The end of an era.

They think its all over... got cancelled.

LokoLion

The end of an era.

Postby LokoLion » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:51 am

Shearer announces end of career

Newcastle captain Alan Shearer has confirmed his career has been "finished" by a knee injury. The 35-year-old tore his knee ligaments at Sunderland on Monday and has been ruled out for the rest of the season, prompting his planned retirement.

"I'm finished now," Shearer told The Sun. "I won't be able to play the last three games and that is disappointing.

"But I'm not complaining, how could I? I have great memories. Hopefully, I'll be able to kick off the testimonial."

Shearer has scored 206 goals in 404 appearances for Newcastle since he arrived at the club for £15m from Blackburn in the summer of 1996.

He netted a total of 379 goals in 733 appearances - in a career encompassing spells at Southampton, Blackburn and Newcastle.

He also scored 30 goals in 63 appearances for England.

I've not been his biggest fan over the years, but then he's never really been a big fan of Manchester United (heh) so that's cool.

He was a great player though and it's a shame he didn't get a chance to complete the season.

Best of luck post-career Al.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:42 am

He has probably been the best striker in the Premiership over the years. Shame he never won much, but I think he made decisions based on what would make him happy and you have to respect him for that. In this day and age players are more concerned about money and what they can win rather than being happy.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Kei

Postby Kei » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:58 pm

He was the best. Simple as that. There will never be another striker like him. He's the last truley old fashioned English center forward. Newcastle can say they had the best of him, but they'd be wrong. They never saw Shearer at his absolute peak when he was with us, before his knee started playing up. Quick, strong, powerfull and impossible to defend against. Absolutely awesome. Without doubt the best player I've seen in a Rovers shirt.
A legend. It was a joy to watch him for 3 and a half seasons.

red devil

Postby red devil » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:45 pm

He shunned us so he can kiss my arse tbh.

Newcastle really need Owen fit. Bit too late for this season though. I hope he is fully fit for the world cup.
I'm just a Sweet Transvestite from Transexual, Transylvania.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:25 pm

Bye-bye, Mr Elbows.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Suburban Rhythm

Postby Suburban Rhythm » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:07 pm

Yeah he wasnt the 'cleanest' player but he only gave as good as he got. A class player and i dont that had he not been robbed of much of his pace through injury hed have scored many more goals.

Also his loyalty to his hometown club when he could have gone to bigger clubs for more money is commendable though it is a shame he never managed to win a trophy with them. Did he win anything apart from the chamionship and Euro '96 golden boot?

LokoLion

Postby LokoLion » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:21 pm

No, I think that was it.

Still though he made his decisions and I don't think for a second he regrets them. He's set for life and will go down as one of Englands finest and what he lacks in medals as a player, he could always make up for as a manager.

Who knows what the future holds.

Return to A Question of Sport