Applause or Silence

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Hikaru Sulu

Applause or Silence

Postby Hikaru Sulu » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:46 pm

Which do you think is more appropriate to commemorate someone? The question occurs to me due to the upcoming 50th anniversary of the Munich air disaster. There will be a minute silence before the match against City, and the City supporters club have asked that it be changed to a minute applause to drown out those that will boo. Now, I'm sure we all know that there will be some contemptible people that will boo during the silence - in the same way that there are some pieces of human excrement who, as United fans, would boo during a commemoration for the Hillsborough disaster.

But in more general terms, which do you think is more appropriate? I am inclined to say a minute silence. There is supposed to be silence so that you can stop and think about whoever is being commemorated. It is also more moving if it is silent - you don't hear that in large stadia. I personally think that clapping isn't a particularly great way to commemorate someone - it's great if they're alive to receive it, but that's not the point of a commemorative event.

I've used 'commemorate' too many times in this post, and it now seems like a silly word to me ¬_¬.

Smurf

Postby Smurf » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:55 pm

Depends on what it's for. I believe a minutes silence is best for commemorating events such as Munich and Hillsborough, but a minutes applause is better as a form of celebrating someones life. Applause just seems a better way of remembering their achievments and celebrating that rather than mourning their death to me.

EDIT: A better way of putting it is that a minutes silence to good for remembering an event which took lives, but a minutes applause is a good way of remembering and celebrating an individual.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:02 pm

Applause, definitely. It also generates a bit of atmosphere that carries on into the match.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:42 pm

I think it is better to appreciate and celebrate someones achievements in life rather than focus on the fact that they are dead when it comes to sport. So I think applause are better.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Hikaru Sulu

Postby Hikaru Sulu » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:00 pm

Hmmm, well, I am of the opinion that is better to actually pause to think about them, and their lives. Applauding is just a bit mundane. Nobody actually thinks about their achievements whilst they applaud, it's just a physical action. And after a minutes silence there generally is a burst of applause, which is all the more sincere because a fair number of people have just been thinking about said player.

Spartan

Postby Spartan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:33 pm

I think there's something more impressive to getting several thousand people to hush themselves in memory of something/someone and that silence would also be a stark contrast to the rest of the match which ain't exactly going to be silent.

Vidrageon

Postby Vidrageon » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:01 pm

However, a real rousing round of applause can be very moving too, celebrating the life of the person and his accomplishments.

Nacho

Re: Applause or Silence

Postby Nacho » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:02 pm

Larinson wrote:There is supposed to be silence so that you can stop and think about whoever is being commemorated.

Who does though? You think, oh it's vaguely sad these people I never personally knew died, then you twiddle your thumbs and think of pink rabbits and sex and whatever for the remaining 58 seconds of the minute.
My sweater is on backwards and inside out,
and you say how appropriate

Plant

Postby Plant » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:19 pm

Silence is much more profound in a normally very noisy environment.
Prey wrote:i just fell up the stairs right on my fsace oopsiei

Hikaru Sulu

Re: Applause or Silence

Postby Hikaru Sulu » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:13 pm

Nacho wrote:
Larinson wrote:There is supposed to be silence so that you can stop and think about whoever is being commemorated.

Who does though? You think, oh it's vaguely sad these people I never personally knew died, then you twiddle your thumbs and think of pink rabbits and sex and whatever for the remaining 58 seconds of the minute.

Hmm, well I do. It depends on the situatio, for instance when I was at the match following George Best's death I thought specifically about him for the minute. When there is silence on November 11th I generally think about people I know in the military, and various stories I've heard about people who have fought and died.

If I don't know the person it is about, then I generally will maintain a respectful silence for the minute. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Return to A Question of Sport