I need help with my snooker.

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Edam

I need help with my snooker.

Postby Edam » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:17 pm

I've recently started playing snooker and, well, I'm a bit rubbish.

The best I've managed is to pot three balls in a row. One of them was the cue ball.

I'm pretty happy doing safety shots, they're not a problem for me. It's the potting, I always seem to mess up with the angles, or hit the target ball incorrectly. Has anyone got any tips at all?

One question I have got about hitting the target ball once I've decided on an angle - should I try and hit the spot on the target ball with the centre of the white ball, or with the edge of the white ball?

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:30 pm

I take it you are playing on a full size table not a 6ft one. If you are playing on a 6ft one you need to find a club that has a full size table as there is just not really enough room to move the cue ball around on a smaller one.
Other than that it really is all about practice. You will eventually learn the angles. Just work on getting position and long pots as they are the most important things.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Nilly

Re: I need help with my snooker.

Postby Nilly » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:53 pm

Edam wrote:One question I have got about hitting the target ball once I've decided on an angle - should I try and hit the spot on the target ball with the centre of the white ball, or with the edge of the white ball?

That all depends on the angle for the target ball to the pocket I think, you get a feel for it eventually. If you've got a really long shot, on a full size table from one end to the other, then unless you are really confident its best not to take the shot. Work your way from nice, easy simple pots to the long range ones. If you get into a position where your opponent has gotten you into a long range shot, try and aim to bounce the cueball of the easiest target ball, and back up to where it was, or if possible a harder position. I know you didnt ask for any advice like that, but alot of people see a long shot and think "Hmmm, all I have to do is hit it dead on..." Its much harder than it looks. :P
eVol wrote:Nilly tops my cool peoples list! :D

Edam

Postby Edam » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:56 pm

Heh, ta for the advice.

I am playing on full sized tables. Small ones are just a joke. >.<

However, I didn't realise that competition tables had slightly different dimensions to regular full sized.

Anyway, you just say it's a matter of practice then and will come naturally in time? Is there nothing I should be really thinking about in terms of striking the que ball and hitting the target ball (tactics aside) - should I be looking at the cue ball, the target ball or the pocket? Is stance important?

Nilly

Postby Nilly » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:58 pm

I just played alot of games until I just started to get a feel as to whether I could or coulnt pot the ball. It will all come in time. :wink:

If you want to be able to do safety shots like the chaps on tv, then yer, practice em. And occasionally you should try and practice a long shot, but I've found putting myself in deliberate situations never works, as they very rarely come up like that in an actual game. :o

Edam

Postby Edam » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:10 pm

I tend to lose control with longshots anyway.

Safety's are coming along quite nicely. I can't really get into proper snookers at long range, but shortrange I can quite happily knock the white into a red, sandwiching the colour between the red and the white.

Safety's in general seem to be ok. I just knock it back to the baulk making it hard for my opponant to pot anything afterwards.

Also - at the moment I'm concentrating more on potting than I am about positioning the white ball after the pot - is this a good idea or a bad idea for now?

Gunner

Postby Gunner » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:46 pm

Well you said you were having trouble potting more than one ball then that is probably due to positional play (or lack of). However potting the object ball is the most important thing so i would practace that for now.

Are you having trouble potting esay balls? (and by easy i mean by ameture standards not what you see on telly).
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."
-Buddha

Nilly

Postby Nilly » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:57 pm

Aye, if you cant pot simple, dead on shots then work on those, then work on basic positioning. I've never actually thought about my positioning, which is a bit of a problem, sometimes I get lucky, sometimes I just have to dig myself out of a hole, but I like playing like that. ¬_¬

Also when you're potting, if the target ball is literally right on the edge of the pocket, and its a straight line to the cue ball, hit the cue ball hard and below the center, otherwise you'll follow it in. DO NOT hit above the center, as this increases your chances of following it in.

