UFC 61 Monday 10th 9pm Bravo

They think its all over... got cancelled.

threelions

UFC 61 Monday 10th 9pm Bravo

Postby threelions » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:23 pm

Okay this is actually on Saturday in the States but its looking like we'll have to wait till bloody Monday to see it. Apparently Bravo are worried about the World Cup Final ruining veiwing figures(they normally show it on 24hr delay sunday at 10pm). As its on after the match and England are out im not sure how theyve come to that conclusion but there you go.

It's not confirm yet but thats the way they are advertising it.

So anyway we should all avoid any sites that carry UFC news and by "we" i mean me and Neb obviously and by "me and Neb" i mean Neb as im going to try and use my internet sources to watch it live. :P

So any way just going to mention the line up and matches etc. But first a little taste. Access All Areas is a show Spike(the USA's Bravo) show before UFC PPV usually showing whichever champ is topping the bill, they go through their training and a little hype to build up the fight as Arvloski and Mir have been done before its Tito's turn. Unfortunatley to pay for hte show they get sponsorship from a company that anyone watching the UFC will have heard of "Xycience!!!" a crap suppliment company that has a shit load of money and pays the UFC to endorse them.

No fighter actually uses their products but they get paid alot to say they do , funniest moment being when Matt Hughes did his Acess show and did his little Xycience plug with twon massive Muscle Milk containers(rival and actually good brand) in the background.

So a few crappy plugs but a cool show and a fit bird doing the presenting.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/331139

Now onto the fights. Im just going to do the top guys or i'll be here all day.

Tim Sylvia Vs. Andrei Arlovski

Not sure if this is topping the bill(it is hte heavyweight championship) but its listed top.

Tim Sylvia the current champ. Sylvia came on the scene a scary 6ft 8" he defeated Ricco Rodrigez which was a shock as Ricco was considered far to skillful for him. After a short ban for steroid abuse that Sylyvia put down to wanting a six pack(he has a strange skinny but flabby look) he came back to take on the highly rated youngster Frank Mir(also fighting on the card).

Slyvia lost to a very nasty armbar, he refused to tap even when his forearm was broken forcing the ref to step in and call a TKO.

During his recovery Frank Mir was involved in a nasty motorbike accident which left the Title vacant. So Sylvia met Arlovski for the vacant title. Going in for a big haymaker he was caught with a great punch and went to the canvas, Arlovski a Sambo champ(submission style of fighting) immediatly jumped on him and got in a ankle lock to get the tap. Sylvia saying he didnt want to spend another few months out recovering by not tapping this time.

Last UFC He got his rematch after two dominating fights. It looked to be a carbon copy of the first as Arlovski hammered Sylvia and had him down but Arlovski failed to go for a submission preferring to try to take him out with strikes, as he charged in Sylvia caught him with a great upper cut that sent him to the matt. Sylvia jumped on him straight away and pounded down on Arlovski, who's arm was trapped underneath his body andalthough he wasnt knocked out he was unable to defend himself and the ref had no choice but to stop the fight.

Tim Sylvia was crown Champ.

Andrei Arlovski, from Belarus has been a phenom in the UFC a poster boy they desperatly needed in the heavyweight division, after a few early losses and a fullbody wax(a walking rug he was) he was primped and primed for the title. His devistating strikes and Sambo submissions had him blasting his way through fighters until he took the vacant crown from Sylvia.

Since that fight he dominated his opposition in amazing style hardly breaking sweat as he knocked everyone out. But then came the rematch with Sylvia and some have put his loss down to over confidence after beating substandard opposition in a fairly thread bare Heavyweight division. So this fight has become a must win if he is to prove himself the unstoppable force he has been advertised as.

Tito Ortiz Vs. Ken Shamrock

Tito has said he will retire Shamrock. This is 99.999999999999% true, if Shamrock even manages to put up a decent fight he will have caused an upset.

