I need help with my snooker.

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Adam

Postby Adam » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:57 pm

Can I just say that I hate American pool?

Cheers.

I hate American pool.
www.thelineofbestfit.com

p.s. - I am wanking as I write this

Edam

Postby Edam » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:37 pm

Thanks for that. :)

Edam

Postby Edam » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:07 pm

Well, I just played another game and my problem is deffinitely an inability to hit the cue ball without side spin on it. I always add it.

Is there anything I can do with my queing arm to keep it straight? When lining up the shot and swining back/forwards I keep straight, but my final hit always seems to add a bit of side on due to elbow movements. :?

b0wser

Postby b0wser » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:34 pm

Try using a heavy cue. I find that I don't swing it about as much.
www.primehosting.co.uk is rather good.

Edam

Postby Edam » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:34 pm

I just bought one from Argos the other day. (£9.99 dwon from £15.99) But it's not heavy.

Bah.

I'd rather perfect the technique than rely on a que to do the work.

Nilly

Postby Nilly » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:04 pm

How far back to you pull the cue before hitting? You could try keeping the tip near the ball, then sort of push through to get the power on it. At least that way you've got a bigger chance of hitting the cue ball. Plus, if you do a really nice shot, as you push the cue you can bring it up and look swanky! :P
eVol wrote:Nilly tops my cool peoples list! :D

Edam

Postby Edam » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:10 pm

I may try that, I have had a few mis-cues where I've scuffed over the top of the que ball.

Reiver

Postby Reiver » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:48 am

Are you trying to smash it? I used to jerk just as i hit the shot because i tried to put too much power into it. I listened to one of those Steve Davis master classes when the snooker was on the TV and he kept on talking about it being all about "acceleration at point of contact" like golf. Trying to do your whole shot at the same speed you hit the ball just wastes effort and screws up your aim.
Also keeping your focus solely on the white and the exact point on it you want to make contact can stop you mishitting. As to getting a good cueing motion; that takes practice and, for me at least, can come and go. I've been playing well for weeks yet when i played yesterday i couldn't get comfy and get my arm moving right, i've no idea why. My mate got his revenge in spades :cry:

Edam

Postby Edam » Tue May 02, 2006 11:41 am

I'll try the accelaration thingy.

Anyhoo, on monday I was having a knock about with just the cue ball, hitting it from the baulk to the bottom of the table. It never came back in a stright line, and always have side spin on it.

I seem to be coming across the ball when I cue, but I've got no idea how to address the issue. I've identified it at least, but now it just needs sorting out.

Feet

Postby Feet » Tue May 02, 2006 11:45 am

I play fairly regularly and I have real trouble with potting when the shot is pretty much straight.

I barely ever use side-spin or think about positioning which is bad (but it's pool so I can get away with it). I just try to hit the cue ball in the centre and him the object ball on one side or the other.

I tonk every shot regardless, which sometimes works brilliant and sometimes just means i pot the white every time I visit the table.

It's always interesting when I play atleast.

Er. So my advice is to try tonking it. :P Great help there.
I still love you.

Adam

Postby Adam » Tue May 02, 2006 3:44 pm

Meh, you don't have to think about positioning so much in pool anyhow, the fact that the table is so small kind of helps you out there. And that you're going for a different set of balls to your opponent. I dunno, I never really think about the technicalities of pool but I'm still pretty good at it.
www.thelineofbestfit.com

p.s. - I am wanking as I write this

Feet

Postby Feet » Tue May 02, 2006 3:52 pm

Do you play on proper pool tables or the small ones?

Either way neither of them are as big as a full size snooker table.

But yes you're right, position is hugely important in Snooker, and much less so in pool.

Which is why I prefer pool. :)
I still love you.

Previous

Return to A Question of Sport