January '06 Transfer window rumorage!

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Suburban Rhythm

Postby Suburban Rhythm » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:46 pm

Not too sure who id like Villa to go for in the transfer window, were well sorted upfront at the moment with Baros, Phillips, Angel and Moore.

As for the midfield id love us to get a permanent deal for James Milner, always seems to chip in with assists whenever i see him play and looks quality compred to some of our players. If we had the cash it'd be a good idea to unload Berger and get someone else in, he seems to be another in our long line of crocked over the hill players who amount to nothing more than a burden on the wage bill.

Defensively i think we could do with some cover at left back, Samuel doesnt seem capable of the sort of form he hit a couple of seasons back. Much as i like Mark Delaney i think we should off load him in favour of someone who isnt totally jinxed with injuries. Another centre back wouldnt hurt either, Ridgewell is promising but he isnt there yet, especially with his tendency to give away so many penalties :x .

Feet

Postby Feet » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:56 pm

Title changed. :)

Where to start really.

A striker, oh dear god we need someone to reliably find the net and who can play up with Henry. That would be my first choice.

Next is a replacement for Mr Viera. I think Gravesson would do the job admirably, but I can't remember from his Everton days if he was a defensive or attacking midfielder.

After that well a decent reliable cenral defender would be nice.

A goalkeeper wouldn't be missed either.

The one thing we don't need is attacking midfielders.

It doesn't matter what I want anyway as Wenger is reportedly not going to spend any money at all in the January transfer window. :(
I still love you.

Kei

Postby Kei » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:51 pm

We need another striker really, somebody with real quality that can partner Bellamy. Kuqi tries hard enough but no way is he a Premiership footballer. Benni McCarthy from Porto would do nicey, although I doubt the cash is there after we splashed out on Bellamy.

An attacking midfielder would also be my other wish. Someone that can replace Tugay who's getting on a bit. There is talk of him staying another season before retirement and on the basis of this season I think he can do it, he's been superb.
If I had to pick a sensible replacement I'd go for Pertov from Celtic. Its a possibility seeing as they have just bought Keane.

Jansen looks like he's on his way. A Rovers hero, his goals got us back in the Premiership and when we got there he kept scoring. He hasnt been the same since his accident though and Rovers have held onto him in the hope that he may regain some of his past form, but it hasn't happened and its a real shame. I'll never forget that dink over Ian Walker against Bolton in the last minute at the Reebok, or the glancing header that sent us up at Deepdale. :( In the paper tonight it says Bolton and Everton are interested. I wish him luck wherever he ends up.

Pederson to Spurs is the other rumour that's circulating. I wouldn't want to see him go but anything over 7 million and you would have to think hard about weather he's worth that. Just how many midfielders do Spurs want though?

Adam

Postby Adam » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:56 pm

Pedersen's your only good player, based on what I've seen.

And he's definately worth at least 7m. If I were you I wouldn't want to see him go for any less than 10 tbh, he's quality.

Apparently (and this might interest you Sub) O'Leary is looking to sign Eirik Bakke from us on a permanent basis, with Djemba-Djemba going the other way. Bakke is one of my favourite players at Leeds, he's one of only two left from the our dream days of CL semis and 3rd place Premiership finishes. However, on our current form, and if we could secure the signings of Jonathan Douglas and Liam Miller, I would have to say that he's someone we can lose, because he's on quite a high wage and probably wouldn't get into the side at the moment. BUT THEN AGAIN, I don't want Djemba-Djemba. I'd rather Villains gave us a bit of cash, even if it was only 500,000 or so because that goes a long way in this league. We really don't need Djemba, and he's only just Championship quality anyway.

Other than that, I think we have a decent squad at the moment. We certainly aren't suffering any depth problems, with at least two players for each posistion and then the kind of players who can play just about anywhere in Gregan and Walton. But I would like to see Rui Marques bugger off, he's a waste of money, and us sign a couple more defenders. If we really strengthen our defence and basically stop conceding, I can see us really pushing for 2nd place because we have the ability to score against anyone.

Btw, just realised I didn't mention it but I'm talking about Leeds. :P

red devil

Postby red devil » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:13 pm

I'm just a Sweet Transvestite from Transexual, Transylvania.

Gunner

Postby Gunner » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:41 pm

Arsenal make a couple of signings:

Arsenal complete signing of Diaby

I've never heard of him, and tbh do we really need another inexperianced player? Then again wenger is good at finding unknown gems.

Adebayor makes move to Highbury

I'm actually pleased we've signed him, i saw a highlights vid of the african WC qualifications, and he pop up with goals quite a bit. :D, Pitty we have to wait until after the African Nations before we get him :(
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."
-Buddha

red devil

Postby red devil » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:45 pm

Are good midfielders hard to find these days? Both Arsenal and United could benefit from a couple.

Suburban Rhythm

Postby Suburban Rhythm » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:30 pm

The Villa situation is annoying, dont know whether we have the cash to invest or not but the continuing takeover speculation seems to mean we wont be doing any business during the transfer window :( . Shame we havent got a few million, be great for us to pick up Danny Murphy to add a little creativity to the midfield.

furnish

Postby furnish » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:50 pm

I think Adebayor will turn out to be a good signing for Arsenal. As much as it pains me to say it i think he will work well with what you already especially Henry. The question is will he be working with Henry for long?

As i live on the south coast all i ever hear is about Walcott. Has been linked with the top 4 teams in England and Spurs. I saw him last year at a youth cup game and he was awful (marked out of the game by two players) but since then he has progressed into a real good player. Hopefully he will join the rest of future England internationals at White Hart Lane.
Why do we fall? So that we might better learn to pick ourselves up.

Gunner

Postby Gunner » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:01 pm

furnish wrote: The question is will he be working with Henry for long?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/4583184.stm :D
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."
-Buddha

furnish

Postby furnish » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:42 pm

Evidence suggests he will be staying. Good for the Premier league.

red devil

Postby red devil » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:28 am

Well Thierry Henry's career is over now...

http://www.grnsw.com.au/news/news_story.asp?id=1619

Feet

Postby Feet » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:04 am

arf
I still love you.

furnish

Postby furnish » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:51 pm

Major rumours for today

Theo Walcott is expected to complete his

threelions

Postby threelions » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:34 pm

Well the Walcott deal has gone through finally but thats alot of money for such a young player, hope he is worth it.
I went into the gas station, said, "Fill 'er up, Harry."
The guy said, "Regular?"
I said, "No, put on a gorrila suit and dance like a fairy."

PreviousNext

Return to A Question of Sport