Tito demolished Shamrock in their last fight putting on a show of old vs new and showing that Shamrockand the old timers just dont have the mix of skills needed in the modern day UFC.

Tito riding a crest of a wave of popularity after the TUF show and Ken Shamrock seeming to have shown his inability to coach and lack of compassion for his fighters.

Shamrock seems to be after one last pay day he was beaten by Tito, beaten by Rich Franklin(current middleweight champ) and beaten by Sakuruba(Japanese legend) two of those guys are naturally alot smaller than Shamrock and both finished him, Franklin by TKO and Sak after a flurry of punches just after the opening bell(Shamrock clamied it was an early stoppage but had his back to Sak hanging through the ropes not looking good). Tito is probably a natural heavyweight who cuts down to Light heavyweight so although not known for knockout power he will probably be able to finish Ken in one.

Tito is looking to reinvent himself from the loudmouth young punk he started out as to the new mature Tito as he aims to regain his Lightheavyweight Title he lost to Chuck Liddel.

Others to look out for(if Bravo show them)

Dan Christison Vs. Frank Mir

Frank Mir former Heavyweight champ who had to relinquish his title after a motorbike accident. lost in his comeback fight but should win against a TUF2 fighter who isnt upto much.

Yves Edwards Vs. Joe Stevenson

Stevenson TUF2 winner lost his debuit fight on points but has a lot of potential. Yves a vetran and great kickboxer.
I went into the gas station, said, "Fill 'er up, Harry."
The guy said, "Regular?"
I said, "No, put on a gorrila suit and dance like a fairy."

threelions

Postby threelions » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:45 am

Currently watching this overthe net and i wont give away any of the results but there's been a huge announcement!!!!

Wanderli Silva is coming over from Pride to fight Chuck Liddel!!! Silva is rated as pound for pound the best Light Heavyweight in the world. Pride and the UFC are big rivals this happening is amazing.

Silva Highlight

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... RLEI+SILVA
The guy said, "Regular?"

Nilly

Postby Nilly » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:52 am

:D

Thanks Tony, awesomeness. :D Cant wait for the Tito v Shamrock fight, mainly because I want Shamrock to get his arsed kicked. ¬_¬

That guy you posted at the bottom though. :shock: Even Bisping might have problems with that one. :o I thought there were rules about stamping repeteadly on peoples heads?
eVol wrote:Nilly tops my cool peoples list! :D

threelions

Postby threelions » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:55 pm

Neb wrote::D

Thanks Tony, awesomeness. :D Cant wait for the Tito v Shamrock fight, mainly because I want Shamrock to get his arsed kicked. ¬_¬

That guy you posted at the bottom though. :shock: Even Bisping might have problems with that one. :o I thought there were rules about stamping repeteadly on peoples heads?

The rules for PRide and UFC are slightly different. In Pride you can knee and kick a downed opponent but cannot use elbows in the UFCyou can use elbows but not kick or knee a downed opponent.

Silva is the best guy in the LHW division he fought in the UFC in his early career and did lose to Tito on points but it was close and he almost knocked Tito out at one point. Since then he has become a much better fighter and has even taken on heavyweights(they still occasionally have mixed weight class fights in Japan).

They have exchanged fighters before when chuck Liddell went and took part in the Middleweight Grand Prix(Pride weight classes are different lhw is called mw) where a set number of fighters fight each other usual two fights in a night till a winner is decided and is crowned the Grand Prix Champ he then gets a shot at the title.

Liddell did well beating a good fighter called Alistair Overeem a dutch kickboxer. He then lost to a guy called Rampage Jackson a very powerful and skilled fighter. Rampage is the black guy you see getting smashed by Silva in that highlight clip. So Liddell has his work cut out.

His advantage's are his great KO power and the fact Silva prefers to fight in a ring rather than a cage. But Silva is massively aggresive and has been in with heavyweights so can take a punch.

