What Are You Reading? 2018 Edition

For your aural and visual pleasure.
eVoL

Re: What Are You Reading? 2018 Edition

Postby eVoL » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:30 pm

I take it youve done the hold power button for 30 seconds thing? Fixes most things ;)
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:36 pm

eVoL wrote:I take it youve done the hold power button for 30 seconds thing? Fixes most things ;)

I did try that, but it doesn't seem to be responding. It's almost like it's run out of battery but doesn't want to re-charge.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:43 pm

Mournblade wrote:
eVoL wrote:I take it youve done the hold power button for 30 seconds thing? Fixes most things ;)

I did try that, but it doesn't seem to be responding. It's almost like it's run out of battery but doesn't want to re-charge.

Definitely a stupid question but you've tried a different charger?
And if you can get any power in it at all have you tried a factory reset?

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:49 pm

I have not had any luck finding a charger that actually works!

The Kindle came with a USB cable and, even though the cable is a standard type (the same as is used for most Android phones), I've never been able to get it to charge unless I use the exact cable that it came with.

But that doesn't seem to be working now.

I'm not sure how to trigger a factory reset without accessing the software? Is there a physical reset button?

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:14 pm

I think I have a spare eink Kobo in a box at my parents you can have if you wanted. If your books are all amazon bought you need to convert them though so that’s a small pain.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:42 pm

Thank you for the kind offer, eVoL, but I am happy to use the Kindle app on my Android phone until I can figure out what's up with the Kindle.

In other news, I was just about to start reading the first Rigante book today, Sword in the Storm, when I suddenly realised I enjoyed The Stones of Power series so much I didn't want to give up before it is over. As such, I began the first Jon Shannow book, Wolf in Shadow, instead.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:19 pm

Recently read 'The First and The Last', Adolf Galland's memoirs from WW2 which was fascinating. Don't know what I am going to tackle next. I feel like something new. Maybe a different genre. I shall ponder.
Just once I want radiation to turn something into a giant fluffy bunny, instead of the Grand Poobah of all Mirelurks.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:08 am

Wolf in Shadow is great! I'm very glad I chose to keep reading in this series.

After Ancient Greece and Arthurian Britain, I wasn't sure if I'd enjoy a "post-apocalypse" setting, but actually I love it, and Jon Shannow is an awesome character -- the best Gemmell character so far, I dare say.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:02 am

Well, Wolf in Shadow got a little surreal toward the end, and I wasn't sure for a while if I was going to enjoy where it was headed, but I did finish it and enjoyed the ending and am now starting the sequel, The Last Guardian.

Gemmell is such a curious writer. There is something compelling about his novels that makes me want to keep reading, yet his style of prose is a little "basic" compared to what I have read before. Even Robert E. Howard, a pulp writer, I think has a more masterful command of language than Gemmell.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:10 am

When I went to the Gemmell signing years ago, he said that his writing style was basic almost to the point of being blunt, and had been told that his books were used as recommended material for people struggling to learn to read with dyslexia because of it.

Thankfully, the stories that underpin his books are always sufficiently compelling that purple prose is unnecessary :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Previous

Return to Music and Literature