England vs Argentina (12th Nov 05)

They think its all over... got cancelled.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:37 pm

Now Sven is taking off Owen to replace him with Richardson????? He has lost it completely, but then he never could make decent subs.

EDIT: Well we won 1-0, but it was totally unconvincing and not really better than against Northern Island. How we can expect them to win the World Cup is beyond me.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Feet

Postby Feet » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:17 pm

The worst sub was replacing Beckham with King and then not taking crouch off. I would have brought Bent on for Crouch and Hargreaves on for Cole.

And bugger me Campbell is injured. That's not good for Arsenal at all. :(

Indeed the Austrians deserved atleast a draw. We were quite lucky in the second half, though I will say that Beckhams second yellow was a dive. Beckham never touched him and the guy launched himself forward. I go into the Poland game with really heavy doubts.
I still love you.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:27 pm

That team just cant play together at all...

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:51 pm

The buck has to stop with the manager in my opinion. He is the one that is coming up with the tactics. For me there is just a lack of passion that Sven just isn't going to supply. Look at it this way if the manager is English then this is a life-time achievement and they are going to give it their all, but for Sven it is just another job that he is getting paid
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:33 am

It's a bit of an anti-climax really. The Republic of Ireland (Even though I have no link to them whatsoever), now that looks like an interesting last game. If they win, they're going to Germania!
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Smokey

Postby Smokey » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:55 pm

Is Campbell badly injured? like more than 1 week?

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:43 pm

Bleh, it finished 2-1 and the performance was alot better than against Austria. So.. Woo, and such.

Just a bit sorry for RoI since they went out, even though I have no ties with Ireland (Although I think my Great Grandad was Irish), It would've been nice for them to go through.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Vidrageon

Postby Vidrageon » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:58 pm

That Joe Cole guy was impressive. And as I've said before, Crouch is extremely overrated. And scarily tall.

P R E Y

Postby P R E Y » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:15 pm

Viddy wrote:And as I've said before, Crouch is extremely overrated. And scarily tall.

As soon as he came on I thought my wife had changed the channel to Basketball.

*Spots Crouch the Ostrich come onto the pitch*

"Hang about...is he in the right sport?"

And tbh after watching the entire match with my brother we both agreed England played abysmal with the exception of Rooney and Owen and maybe Wright Phillip. England really did not deserve to win that at all considering how many chances they blew and how their defence was. But it was good to know that the many Poland fans we rubbed shoulders with in Manchester town center now had those grins removed from their ugly mugs, trust my brother to wear an england top as over 50 Poland fans come walking into the shop we were in. They just looked at him and laughed, then he kissed his shirt and just pointed at them all - the fucking idiot :lol:

furnish

Postby furnish » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:32 pm

i thought and so did all the reports that King played really well. I am a bit biased but even Hansen said he played well.
Why do we fall? So that we might better learn to pick ourselves up.

threelions

Postby threelions » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:35 pm

Well i thought King played well but i cant believe the rubbish in the press, you would have thought we'd won the World Cup already rather than struggled to get a result against third rate opposition.
I went into the gas station, said, "Fill 'er up, Harry."
The guy said, "Regular?"
I said, "No, put on a gorrila suit and dance like a fairy."

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:03 pm

threelions wrote:Well i thought King played well but i cant believe the rubbish in the press, you would have thought we'd won the World Cup already rather than struggled to get a result against third rate opposition.

To be fair we did dominate them, as an England fan you get used to us being camped in our own penalty area against lichtenstien for 90 minutes. So them venturing forward five minutes is God like...

Feet

Postby Feet » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:54 pm

A pretty succint article on the BBC website that pretty much sums up the issues in midfield for england,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 337288.stm wrote:Even in victory, England threw up some intriguing posers for boss Sven-Goran Eriksson - especially the conundrum presented by a new-look midfield.

England's midfield had a better balance than in recent memory, with much credit going to Spurs captain Ledley King and match-winner Frank Lampard.

King anchored England's midfield perfectly, leaving Lampard to the role he performs best, setting up attacks, arriving in danger areas and getting goals.

And Lampard could do all this without the burden of worrying whether he was leaving gaps behind him.

Lampard, ironically, looked a better player without Steven Gerrard - and the suspicion remains the reverse would also be true.

So what does Eriksson do now?

Does he stick with King and Lampard?

Does he restore the Lampard-Gerrard partnership which is heavy on world-class talent but low on balance and cohesion?

Or will he even be bold enough to try another version of last night's central midfield - with Newcastle's Scott Parker as the holding player and Gerrard as the attacking option?

On paper this looks even more enticing than the pairing of King and Lampard, but Eriksson's natural conservatism may yet get the better of him.

Eriksson will also hope Shaun Wright-Phillips and Joe Cole get enough football at Chelsea to keep them match-sharp for the summer - with Wright-Phillips a serious worry on that score.

The Swede will offer up silent prayers that nothing befalls Wayne Rooney, because once again Manchester United's brilliant youngster showed he could be the difference between triumph and despair in Germany.

Rooney is the force every England move revolves around. He is a creator and spearhead, a unique talent.

If Rooney is fit and firing, Eriksson may yet have the last laugh on those of us who question the Swede's credentials and ability to deliver the big prize.

If any misfortune overtakes Rooney, England will not win the World Cup - the equation is that simple after another masterclass from the young prodigy.

It was not all sweetness and light on a night when the presence of 6,000 Poland fans created a real atmosphere of competition.

The visitors' passion even extended to colours being sported, shameless patriotism and several rousing songs in tribute to goalkeeper Artur Boruc - and that was just in the press box.

The jeering that greeted the arrival of Liverpool's Peter Crouch as a second-half substitute for Wright-Phillips was a shameful episode.

Many supporters were angry at the removal of Wright-Phillips, but others also chose the moment to deliver a resounding raspberry in Crouch's direction.

It was a sour moment out of keeping with the night and hardly designed to buoy Crouch's confidence.

Manchester tried to rain on England and Eriksson's parade - but another win means the critics are kept at bay again.

And for England and Eriksson, another opportunity awaits to prove they are not world football's nearly men.
I still love you.

Adam

Postby Adam » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:27 pm

People are finally starting to realise Gerrard and Lampard can't play together? Thank fuck for that.
www.thelineofbestfit.com

p.s. - I am wanking as I write this

Reiver

Postby Reiver » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:44 am

I think they play better together without Beckham. I'd go as far as to drop Beckham completely and have SWP out there. His delivery of the ball isn't quite at Beckham's standard but he runs at players and is going to cause more problemsfor opposition teams. When you have gerrard and Lampard, who are almost equal dead ball experts to Beckham in the team I don't really see Beckham's use.
As much as i'd hate to see it (the media would be unbearable for the next 40 years) you lot do have a good chance of winning. If the players play to their potential you have the best team in the world. The draw will be important but it's not impossible that some Greece like side will do a bit of giant killing and take out Brazil for you.
Africa 4 teams
C

PreviousNext

Return to A Question of Sport