What Has Been the Best Premiership XI/ Squad

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Cheye

Postby Cheye » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:06 pm

I'm still confused. Could you link to this player's Wikipedia page? Have you got a picture of him? Cristiano Zanetti hasn't played for his country for about four years. Do you mean Inter's Javier Zanetti?

Yeah, he's pretty good.

Zael

Postby Zael » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:11 pm

Isn't Javier Zanetti a right back? I'm guessing you can get his wiki page if you just wiki him.

I don't know what more I can say, I like him. Not a superstar but still decent.

Cheye

Postby Cheye » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:53 pm

Zael wrote:I'm guessing you can get his wiki page if you just wiki him.

Ah, OK. Yeah, found it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cristiano_Zanetti

"However, he has not been called up to the Italian national team since Euro 2004."

Zael

Postby Zael » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:45 pm

He's old, i'm not denying that. But i'd rate him over Gattuso who's playing for the national side now. Although that could be because I don't really rate Gattuso.

I don't know why you're pushing this tbh, I've said all I can say. I think he' solid and brings experience to the team.

Cheye

Postby Cheye » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:01 pm

Because you said he fits well into his country. Which he doesn't. I don't agree that he's old either. 31 is a fine age for a footballer.

Zael

Postby Zael » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:52 pm

:lol: Argumentitve are we? Fine he did fit well into his country untill Gattuso took his place which I reckon isn't the right decision.

31 is old, at 31 you'll be lucky to sign for a big club because you havn't much left.

Dr. Football

Postby Dr. Football » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:42 am

I don't know where you're going with this Zanetti thing Zael. As you might know I've always been a big fan of Italy. I've followed them really closely all my life. To the best of my knowledge: at World Cup 2002, Trappatoni played with this ultra-defensive 4-4-2 in which he played Tomassi in front of a flat back 4 one of either Di Biagio or Zanetti sightly ahead of him and then Doni and Totti sort of in the middle ahead of them (i.e. no wingers). Zanetti was a box-to-box "fetcher and carrier" in that side. As you say, nothing spectacular -- a negative player in a negative side.

Then in Euro 2004 it was already the Gatusso-Pirlo partnership. Zanetti may have played like one game. Not at it matters cos Italy were shite at both those tournaments due to Trap's defensiveness. Then Lippi -- that's the World Cup winning -- didn't pick him.

Not having a go or anything Zael, it's just that I find your perseverance with this thoroughly average Nicky Butt of a player entertaining and endearing in equal measure. ;) Gatusso is miles better btw. ;)

Tommy wrote:Parv, do you watch your Foreign football on the internet? Or just watch it on Setanta?

Sadly this season I don't get to watch any.

Last season I got free sky sport (though my girlfriend) and so could watch the Spanish games and Italian football was on Five -- hilariously bad show but at least I got to see the games.

But my gf moved to BBC and I can't justify almost £20 a month extra for footie.

Back in the day I used to watch the glorious Football Italia on Channel 4, arguably one of the best football shows ever on British TV: it had James Richardson presenting (always in some Italian cafe with a big ice cream) and Peter Drury on commentary. My love of Italian football and AC Milan comes mainly from watching that.

In Wales we also had a show called Sgorio, which was in Welsh and featured hilariously loud Welsh commentary "OOOOOOhh Batistuta ywn!!" They basically showed all the goals from around Europe in a big round up show. We used to watch it with the 888 subtitles on teletext. Good days.
Last edited by Dr. Football on Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

XYZIA

Postby XYZIA » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:44 am

What does your girlfriend do in the BBC anyway?
Pokétrainer Owen wrote:Crouch and sidestep: FREE CRAB SIMULATOR

Prey wrote:niighty nighty ladewz and gernts!!! i am offf to get my sex ons. i jusurt hoope mr flopppy tackle is uop to the job

Adam

Postby Adam » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:46 am

Richardson should get Peter Drury to come into the pod at some point. That would be awesome.

Dr. Football

Postby Dr. Football » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:47 am

XYZIA wrote:What does your girlfriend do in the BBC anyway?

Reports like this one, fastforward to 1.07 and you can see her.

Adam wrote:Richardson should get Peter Drury to come into the pod at some point. That would be awesome.

They never have guests on do they. I remember they had Ince on once randomly but that's about it.

Adam

Postby Adam » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:50 am

Would.

Spartan

Postby Spartan » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:15 am

In Wales we also had a show called Sgorio, which was in Welsh and featured hilariously loud Welsh commentary "OOOOOOhh Batistuta ywn!!"

Haha! One of the only reasons I watched (terrestrial :( ) TV along with 'Match of the Day', 'Scrum V' and it's S4C equivalent, 'Y Clwb Rygbi'.

The commentary on Sgorio is ace though, the commentator's obviously very passionate, the screaming and howling definitely reflects it. :)

Anyone got any recommended websites for watching sport? I've been recommended sopcast on this forum in the past and whilst I had a lot of help with it, unfortunately, due to a change of accommodation, and one with draconic P2P monitoring at that, I can't use the darned thing... :(

Previous

Return to A Question of Sport