What Are You Reading? 2018 Edition

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Mournblade

What Are You Reading? 2018 Edition

Postby Mournblade » Thu May 24, 2018 3:10 pm

For my birthday last year my wife bought me a Kindle Fire. This has revolutionised my reading, as it now means I'm able to read while I'm walking to and from work (two mile journey).

Okay, sure, you can walk to work reading a normal book, but it's not as easy to hold a book in one hand as it is a Kindle, and I don't like transporting books around anyway; I'm worried about them getting damaged.
I also had the Kindle App on my phone before, but it's not the same as reading on an actual Kindle!

In the last 'What Are You Reading?' thread (from 2016) I mentioned I had started reading David Gemmell's books, following the advice of Snowy & Gibby from years gone by, but hadn't had much success.

Well, thanks to the Kindle, and my daily walks, I was able to make some great progress there. I finished Lion of Macedon and its sequel Dark Prince which I really enjoyed. Having learned that these are part of a series called the Stones of Power, I decided to carry on reading that series before getting into the Drenai saga. I just finished Ghost King and now I'm on its sequel, Last Sword of Power. So good!

My intention is to read the entire corpus of Gemmell, which should take me about two years at this rate.

So what are YOU reading right now?

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Re: What Are You Reading? 2018 Edition

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Fri May 25, 2018 10:47 am

How do they rise up?

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Fri May 25, 2018 12:27 pm

Mournblade wrote: started reading David Gemmell's books, following the advice of Snowy & Gibby from years gone by, but hadn't had much success.

Wow, one of the upsides of having a bad memory is that I remember reading David's books and enjoying them but can't remember any of the stories. One for the next list to read.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri May 25, 2018 5:35 pm

I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara

Nice light feelgood....... fucking hell :|
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat May 26, 2018 10:45 pm

So this is to answer Mournblade specifically:

The Rigante series are, in my view, Gemmell's finest hour. Read them.

Also I would wholeheartedly recommend:
- Everything by Joe Abercrombie, read in chronological order with the First Law trilogy, then follow-ups being read.
- Next read the Red Sister/Grey Sister books by Mark Lawrence
- Then read every Powder Mage book by Brian MacLellan
- If you like the Sister series, read the Thorns series by Lawrence
- When you get done with that lot, come see me :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Mon May 28, 2018 8:02 pm

Thanks for the recommendations, Snowy!

I've heard the Joe Abercrombie books highly praised among fans of fantasy fiction, so I'll probably give them a look.

I'm also interested in reading Wilbur Smith's ancient Egyptian series, which I first attempted to read over a decade ago now (and failed).

But, given that I'm determined to finish everything by Gemmell first, we're talking years ahead here.

See you in "What are you Reading? 2028 Edition", I guess... ¬_¬

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue May 29, 2018 12:47 pm

Haha no problem.

I read the first of the Wilbur Smith books years ago, and while it was enjoyable enough it did not adhere accurately to history enough for me to really rate it.

I would respectfully suggest spacing out the Gemmell books, interspersing them with other writers - honestly try The First Law trilogy by Abercrombie, if they don't suck you in hook, line and sinker I will be surprised.

Dr@gon-UK
Forum Fossil

Postby Dr@gon-UK » Tue May 29, 2018 1:18 pm

Yeah,the First Law trilogy is a cracking read tbh. I read somewhere an interview with him saying he's got a trilogy in the pipeline set in the same world, can't wait.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Wed May 30, 2018 1:58 pm

Snowy wrote:I would respectfully suggest spacing out the Gemmell books, interspersing them with other writers

That's probably good advice, but I'm going to ignore it for now, as I generally prefer to work through one author at a time, so I don't lose momentum.

I've just spent a good hour scouring through the earlier threads of the "Music and Literature" section, from the golden age of PWF when there were dozens of people discussing fantasy literature.

It's strengthened my resolve to read all of Gemmell, then tackle some more of the "founding fathers" of the genre -- i.e. Moorcock and Fritz Leiber.

Speaking of Moorcock, I tried reading the Hawkmoon series earlier this year (or was it late last year?) but became bogged down during the second book. I should really finish it, but I reckon the Elric saga is more important; what do you think?

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed May 30, 2018 6:39 pm

I would agree, Elric is his most enduring character. Moorcock I find could be very hit and miss, some of his stories are absolutely superb where others just slip too far into psychedelia and are just a bit too fucked up for me to get through.

It has been years since I read anything by him, but I remember enjoying the Elric, Hawkmoon and Corum stories the most. With the whole eternal champion/multiverse thing going on, there were occasions where one would appear in the stories of another, which was always fun.

Lieber I love, but again too long has passed since I read his stuff, but Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser are fabulous creations.

Jealous at your having Gemmell's bibliography stretching before you though :)

Still a prized possession:

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 pm

Ah yes. This very day, in fact, I was reading your account of how you met him in person and how he didn't give you a straight answer to your question about all the characters who sleep without dreams.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed May 30, 2018 9:01 pm

That book was signed on that very occasion :)

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed May 30, 2018 9:06 pm

Pretty sure I told this to Snowy when we met for a pint last year but not sure if I've said it here before, but a colleague from the agency I work with is an old press hack, who used to work with David Gemmell before he left journalism to write fantasy full-time. At home he has an early draft copy of Legend stashed away in the back of a cupboard, which is pretty cool.

When I spoke to his wife at a Christmas party though she said she didn't like him (Gemmell).
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu May 31, 2018 8:27 am

Sly Boots wrote:Pretty sure I told this to Snowy when we met for a pint last year but not sure if I've said it here before, but a colleague from the agency I work with is an old press hack, who used to work with David Gemmell before he left journalism to write fantasy full-time. At home he has an early draft copy of Legend stashed away in the back of a cupboard, which is pretty cool.

When I spoke to his wife at a Christmas party though she said she didn't like him (Gemmell).

I can imagine him to be a very marmite character to know. He had a real intensity about him, projecting an air that he was someone you really would not want to get on the wrong side of, and he was a big guy to boot. At the book signing he talked about having done bouncer roles, including one bizarre story about being the security for a live sex show in a disused London Underground station. I suspect he had a whole lot of stories to tell that would not be to everyone's taste :)

I found him fascinating, not at all your 'usual' author if there is such a thing - I have been to various book signings and never come across anyone even vaguely like him.

Mournblade

Postby Mournblade » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:09 pm

I have finished reading Last Sword of Power. That was really good.

I just bought the whole Rigante series on Kindle, so I'm going to start them next.

As a side-note, my Kindle Fire seems to have stopped working, so I'm back using my phone to read instead, which is fine.

Next

Return to Music and Literature