BTCC - British Touring cars

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Chickenboy

BTCC - British Touring cars

Postby Chickenboy » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:41 pm

2005 & 2006 champion Matt Neal's new car for 2007, 5dr Civic.

A typical BTCC exit from Paddock Hill Bend at Brands Hatch, taken by me in 2005...

--

I've not heard any chat of this awesome tin-top racing series on Preys-World before, but I think some of you must watch it or follow it, or probably should, for several reasons:

It's home to some of the closest, body-scraping racing in motorsport today.

Cars actually overtake, all the time, and usually crash spectacularly in the process.

Each racing Sunday in the Touring Car calendar sees THREE 25-odd lap races over the course of the day, meaning it's excellent value for money. Also, for your £22 ticket to the racing, you get to see about 10 other support races, which include: Various open wheel one-type races (Formula Ford, Formula Renault et. al), Heritage Car Cup (Old Astons, E-types and Mustangs), the Porsche Carrera Cup, and the insane Renault Clio Cup. The latter sees lots of well-off business men racing around in dirt cheap Clios - seeing 30 of them going through the first bend at Brands, 5-abreast is a sight to behold. They also crash lots.

It's British championship, so you have plenty of chances to follow it around the country, as well as not having to learn how to pronounce some dirty foreigner's moniker.

Finally: did I mention that they crash lots?

This year's season starts a week on Sunday, April the 1st, at Brands Hatch in Kent. Tickets are on sale online from Motorsport Vision and are £22, or £27 on the gate.

I generally only make it to the Brands Hatch events each year (the BTCC usually goes there twice, at the start and at the end of the season), but it would be awesome to get some of you guys going and possibly meet up. It's also something of a petrolhead's dream wandering around the Paddock/Pits, gawping at not only the race cars, but some of the private Ferraris and suchlike.

So, who else has been known to spend Sunday afternoons either in front of ITV, or coughing up dust from a recently ravaged gravel trap?

:Dan

Postby :Dan » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:39 pm

Is it actually still on telly? I've been to Donnington a few times which was fun. But only after I used to love TOCA 2.

PS: I wish ITV would sort out their coverage of the WRC.

Chickenboy

Postby Chickenboy » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:28 pm

Yep, it's still on telly. This Sunday it's on ITV3 from 4pm til 5.30pm.

Chickenboy

Postby Chickenboy » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:07 pm

I'm off to this early tomorrow morning, braving the M25 and some hideous tailbacks around the Dartford crossing. Hopefully some of you'll find it on ITV3 from 4pm-5.30pm. They'll show the highlights of the first 2 races of the day, and show the final one in its entirety, live.

Hoping to see lots of bodypanels rubbed, graveltraps tripped, and rubber burnt.

I'm just looking forward to seeing how the diesel BMW 1 series sounds, and whether the token woman driver can still trouble the chaps.

BANG

Chickenboy

Postby Chickenboy » Sun May 06, 2007 9:12 am

3rd round of this year's season at Thruxton, shown partially live on ITV3 at 4pm. It's probably going to be very good, so you should watch it. Yey.

Papa Lazarou

Postby Papa Lazarou » Sun May 06, 2007 7:49 pm

It's good stuff, but it's not a spot on the FIA GT Championship. I wish they'd get that on ITV. Or better still, BBC. One can dream. :cry:

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:05 pm

MEGA BUMP!

The first races of the 2008 season and highlights of the support races (I think) are on ITV4 from 12:30 til 5.00. So a full afternoon of massive accidents for all. Whoop!
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Chickenboy

Postby Chickenboy » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:06 pm

The 2008 season starts tomorrow at brands, I'm off to see it again, woo! Looking forward to seeing if the Seat team can manage their usual victories now that they're using DERV!

:Dan

Postby :Dan » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:37 pm

Whoop. And the Argentinian rally will be on Dave, will it not?

Chickenboy

Postby Chickenboy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:22 pm

What a fantastic day at Brands! Excellent LOUD racing, generally good physical BTCC action.

It's the 50th anniversary year of BTCC and lots of celebs were there, we heard from Murray Walker!

Unfortunately, as a result, there were lots of ex-BTCC drivers in attendance, and the plane which crashed in Kent had two of them on board, David Leslie (raced for Nissan in the late 90s) and Richard Lloyd.

:(

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:02 pm

Chickenboy wrote:The 2008 season starts tomorrow at brands, I'm off to see it again, woo! Looking forward to seeing if the Seat team can manage their usual victories now that they're using DERV!

Arf, no posts for a year then two come along at once ¬_¬

I don't think you would have seen much of it at the track side, but the battle for first place in the third race was epic. However Jackson's inexperience as a BTCC driver was shown when he kept trying to pass unsuccessfully only for the camera to cut to a "Classic Matt Neal" manouver of ramming the other car out of the way.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Chickenboy

Postby Chickenboy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:04 pm

Hey, three posts in a row :P

I'll have to catch the highlights tomorrow, wherever we stood seemed to be the wrong place :D But there was some fairly epic racing today, a great day out! I just wish it had rained more :(

Return to A Question of Sport