FOOTBALL.

They think its all over... got cancelled.

Sly Boots
MILF

Re: FOOTBALL.

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:05 am

Arsene Wenger stepping down at the end of this season after 22 years at Arsenal:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... the-season

Not been the most successful in recent years, but will be remembered as one of those who helped drag English football into the modern era.

I wonder who they'll get in to replace him?
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:21 am

Bit of a shock, always felt he was going to try and cling on for another season. Fair play to him for finally seeing that time was up.

Instrumental in modernising the English game and an absolute legend. The Premier League would be a very different place without him.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:08 am

Yup, agree. And for all the untold millions being spent by City and the like, I don't believe his feat with the Invincibles team will be repeated in my lifetime, so deserves big kudos for that as well as everything else he's done.
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:28 am

Any preferences for next manager, Dj?

I would have said Tuchel was a good fit, but he looks set to go to PSG.

Someone like Rafa would get you very competitive again very quickly by tightening up the defence, but I don't think the supporters would accept someone they see as a defensive manager following Wenger.

I've seen Brendan Rodgers linked! :shock:
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:12 am

Tuchel fell out with one of the people we have recently employed to help out with player recruitment when he worked at Dortmund so that is unlikely. Of the people linked I would like to see Alegri, my second choice would probably be Ancelotti.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:23 am

Rodgers is never leaving Celtic of his own accord. He's three more league titles from immortality.

I predict a tumultuous few years for Arsenal ala Man Utd. As much as Wenger needed to go I think the Gunners will find the grass isnt always greener.

Lots of players to shed, as well as lots to bring in. Things are going to get expensive down norf Landan way.

I'd like to see them go for a young up and coming coach, Nagelsmann would be my shout now that Bayern have shat out of appointing him.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:38 am

Medicine Man wrote:Rodgers is never leaving Celtic of his own accord. He's three more league titles from immortality.

I predict a tumultuous few years for Arsenal ala Man Utd. As much as Wenger needed to go I think the Gunners will find the grass isnt always greener.

Lots of players to shed, as well as lots to bring in. Things are going to get expensive down norf Landan way.

I'd like to see them go for a young up and coming coach, Nagelsmann would be my shout now that Bayern have shat out of appointing him.

I've also seen the (I think) Monaco boss Jardim mentioned - possibly a very good fit given how he got a very young inexperienced team performing, particularly last season before a lot got snapped up by bigger clubs. Would also have some nice symmetry with Wenger who obviously also managed them prior to Arsenal.

I feel like it could really go either way. I think Arsenal have the makings of an excellent team, particularly on the offensive side. In that respect I think they're in a healthier position than United when Moyes went there, who although were title winners were all basically past it and the club was in need of major reconstruction. Arsenal need some work done defensively, but if they bring in a manager who can improve them there they could bounce right back.

Alternatively they could appoint the equivalent of Moyes, Hodgson or Rodgers and see it decline, at least in the immediate future.

Interesting times, anyway.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:51 am

By tumultuous like United do you mean failing to challenge for the League and no CL football, because we already have that. I don't think the re-building job is that big, the squad has good quality in it and I think a new manager with fresh ideas can get more out of the players we already have, especially defensively.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:09 pm

More tumultuous in the sense that they've been through multiple managers and hundreds of millions of pounds worth of players and they are still a shambles. Albeit a shambles that's won the uefa cup and is second in the league, but they are hardly a shadow of the Utd of old. You can just sense there's something not right at that club.

I hope Arsenal win the uefa cup, it would be a great send off for Wenger and probably a good old fashioned get it up you to some fans that have been on his case for seasons now.

I'm sure there is a healthy percentage of Arsenal fans who have never known Arsenal under any other manager and have grown up with Wenger at the helm who have wanted him out for a while now. I think they might be in for a rude awakening.

I hope they get the first appointment right and he too can bring long term stability and ultimately success to the club.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:13 pm

Medicine Man wrote:More tumultuous in the sense that they've been through multiple managers and hundreds of millions of pounds worth of players and they are still a shambles. Albeit a shambles that's won the uefa cup and is second in the league, but they are hardly a shadow of the Utd of old. You can just sense there's something not right at that club.

I hope Arsenal win the uefa cup, it would be a great send off for Wenger and probably a good old fashioned get it up you to some fans that have been on his case for seasons now.

I'm sure there is a healthy percentage of Arsenal fans who have never known Arsenal under any other manager and have grown up with Wenger at the helm who have wanted him out for a while now. I think they might be in for a rude awakening.

I hope they get the first appointment right and he too can bring long term stability and ultimately success to the club.

Agree with most of that.

I don't think there's any doubt a fresh face and approach has been required there for a while, but as ourselves and United have shown in recent times (and perhaps Chelsea soon to follow?) choosing the right manager is absolutely essential and if not then things can spiral quite quickly.

At least by announcing it now the club has plenty of time to choose a successor.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:26 pm

Yeah I agree that they need to get the manager right, but considering where we are now I don't think it is asking too much for the next manager to be able to make an improvement.

katarn

Postby katarn » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:48 pm

This is more of a general vague perception of his Arsenal career - but I never really understood why Wenger let his teams get more and more lightweight as the years went by.

Compared to his early years, I've lost count of the number of times his teams have been easily swatted aside away from home (by teams from both ends of the league).

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:57 pm

We've actually been pretty strong away from home the last few years, this year being an exception.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:37 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:Tuchel fell out with one of the people we have recently employed to help out with player recruitment when he worked at Dortmund so that is unlikely. Of the people linked I would like to see Alegri, my second choice would probably be Ancelotti.

Carlo Ancelotti has been offered the Italian national job, according to reports.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 19886.html
My face is tired.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:36 am

Go go gadget Pardew!! :D

PreviousNext

Return to A Question of Sport