Its supposed to take place in November as long as Liddekll wins his next title match versus a guy called Sobaral a brazillian with both striking and submission skills, but Chuck has beaten him pretty convincingly before so shouldnt be a problem.

This is going to be a massive fight, i cant wait!!! Also theyve announced that this will be the first of many swaps between the two organisations. Im hoping they get Fedor from Pride over he's the best Heavyweight in the world and many consider him the best fighter pound for pound in MMA.

Fedor Highlight

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 50&q=fedor

Fedor Vs Cro Cop

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 64&q=fedor

Fedor vs Zulu

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 56&q=fedor

As for UFC 61 i wont spoil any results but will say the shows 50/50 some good fights some boring ones.
The guy said, "Regular?"

Nilly

Postby Nilly » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:10 pm

Sounds awesome. :D

These people look tough, but I'm sure you could 'ave em Tony. :wink: Show em a bit of British fighting, throw yourself in with a flying knee to the nadgers!

EDIT: And bugger me, that Zulu guy was huge, and it looked like he hardly even tried! :shock:

threelions

Postby threelions » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:36 pm

Just add a few vids

Rampage Jackson Highlight

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... ge+jackson

Also if you like these highlights sign upto http://www.subfighter.com/ (its free) they have a highlight section thats you can download some great clips from.

Genki Sudo Highlight. Interesting character, fought in Pride, UFC, Pancrase and is contracted to K1 at the moment i think.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 25&q=pride

Pride KO compilation.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9466&q=mma

Frank Shamrock Highlight - 100 times the fighter his adopted brother is retired early but recently made a comback in a small organisation called Strikeforce, yet to say if its a permanant comback or just a one off.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... q=shamrock
The guy said, "Regular?"

Nilly

Postby Nilly » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:04 pm

The first fight was pretty good, second wasnt bad. Lots of bleeding, although I think it wasnt as bad as it looked, I always wonder how a punch could cause a knife-like gash.

Still, Shamrock and Tito was a bit dissapointing, i was hoping for at least 2 rounds of them beating the crap out of each other (or just Tito beating Shamrock ¬_¬), instead it was over too quickly, although i suppose rules are rules.

Last fight was a bit sucky.

threelions

Postby threelions » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:59 pm

Neb wrote:The first fight was pretty good, second wasnt bad. Lots of bleeding, although I think it wasnt as bad as it looked, I always wonder how a punch could cause a knife-like gash.

Still, Shamrock and Tito was a bit dissapointing, i was hoping for at least 2 rounds of them beating the crap out of each other (or just Tito beating Shamrock ¬_¬), instead it was over too quickly, although i suppose rules are rules.

Last fight was a bit sucky.

I missed the Bravo show so dont know which fights they showed.

Tito Shamrock was disappointing but Shamrock was practically out and if the ref hadnt stepped in he would have been smashed to peices in seconds. He has this thing where he gets hit and his brain stops, then as soon as the fights stopped he wakes up and thinks nothing wrong when he's actually been smahed up. Did the same in his last fight in Pride against a guy called Sakuruba(sp?) he was out he hanging between the ropes, as soon as the ref stops it he jumps up acting like he was fine but you could see he wasnt. Shamrock just proved he should have retired a few years ago. Though i loved Tito's slam.

Yves was the guy that got cut , ton of blood for a small cut.

The Mir fight(big fat out of shape guy former champ. Didnt think much of it, apprantly he was thrown out of his gym in the run up to the fight for not training properly.

Did they show the Josh Burkman fight? Shaven head, trains with Tito? Had a good fight.

Jeff Monson fight wasnt bad (big built guy with a ton of tattoos) he's next in line for a shot at the Heavyweight title.

Yeah the Sylvia v Arvloski fight was terrible i was almost tempted to give it away and tell you not to bother with it lol. Neither deserved to win that they fought so badly.
The guy said, "Regular?"

Return to A Question of Sport