Wimbledon 06

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Nethlyn

Wimbledon 06

Postby Nethlyn » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:56 am

Well that's Henman out of the way and we're not going to have any more wasted time in the press about "I think I can win".

While the women's game is pretty much wide open depending on injuries and cheating umpires, can anyone topple Federer or is he going to continue his Sampras-style dominance?

Crowley

Postby Crowley » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:08 pm

I'm hoping for Agassi to give Wimbledon a grand exit, but with his back problems I don't really see it happening. He can still be a threat though, as seen when he took a set from Federer in the US Open last year.
Obviously the biggest threats to Federer are Nadal and Roddick, Nadal more than ever, as the French Open rivalry is still quite fresh, and Nadal is looking to make the most of his all-court ambition at a Grandslam. And Roddick is still one of the biggest hitters around, which can trouble Federer sometimes.

All in all though, I think the Mens won't be nearly as open as the womens, which has a great line up of all rounders. I've never liked the big hitters like the Williams sisters or Mauresmo, though they'll obviously be strong favourites given Mauresmo's #1 seed and Venus William's defense on the line. It'll be much more interesting to see players like Clijsters and Henin-Hardenne battkle it out in shot placement rallys.
Also, this year will see Martina Hingis return to Wimbledon, and I don't think this can be underestimated. Hingis has had a great comeback, and will be riding high off her victory in Rome on clay last month. She hasn't shown what she can do on grass yet, but Wimbledon will be the time to watch her, as this is the big one for her.
Sharapova too will be looking to answer critics of her grass court performance by regaining the title.
And as an outside bet, Daniella Hantuchova is finally looking on delivering on promise. Her fitness is back up, she's looks great on grass, and she a fantastic shot placer when she doesn't let nerves get to her in the big tournaments. Now that she's a bit older maybe she'll be able to cope with the centre court matches better than she has in the past.

Predictions:
Men's - Federer
Women's - Clijsters

MajorTom

Re: Wimbledon 06

Postby MajorTom » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:03 pm

NethLyn wrote:Well that's Henman out of the way and we're not going to have any more wasted time in the press about "I think I can win".

While the women's game is pretty much wide open depending on injuries and cheating umpires, can anyone topple Federer or is he going to continue his Sampras-style dominance?

I don't think Federer is Sampras-esque. Sampras was wam bam oh look he's won again. Federer is more woah that was incredible, he's really good. But yeah Federer should win this year.

I'd always like Henman to do well but he just annoys me the way he restrains all his emotion unlike Murray. And all the bullshit about how Henman can win bores me to death, John Lloyd needs to get his head out Henmans arse ¬_¬

red devil

Postby red devil » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:45 pm

[acht] wrote:Men's - Federer

My God, how on Earth did you come to that prediction? :o

Tim "Yearly Disappointment" Henman is out, but there's still that "Englishman" Andy Murray. Is Rusedski in the tournament, the other "Englishman"?
I'm just a Sweet Transvestite from Transexual, Transylvania.

Adam

Postby Adam » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:46 pm

I don't think Federer is Sampras-esque. Sampras was wam bam oh look he's won again. Federer is more woah that was incredible, he's really good.

Do you even know what you mean by this?
www.thelineofbestfit.com

p.s. - I am wanking as I write this

salt and pepper

Postby salt and pepper » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:14 pm

I expect he means that Sampras won everything without ever looking all that amazing whereas Federer is clearly very talented and plays good-looking tennis.

Adam

Postby Adam » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:21 pm

Yes, but they both have dominated / are dominating tennis in a way no other player ever really has, which is what the comparison was.
www.thelineofbestfit.com

p.s. - I am wanking as I write this

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:40 am

Murray looked very impressive at times in his match today, but he showed his niavity by already thinking the game was over before he had actually won it. Consequently he has to finish off today after losing the 3rd set.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

red devil

Postby red devil » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:05 am

I still don't know how he managed to lose that set. Bad light, my aunt fanny, it was gorgeous sunshine, even for 9pm.

Crowley

Postby Crowley » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:17 am

red devil wrote:
[acht] wrote:Men's - Federer

My God, how on Earth did you come to that prediction? :o

I received an anonmyous tip off.

MajorTom

Postby MajorTom » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:19 pm

red devil wrote:Is Rusedski in the tournament, the other "Englishman"?

He was beaten in the first round...

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:22 pm

I'm glad Hewitt's through to the second week and beating another "munter grunter", Olivio Roccos. I could respect his and Nadal's tennis a lot more if I didn't have to hear it as well as see it, and forget what you're told in training, they're both louder than Sharapova the foghorn who took over from Monica Seles as loudest player, so it's all about putting the opponent off.

red devil

Postby red devil » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:39 pm

"munter grunter", I like it.

How did Murray do? Rhetorical question as I'm about to go to a website to find out ¬_¬

MajorTom

Postby MajorTom » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:51 pm

Murray pwns tbh

Nethlyn

Postby Nethlyn » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:07 pm

Murray made the most of Andy Roddick's bad year and put him out, though he shouldn't have let him back in the match in the first place. Still, he's in the second week, let's see what happens.

Next

Return to A Question of Sport