Attn Snowy! UFC The Ultimate Fighter on Bravo at 10pm

They think its all over... got cancelled.

threelions

Attn Snowy! UFC The Ultimate Fighter on Bravo at 10pm

Postby threelions » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:23 pm

The third series of the UFC's reality TV show where up and coming young fighters get to compete for a UFC contract. There are two former fighters as coaches who will pick their teams after some early physical tests, then each team picks a fighter to compete against the other team, the loser going home.

Bravo have done well this is being shown with only a day's delay every Friday rather than the four months or more with the other series.

The first series wasnt upto much, pretty poor fights though three of the fighters have gone on to do well(Leben, Sanchez and Forrest Griffin).

The second improved much better competitive fights and less reality show crap. Still to early to see what the winners will do as most had injuries either due to the seires of the live final.

The third seems as if it will be high drama and high in fights and also has a English representative in Micheal Bisping, rated highly over here but yet to fight anyone of high calibre.

The Fights - The problem with the last series was that the setup meant some fighters could get through to the later stages without having to fight and others would have three hard fights in a row. This time theyve promised a setup that means all the fighters will have to fight before the quarter finals.

There will be no challenges this time (last time each team had to compete in physical challenges and the winner got to choose who fought) this time theres supposed to be more focus on the fights, fighters and their training.

The Drama - The trainers are Tito Ortiz and Ken Shamrock. These guys have a real hatred of each other going back years. Tito Ortiz burst into the UFC after Shamrock had left to pursue his proffessional wrestling career. He tore through his early opponents until meeting one of Shamrocks students Guy Metzger from the Lion Den(shamrocks training facility) in his second UFC fight.

Coming back he beat Jerry Bohlander(also Lions Den) and then won a rematch with Guy Metzger and infuriated Shamrock and his team with his celebrations which included wearing a T-Shirt with the slogan "Gay Metzger is my Bitch!" and giving the finger to Shamrock. Tito even had to have other fighters stand guard in his dressing room to stop him getting attack after the fight.

Years later when Shamrock returned to MMA from Wrestling it was an obvious match up and the hype was huge but as most serious fans knew the MMA game had moved on a huge amount since Shamrocks days and the match proved it with Shamrock getting pummeled from the start until his corner pulled him out, though Shamrock fans tend to use Shamrocks ACL injury as the reason for this.

Both havent had the best of it since. Tito seeming to fall apart and lose his unbeatable aurora with losses to Chuck Liddel and Randy Coutre and a controversal win over Vitor Belfort. He then fell out with the UFC over his pay demands and disappeared from the UFC they even stripped him from the website records.

Shamrock had a win over a fellow oldie Kimo and two loses agaisnt current UFC middleweight champ Rich Franklin and a loss in Pride(Japan's UFC) to legendary(but much lighter) Sakaraba(sp?).

Both have been given a new lease of life with UFC contracts both as coaches to the two teams and fight contracts. The big fight obviously being their rematch when they will top the bill at The Ultimate Fighter finals.
I went into the gas station, said, "Fill 'er up, Harry."
The guy said, "Regular?"
I said, "No, put on a gorrila suit and dance like a fairy."

Nilly

Postby Nilly » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:13 pm

This program is hilarious, but mainly for the american voice over at the start/end of the show. :P

Personally, I want the deaf guy to win. ;o
eVol wrote:Nilly tops my cool peoples list! :D

threelions

Postby threelions » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:28 pm

Neb wrote:This program is hilarious, but mainly for the american voice over at the start/end of the show. :P

Personally, I want the deaf guy to win. ;o

Heh the clips they show are always pretty misleading too.

Did you see the first episode? They had one of the Americans telling the UK guys they had to have a drink to be respectful, fast forward a few hours the Brits are still sober and the American can barely stand up. They then jumped on him and shaved his eyebrow off while shouting "Where's ya ground game!"

Also found it funny they had to have subtitles for the Brits.
The guy said, "Regular?"

Nilly

Postby Nilly » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:16 pm

Arf, didnt see the first episode, but I did find it funny subtitles came up for the Brits. :P

Nilly

Postby Nilly » Mon May 08, 2006 7:57 pm

Just seen the one this friday, my brother sticks em on recording and they are actually quite entertaining viewing.

Damn good fight I thought, 'specially Rory's kick to the head, Solomon clearly didnt know what hit em.

glad he won actually, he's probably my favourite out of all of em.

threelions

Postby threelions » Tue May 09, 2006 8:08 pm

Missed this weeks, so having to download it. Seen a write up so know the fight outcome glad the loudmouth got shut up and that TEAM DAGGER! is no more.

Cant wait to see this episode sounds good. Also Really hoping Bisping can do it for the Brits, been a while since the last Brit appeared in the UFC especially now with Ian Freeman retired and Lee Murray on the run after that 50 odd million pound heist.
The guy said, "Regular?"

Return to A Question of Sport