Formula 1 - 2018 on CH4/Sky, Page 108 Onwards

They think its all over... got cancelled.

DjchunKfunK

Re: Formula 1 - 2018 on CH4/Sky, Page 108 Onwards

Postby DjchunKfunK » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:48 pm

From what I read the telemetry they were talking about was to do with going fast enough after making his stop to cover off a safety car pitstop. So it wasn't to do with his speed under the VSC.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:48 pm

Even the winner sounded bored when he was celebrating over the radio.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

katarn

Postby katarn » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:19 pm

Oof, Ferrari mechanic run over pretty badly in the pits. Somebody fucked up there.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:36 pm

Yeah, he has a broken leg apparently. Clearly the car was released at the wrong time, but it feels to me like a mechanic's leg shouldn't be in front of a car's wheel regardless.

Much better race this week, with some excellent performances throughout the top 10. Fourth for Toro Rosso is extremely impressive.

katarn

Postby katarn » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:49 pm

Looking at the slow replay, he's lucky his whole body wasn't rotated underneath the wheel. Back in the 80s there was a really horrible death - can't remember if it was F1 or Indy - when a mechanic got sucked under & died in a similar position.

I was urging Bottas to go for it a bit more towards the end.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:33 pm

Spoiler: show
What a fantastic two-thirds of a race we got today. It was looking utterly processional up until the first pitstops, and then the safety car made for a superb ending. I was telling my partner that if Bottas doesn't win this, I want one of the Red Bulls to, not really expecting it to happen. Four or five laps later Ricciardo is leading, and Verstappen has almost hit everyone in front of him. Sublime overtaking by Ricciardo, obviously helped by his lucky pitstop and fresher tyres, but Vettel really didn't deserve to have his race ruined (Verstappen apparently found him afterwards and apologised - at least he isn't blaming anyone else this week).

Red Bull may not be challenging for pole position much this year, but it's clear they have a fast car during the race. That's three teams that can potentially win races on merit now. Could be a good year.

katarn

Postby katarn » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:21 pm

Completely forgotten this was on at an early time today. Just finished watching the replay.

I've mentioned it before, but I've always felt Mercedes don't have great strategists to go with their great car and driver. They often end up a step behind when races take a sudden twist. I don't believe it's always down to bad luck.

Happy for Ricciardo, he's pretty much universally liked so he's always a popular winner.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:47 pm

He's universally liked *and* he clearly has to work for his victories - the perfect combination.

Every team has cockups with strategy; I think Ferrari tend to most often be the team to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, but Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari all have bad days in this regard. Red Bull just don't have as much to lose when it comes to making snap calls like this; it's extremely unlikely that they'll be fighting for the constructors trophy this year. Mercedes have said that they all knew it was the right call to bring Lewis in at the same time (Bottas had already crossed the pit entrance by the time the safety car was deployed so it wasn't an option), but they couldn't risk letting Kimi back past Lewis.

I'm sure Merc will turn their season around within the next few races.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:09 pm

I hope not, I am bored of Mercedes dominance and another season where they take the constructors and or drivers titles will do nothing for the sport. I would like to see a Ferrari win (clearly) but a Red Bull win would also be good.

Interesting to hear that Ricciardo is rumoured to be moving to Ferrari to take Raikkonen's seat. About time they cut him loose too tbh, while Kimi is hugely entertaining as a character - deadpan world champ every year since he has been in F1 - he just doesn't seem to turn up at races any more. When someone is gaining on him, you just know he won't hold them off. When someone is liable to be passed by him, he often fails to make the move (I don't think he made any attempt to pass Bottas for example). Ferrari should have two drivers both capable of being champions, and Ricciardo will always take a shot at passing if there is even a sniff of it coming off - look at that move on Bottas!

Just because I always loved this one:
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Edwin
the cunt

Postby Edwin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:52 pm

I don't think Ricciardo would be happy being Vettel's number 2 again. I think he's more likely to go to Mercedes if he moves at all.
second_base wrote:You need to fuck off now...like right now dude.

Parv wrote:Edwin has been my least favourite forumite for a long time now.

Raid
Duke of Preys-World

Postby Raid » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:04 pm

I suspect Vettel has at least some choice in teammates, and I don't think he'd want someone as strong as Ricciardo. Besides, it's not Ferrari's style to have two competing drivers; they have a number one and his wingman. There are certainly rumours that Ricciardo may go to Mercedes, who clearly have no problem with two drivers competing, and it wouldn't hurt to have another top driver in case Hamilton loses interest as has been suggested more than once in the last few years - he clearly has other interests outside of the sport).

I actually think Kimi has shown up a little more competitive this year. His qualifying form seems to have improved, even when compared to one of the best qualifiers from the last ten years. I still don't think he'll be in the sport in two years time mind.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:32 am

I am only going by what the C4 commentary said during the race show on Sunday regarding Ricciardo moving to Ferrari. Those are the paddock rumours apparently.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:37 am

I think Raikkonen has been on good form this season. Ultimately it must be hard to race to your maximum capabilities when you know your team is going to order you to move over to let Vettel through.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:25 pm

See I disagree there up to a point - yes, that must be a demoralising factor, but Kimi just doesn't show the necessary hunger to pass or to retain a position - same this year as when I last watched a year or so ago. That is what I have always found frustrating - he won't himself frustrate another driver looking to make a move on him as much as other front-runners, nor does he seem that enthused about passing slower drivers. He turns up, drives, does a serviceable job and goes home.

This made me laugh :lol: You can play it in your head in Kimi-voice and it just works.

Previous

Return to A Question of Sport