam: Football Manager.

Get his profile up, click on "positions".

Next to his primary position it'll say "natural" and next to his adopted role it'll say "accomplished".

That's pretty much full proof. I'm working right now or I'd do it myself.

Adam

Postby Adam » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:03 pm

Or the ever-reliable Wiki ¬_¬

Ramos began his career as a well-regarded right-side defender, a position he was able to keep for the majority of his early career.
www.thelineofbestfit.com

p.s. - I am wanking as I write this

Cheye

Postby Cheye » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:22 pm

Queen wrote:except for cameroon of course.

What's with the anti-Cameroon sentiment on Preys-World. They got to the final of this year's ANC, yet people seem to begrudge their position above England, who didn't qualify for Euro 2008 and can't beat Macedonia at home.

Also, Sergio Ramos played centre back a lot more frequently for Real Madrid before Pepe and Metzelder were bought. Real Madrid's back four the season 2006-2007:

Salgado/Torres Ramos Cannavaro/Helguera Carlos

He only flirted with the right back position when Salgado and Carlos were injured, meaning Torres went to the left and Cannavaro and Helguera partnered in the middle.

The season before that you're looking at:

Salgado Ramos Helguera/Woodgate/Mejia/Pavon (rotation due to shitness and/or injury) Carlos

Last season was more like:

Ramos Pepe Cannavaro Heinze/Marcelo

Except when Pepe was injured Ramos came in and Salgado played on the right. Schuster doesn't rate Torres.

Dr. Football

Postby Dr. Football » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:25 pm

Just had a look Adam

He's got "natural" for both right-back and centre-back.

We were both right, or wrong, or whatever.

The BBC guy was wrong to say he was "playing out of position" too.

His stats are obscene by the way, 14+ for almost everything apart from corners, finishing and shooting. Over 16 for most of em.

Did he play right-back for Real this year then? Who was in the centre? Cannavaro and who? Pepe? Metzelder? Heinze? I didn't get to see much La Liga after losing Sky but I was under the impression Ramos played centre with either Miguel Torres or even the aging Michel Salgado at right-back. If only Sid Lowe was here eh?

EDIT: Who needs Sid Lowe when you've got Cheye? :lol: That was awesome mate; quite literally: "just what the doctor ordered".

Captain Hogan

Postby Captain Hogan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Cheye wrote:
What's with the anti-Cameroon sentiment on Preys-World. They got to the final of this year's ANC, yet people seem to begrudge their position above England, who didn't qualify for Euro 2008 and can't beat Macedonia at home.

It's just Cameroon have always been completly out classed when they've managed to qualify for major tournaments, playing against quaitly opposistion (something which isn't really true of the ACN). That and they're above Egypt the Winners of the last two ACN, and above teams (like Ivory Coast and Ghana) that qualified and gave a good account of themselves at the last world cup.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:42 pm

Yeah getting to the finals of the ANC isn't exactly a good way to judge the quality of a national team.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Previous

Return to A Question of Sport