Champions League 05/06 - Last 16 matches Page 6!

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Figo

Postby Figo » Wed May 17, 2006 9:14 pm

The first Barca goal was an offside I say, but the referee decided not to whistle and so be it. Still a shame. :(

Nilly

Postby Nilly » Wed May 17, 2006 10:08 pm

Figo wrote:The first Barca goal was an offside I say, but the referee decided not to whistle and so be it. Still a shame. :(

It depends what you count as offside, some people count it as the feet, which where onside. Others count it as anything past the defender, which the rest of his body was
eVol wrote:Nilly tops my cool peoples list! :D

salt and pepper

Postby salt and pepper » Wed May 17, 2006 10:21 pm

Such a tiny margin and so fast - doesn't make a difference because it could have gone either way. TBH.

Figo

Postby Figo » Wed May 17, 2006 10:24 pm

Yeah it was a quick situation and I think most of the referees would have called it, but this one didn't.

banapaulo

Postby banapaulo » Wed May 17, 2006 11:26 pm

I find it amusing that Henry kept going on at the end about how biased the ref was to Barca, even when he was being asked questions about his future with the club. Even more amusing given Arsenal's first goal came from the softest of dives.
katarn wrote:Oh yeah! I agree with Banapaulo. 8)

:Dan

Postby :Dan » Wed May 17, 2006 11:30 pm

Oh, c'mon. He'd just lost one of the most important games he's been involved in.

But yeah, you can't say that the ref seemed totally impartial... :x

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Wed May 17, 2006 11:35 pm

In fairness, if Henry leaves, I don't think he'll leave to join barca anymore ¬_¬

LokoLion

Postby LokoLion » Thu May 18, 2006 1:51 am

Dan! wrote:Oh, c'mon. He'd just lost one of the most important games he's been involved in.

But yeah, you can't say that the ref seemed totally impartial... :x

The ref was just plain rubbish.

But I never liked on field interviews. I mean, you've just lost a final, do you really want someone as banal as Geoff Shreeves in your face asking you questions from the Sports Journalists Handbook?

LokoLion

Postby LokoLion » Thu May 18, 2006 1:53 am

Me wrote:In fairness, if Henry leaves, I don't think he'll leave to join barca anymore ¬_¬

I'd be surprised if tonight affected his decision in that way to be honest. It might have altered his thinking on whether to stay or not, but I can't see him turning down Barcelona just because of this game. He may refuse for other reasons, but I can't see that being one of them.

Reiver

Postby Reiver » Thu May 18, 2006 8:58 am

I know it was a heat of the moment interview but the way he talked about Puyol and Marquez: it wasn't like potential teammates. He was right about the ref though, he had a stinker.

Did anyone else think Eto'o was offside when he went through on Lehmann? They never showed it from a good angle so it was impossible to tell for sure but it had to be close and definitely warranted a few replays. It seems strange that for such an important decision (and important event) the only angle they showed the whole move from was from behind the Barca goals.

Edit: I like how Henrik gets an MBE for services to British Football one week then the next sets up the two goals that stop Arsenal winning the Champions League. :D He's the only world class player i've seen play in Scotland (Gazza was past it and i never saw Laudrup). If he can just put a few goals past England in the WC his MBE might be bumped up to a Knighthood for services to Scottish football.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu May 18, 2006 9:23 am

Shocking decisions by the ref and I think the better team lost. If only Lens hadn't been so crazy I think we would have beaten them 11v11. The ten on the field played like heroes and they can go home with their heads held high.
As for the first goal, the rule with offside is that it any part of the players body is past the last defender then it is offside. The reason I think that it wasn't given was maybe the linesman didn't see Larrson touch the ball and he thought it had rolled right through for Eto.
Anyway there is always next year.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

LokoLion

Postby LokoLion » Thu May 18, 2006 2:56 pm

Reiver wrote:Did anyone else think Eto'o was offside when he went through on Lehmann? They never showed it from a good angle so it was impossible to tell for sure but it had to be close and definitely warranted a few replays. It seems strange that for such an important decision (and important event) the only angle they showed the whole move from was from behind the Barca goals.

I never actually looked for the offside, so I can't say one way or the other. However I was surprised the goalkeeper was beaten at his near post like this. It almost looked too easy.

Then again Eto'o is pretty good...

Adam

Postby Adam » Thu May 18, 2006 3:18 pm

On first look it seemed Almunia should've saved it, but it was actually a quality touch and finish from Eto'o, that even Paul Robinson would've had a hard time stopping.

(¬_¬)
www.thelineofbestfit.com

p.s. - I am wanking as I write this

Feet

Postby Feet » Thu May 18, 2006 3:20 pm

I still love you.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu May 18, 2006 6:12 pm

Yeah that doesn't really help does it. Idiot!
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

PreviousNext

Return to A Question of Sport