If you're feeling really fancy, hit downwards onto one of the top right/left hand bits of the cue ball and it will spin. It is much better to bounce of the cushions though, as even pros have a hard time curving the ball around others. :wink:

Edam

Postby Edam » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:15 pm

gunner_uk2000 wrote:Well you said you were having trouble potting more than one ball then that is probably due to positional play (or lack of). However potting the object ball is the most important thing so i would practace that for now.

Are you having trouble potting esay balls? (and by easy i mean by ameture standards not what you see on telly).

Well I'll have a position for a second ball, but I'm just not consistent enough to be able to actually pot it.

The shots I'm missing are fairly amaterush and easy. I miss ones that are 2-5inches away from the pocket, and always manage to comeplete send them off on the wrong angle despite knowing exactly what it is I need to do.

Gunner

Postby Gunner » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:59 pm

Edam wrote:
gunner_uk2000 wrote:Well you said you were having trouble potting more than one ball then that is probably due to positional play (or lack of). However potting the object ball is the most important thing so i would practace that for now.

Well I'll have a position for a second ball, but I'm just not consistent enough to be able to actually pot it.

The shots I'm missing are fairly amaterush and easy. I miss ones that are 2-5inches away from the pocket, and always manage to comeplete send them off on the wrong angle despite knowing exactly what it is I need to do.

Try testing your eyes.

Put a pecie of chalk on one end of the table and stand at the other end. Point to it with your finger so your finger is graphically touching the chalk. Ie so you finger is toching you chalk in your vision.

Close your left eye. If your finger has moved then that eye is stronger so you should cue under that eye.

If it doen't move then so the same with your right. If your finer has moved that the right eye is strongest.

If you finger doesn't move at all when you close either eye then your eyes are of the same strength so you should cue down the middle of your eyes.
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."
-Buddha

Edam

Postby Edam » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:33 pm

That's really hard, because if I concentrate on the chalk I see two fingers. If I concentrate on myfinger I seetwo chalks.

Reiver

Postby Reiver » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:21 pm

I play two or three times a week and the only thing i've found to work is practice. Try going on your own and just playing around with the balls seeing how they react and getting a feel for spin etc.
Definitely buy your own cue. Not only because it will help with consistency but the ones in snooker halls are always bent and too light. Try and get one with a tip that is very rounded and almost goes to a point as this makes it easier to control the cue ball and put extra spin on. Also pay attention to the grain on the cue as it can take your eye away when you're lining up a shot if it's too crazy. I've always gone for ones with grain going straight up and down.
The only other things i can think of that hasn't been mentioned is your cueing motion and stance. It's very important to get a smooth and consistent cuing action so when you line up your shot you know that you'll take the practice motion into your shot. The best way to get an idea how to do this is by watching the pros and luckily they're on telly at the moment. Try and keep your arm pretty loose. Stance is the same. I try and keep my feet even rather than staggered as i find this helps me. You'd probably have find out for yourself what works best though.
Other things are line up your shot both before you go down to play it and once your there. Always adjust your body to line up because leaning or twisting even slightly can throw your motion off and on a full table half a millimetre ends up being half a foot by the time it reaches the other end of the table. Sometimes going up to the object ball and lining up how you'd pot it (as if you weren't using the cue ball) can help. Once you've lined up your shot, focus on the cue ball and the point you're going to hit it and don't move your head once you've struck it. Keep both eyes open. Closing one eye throws you off. I rest my chin (lightly) on the cue but that's not necessary however it's good to get down low to the cue as that gives you more accuracy than having your head up pool style.

Ok that went a bit longer than i intended. DJ got it right though, you can't beat practice and experimenting to find out what works best for you and i've always found playing with 3 pints in the stomach to be about the optimum level :wink:

Adam

Postby Adam » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:08 am

I play pool instead. Loads easier. ¬_¬
www.thelineofbestfit.com

p.s. - I am wanking as I write this

Nilly

Postby Nilly » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:41 am

Shorter too. Not as fun as a full game o' snooker though.

Reiver

Postby Reiver » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:26 am

Play snooker then pool ¬_¬
Really. Going from playing snooker on a full sized table for an hour or so to playing pool on a tiny table makes you look like some "pool master".

Next

Return to A Question of Sport