Internationals

They think its all over... got cancelled.


User avatar
threelions
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:44 pm

Internationals

Postby threelions » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:39 pm

Well not the best timing to announce it but he's finally been given the boot.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4642500.stm

Time for Big Sam to step up and put some passion and pride back into the side.
Last edited by threelions on Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I went into the gas station, said, "Fill 'er up, Harry."
The guy said, "Regular?"
I said, "No, put on a gorrila suit and dance like a fairy."

User avatar
Feet
 
Posts: 15302
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:55 am
Location: Socks

Postby Feet » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:20 pm

Concurrance. Though I think Steve Macclaren will get it.
I still love you.

User avatar
gpa-gone-west
 
Posts: 2964
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:38 am

Re: Sven-Goran Eriksson will quit after the world cup

Postby gpa-gone-west » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:22 pm

threelions wrote:Well not the best timing to announce it but he's finally been given the boot.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4642500.stm

Time for Big Sam to step up and put some passion and pride back into the side.


Come of it, we all knew he was going and have known for a long time. It the news papers making a mountain out of a mole hill and the FA being incompetent and not handling it well, as usual.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

User avatar
Gunner
 
Posts: 6429
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:22 pm
Location: National Portrait Gallery... Being Hypnotised

Postby Gunner » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:26 pm

Personally i would like to see big sam take the job, although i doubt he would quit bolton though. Bolton seem to have a nice balance between defence & attack ie defending well without camping the box for the whole game.

I've never really liked sven, we always seem to lose through being too defensive. I mean a lucky goal in the 4th minute does NOT mean shut up shop and camp the box for the rest of the game.

Being able to dig in and defend a lead is a good quality, but it should always be the second option to keeping possession and should only really be used towards the end of the game.

I would not like to see Steve Macclaren get the job, not because i think he's a bad manager, but he's done nothing truly special with middlessbrough, even with a bit of cash to spend.

Alan Curbishly i doubt would leave Charlton but he would be a good choice if they couldn't get sam.

Then again i have nothing against the FA getting another forigner in if he's up to the job, i don't really like sven purly because i don't like the negative tactics he seems to always end up using.
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."
-Buddha

Suburban Rhythm
 
Posts: 3638
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:53 pm
Location: The end of the longest line

Postby Suburban Rhythm » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:42 pm

gunner_uk2000 wrote:I would not like to see Steve Macclaren get the job, not because i think he's a bad manager, but he's done nothing truly special with middlessbrough, even with a bit of cash to spend.


I'd hate to see him land the England job, given the time and recources hes had at Middlesborough and his single league cup achievement i really dont think he has what it takes.

As for big Sam, im not a huge fan of his but i would be interested to see what he could do in the role. Curbishly again is another manager id quite like to see in the job. Other than those two im not really sure who id go for, maybe even Gus Hiddink.

User avatar
Feet
 
Posts: 15302
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:55 am
Location: Socks

Postby Feet » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:54 pm

I wouldn't want Maclaren in the job either, I just thjink he's most likely to get it simce he's been an assistant to Sven for the last few years.
I still love you.

Suburban Rhythm
 
Posts: 3638
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:53 pm
Location: The end of the longest line

Postby Suburban Rhythm » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:58 pm

Yeah, seems like the FA have been 'grooming' him for the post, to be honest even with his lack of experieince id sooner see Stuart Pearce get the job ahead of him.

Anyone have any thoughts on Martin O'neil as England manager? i know he'd be unlikely to take it given the ongoing family problems but i dont think he'd be a bad choice.

User avatar
gpa-gone-west
 
Posts: 2964
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:38 am

Postby gpa-gone-west » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:47 pm

Martin O'neil would be a good england manager, but as you say, with his wife having cancer I doubt he would take the job, after all thats the reason he left celtic.

I personally dont have a problem with Guus Hiddink, and I dont agree with Gordon Taylor that the next manager has to be english, dont chop your nose of to spite your face buy appeasing the media and employ someone because they are english.

If the FA are serious about england winning things then we need the best manager around, who ever that is and were ever he comes from, if he has the credentials, employ him.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

User avatar
Feet
 
Posts: 15302
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:55 am
Location: Socks

Postby Feet » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:31 pm

SOmething tells me Jose Mourinho wouldn't want to manage England.
I still love you.

User avatar
DjchunKfunK
 
Posts: 24146
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:45 pm

I would like to see an English manager back at the helm purely because I feel a foreign manage doesn't bring the passion to the game that we need to succeed. When Sven was appointed it was said that there was no good English alternative which was partial true. (Terry Venables would and could have taken over again if the FA weren't so up their own arses.) But now that argument doesn't really stand. There are viable alternatives.
I have heard a lot of arguments for a foregin managers and about getting the best manager for the job, but most of our manages have never been the best managers in the world and they may never be. I don't think Alf Ramsey was the best manager around when he was appointed, but he didn't do too bad.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

User avatar
threelions
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:44 pm

Postby threelions » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:05 pm

I think its the fact that to a foriegn manager its just a job as shown by Sven but to an England manager its a life time goal, the pinnacle of their career.

I think Big Sam is the man for the job. He has experience with dealing with big name stars, employs a high work rate and has shown he can take on the big teams on his day with limited resources. Though he is the only Englishman i can think of at the moment, never rated Curbishley and Pearce doesnt have the experience.

If we do go down the foriegn route then someone like Guus Hiddink would be a good choice. Luiz Felipe Scolari has been mentioned also dont know enough about him to give an opinion on him.

EDIT : Also they should go back to what Venables did and cutdown on the friendly internationals and have training camps. Clubs are more willing to let players go without causing a fuss and they get more of a team spirit by spending more time together.
I went into the gas station, said, "Fill 'er up, Harry."
The guy said, "Regular?"
I said, "No, put on a gorrila suit and dance like a fairy."

User avatar
gpa-gone-west
 
Posts: 2964
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:38 am

Postby gpa-gone-west » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:05 pm

threelions wrote:I think its the fact that to a foriegn manager its just a job as shown by Sven but to an England manager its a life time goal, the pinnacle of their career.


I think that
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

User avatar
threelions
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:44 pm

Postby threelions » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:47 pm

gpa-gone-west wrote:
threelions wrote:I think its the fact that to a foriegn manager its just a job as shown by Sven but to an England manager its a life time goal, the pinnacle of their career.


I think that
I went into the gas station, said, "Fill 'er up, Harry."
The guy said, "Regular?"
I said, "No, put on a gorrila suit and dance like a fairy."

User avatar
gpa-gone-west
 
Posts: 2964
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:38 am

Postby gpa-gone-west » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:01 pm

threelions wrote:
gpa-gone-west wrote:
threelions wrote:I think its the fact that to a foriegn manager its just a job as shown by Sven but to an England manager its a life time goal, the pinnacle of their career.


I think that
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

User avatar
threelions
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:44 pm

Postby threelions » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:17 am

gpa-gone-west wrote:
threelions wrote:
gpa-gone-west wrote:
threelions wrote:I think its the fact that to a foriegn manager its just a job as shown by Sven but to an England manager its a life time goal, the pinnacle of their career.


I think that
I went into the gas station, said, "Fill 'er up, Harry."
The guy said, "Regular?"
I said, "No, put on a gorrila suit and dance like a fairy."

Next

Return to A Question of Sport

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests