FOOTBALL.

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Sly Boots
MILF

Re: FOOTBALL.

Postby Sly Boots » Wed May 16, 2018 4:29 pm

Just because I'm bored, will hazard a guess at the first and second XIs:

First XI:

Butland

Walker, Stones, Cahill

Trippier, Dier, Henderson, Young

Alli, Sterling

Kane

Second XI:

Pickford

Alexander-Arnold, Jones, Cahill, Rose

Lingard, Loftus-Cheek, Delph, Welbeck

Vardy, Rashford

Leftover: Pope

I tried to get the second XI to be a similar formation to the first XI but couldn't do it, not enough CBs, and the midfield of the second XI looks weird to me with Delph, who hasn't really played that position this year, and Welbeck at left-wing.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu May 17, 2018 9:20 am

I think that is pretty spot on, I'd just swap Pickford for Butland.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Thu May 17, 2018 9:23 am

Yep, Pickford will start I reckon.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu May 17, 2018 9:23 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:I think that is pretty spot on, I'd just swap Pickford for Butland.

Yeah, I was 50/50 on that honestly, I just went with the most caps as first choice (though it's hardly a massive difference, 7 vs 2). I'd probably play Pope if it was me, though, had an outstanding season whereas the other two were a bit meh really.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Thu May 17, 2018 9:27 am

Playing an un-capped keeper at the World Cup is a bit too much of a risk, especially as he hasn't represented England at any level previously.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu May 17, 2018 10:07 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:Playing an un-capped keeper at the World Cup is a bit too much of a risk, especially as he hasn't represented England at any level previously.

But I don't care if we go out -_-
My face is tired.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Thu May 17, 2018 5:15 pm

That's the spirit! :D

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon May 21, 2018 8:59 pm

Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44203679
My face is tired.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Tue May 22, 2018 11:14 am

Hmm, makes sense I suppose. He always seemed to be the logical choice after leaving PSG.

I thought they'd go more left-field with the appointment, it just goes to show what I know. :)

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue May 22, 2018 11:35 am

Medicine Man wrote:Hmm, makes sense I suppose. He always seemed to be the logical choice after leaving PSG.

I thought they'd go more left-field with the appointment, it just goes to show what I know. :)

Reading John Cross' piece (who seems to have the inside track at Arsenal, despite writing for The Mirror), it sounds as though they'd gone as far as agreeing terms with Arteta and readying a contract, when they got cold feet at the 11th hour fearing a fan backlash and went for the seemingly safer option instead - Arteta apparently shocked and disappointed as he believed he was getting it and City were making preparations for his departure.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... i-12574866

Only basing this on the social media reaction I've seen, but Arsenal fans generally seem pretty 50/50 about it (some in favour, some not).
My face is tired.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Tue May 22, 2018 12:45 pm

I'd rather see the younger, supposedly untested manager given a go rather than the same old faces recycled around the clubs ad nauseum. Although I think Emre will be a first rate appointment for Arsenal. It's just a shame younger, more up and coming managers are ignored due to the pressure on clubs for instant success and the associated fear that goes along with it. It's not healthy and everyone cant always be a winner.

Good luck the guy, by what you saying Sly he's going to need it.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue May 22, 2018 7:17 pm

I wouldn't trust anything Cross says, he likes to think he has the inside-track, but is more often than not wrong. Case in point, Emrey won one title with PSG and Moss says in his report he won two.

The whole reporting around this appointment has really shown how terrible football reporting/punditry in general really is. It just revolves around rumours and half-truths which are reported as fact and then commented on as if it is all true. All the stuff around who Arsenal were going to appoint was just rumours and conjecture with no more validity than the usual nonsense we get at this time of year around the transfer market. Everyone likes to think they have the inside-scoop, but in reality all this really is is the football equivalent of "I have an Uncle who works at Nintendo and he told me..."

As for the appointment itself I think it's a pretty good one. Putting aside whether Arteta had the necessary experience to manage Arsenal I think the mind-set/culture he would have bought to the club would have been too similar to Wenger's. We need a real culture change with a more structured approach and Emrey will bring that.

I would have still liked Alergi, but I think failure to qualify for the Champions League put paid to that as a possibility.

Eny

Postby Eny » Sat May 26, 2018 7:18 pm

That c.unt Ramos knew exactly what he was doing, the bastard.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

katarn

Postby katarn » Sun May 27, 2018 8:20 am

Commiserations to Mr Boots. Without those goalkeeping errors, it could have been very different.

Amazing goal by Bale though. Possibly one of the best goals ever scored, especially with it being in a crucial final.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun May 27, 2018 9:08 am

Eny wrote:That c.unt Ramos knew exactly what he was doing, the bastard.

Yep. Pole-axed Karius with an elbow to the face two minutes before his big error as well.

Pretty down about it tbh. Did well to reach the final but doesn't feel great having lost to two such big mistakes. And hopefully Salah gets well soon.
My face is tired.

PreviousNext

Return to A Question of Sport