Albums of the Year 2017

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Subway Diet

Albums of the Year 2017

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:07 pm

It's that time again!

And, to be completely honest, I've not been following music much at all this year. It's going to be another one of those times when I get caught up in 2018 after reading the AMG Best Of and Might Have Missed articles. :-k

So, with that said, Only about five of the albums I bought this year really rank. And they are:

-

Bonus spot
Hans Zimmer - Dunkirk Soundtrack
I don't typically listen to movie soundtracks. Of course I was going to get on board with the strangely anachronistic almost-industrial drone.

Runner ups
Satyricon - Deep Calleth upon Deep
It's an odd album. On first listen, it's more of the rumbling Dad Black Metal sound. But there's something both manic and subtly epic going on just under the surface. I get a feeling that, with more spins this one will grow on me, but the time needed to get my true thoughts is what gave me pause from putting it in the place of Ghostlands.

Mind.in.a.Box - Shattered Memories
Their continued exploits in the world of convoluted cyberpunk is most appreciated. It just misses this list as the sound continues to float in a more Rock like spectrum. They've walked it back a bit, but it's still not quite where it was with those first three amazing releases.

-

5. Wormwood - Ghostlands
The best half of an album of the year. It hit the Windir / Mistur epic black folk metal vibe, before swerving into much more traditional(and, to be honest, boring) sounding folky stuff. But what a first six tracks they are!

4. Samael - Hegemony
Samael also suffer a bit from the padding problem. Some songs just didn't hit as hard as others. Luckily they had the common sense to spread things out So, when I'm getting a little bored of Murder or Suicide, I know Against all Enemies is just around the corner after the palate cleanser of This World. And when it hits, it hits real good.

3. Perturbator - A New Model
Dropping some of the played out, slightly tacky retro vibe to go for a dark aggressive, almost melodic glitch core sound. I was already paying attention after The Uncanny Valley, but this really kicked my ass in a good way! The vocal track still gets an eye roll, though.

2. Igorrr - Savage Sinusoid
Screaming French Madness! Having been follow the lead guy from this for a good few years now, this album feels like everything he's done previously (Cybergrind, Baroque inspired Breakcore, Alien new-age Doom and quirky Gothic avant garde) coming together in a shockingly listenable record, considering how out there it goes. Always switching tone and mood, but always ready to twist expectations with an impish sense of playfulness. it shouldn't work this well, but it does!

1. Neurotech - The Catalyst
Had written a long, overly flowery summery but, in the end, decided to go with this: It's good. [i]Really[i] good!
It goes down so easy, and yet has substance and richness. It soars and dives in way that get my blood pumping. Had a quick check of my last.fm page. It's the third most listened to album since I started recording data in 2006. That should say something about how much this means to me. So, of course it goes into the top spot for 2017.

-

And that's that! :lol:
So, what has everyone else been listening to?
End of an Era

eVoL

Re: Albums of the Year 2017

Postby eVoL » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:16 pm

I can only think of 3 things that were released this year that have gotten much play on my lugs......

3. Polkadot Cadaver - Get Possesed
It’s perfecrly fine. It’s not amazing or hugely interesting but it’s fine. Feels rushed and lacks personality but you know..... it’s fine.

2. That Handsome Devil - History Is A Suicide Note
So it’s more an EP and not all the songs are great but Pendulonium and Savages are fantastic!

Annnnnd the winner is.......

1. Major Parkinson - Blackbox
Great album! Continues the dark oppressive sound of Twilight Cinema. Even though I don’t think (so far) its as good as Twilight Cinema or any of their other albums for that matter, MPs albums have all been so great that even if this is actually their worst it still easily takes album of the year for me.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:43 pm

We were given the opportunity to support Igorrr for their Glasgow show, it was a really cool gig to be a part of. Eclectic to say the least. I did quite enjoy watching them but the absence of a live guitar player did detract from the show for me.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:31 am

Burberry Knight wrote:We were given the opportunity to support Igorrr for their Glasgow show, it was a really cool gig to be a part of. Eclectic to say the least. I did quite enjoy watching them but the absence of a live guitar player did detract from the show for me.
Oof. Would have loved to seen that.
I'm guessing it was just the three of them?
End of an Era

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:44 am

Hmmm, not that much that has moved me in 2017.

The albums that have had the most airplay have mostly been from last year and before - Meshuggah, DTP, Gojira etc.

Leaves one option for me - Ghostlands by Wormwood. It does peter off a little in the second half, but is still a titanic album and therefore has to be my AOTY.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:53 pm

Subway Diet wrote:
Burberry Knight wrote:We were given the opportunity to support Igorrr for their Glasgow show, it was a really cool gig to be a part of. Eclectic to say the least. I did quite enjoy watching them but the absence of a live guitar player did detract from the show for me.
Oof. Would have loved to seen that.
I'm guessing it was just the three of them?

They had a live drummer so there was four of them in total. It was a good night.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:45 pm

In no particular order:

Midnight Signals - Starcadian
Was never not going to be on this list. More Daft Punk/Prince style electro funk pop. More chilled out than his last album but still utterly splendid and happy.

Seas of Infinity - Mega Drive
Another electronic artist who has typically been at the front of the new wave of retro inspired music. Mega Drive has always been darker and more groove based than many others, but this album really goes into new territory. A lot of big soundscapes and glitched out samples combined with a few outright gnarly bass riffs.

In The Passing Light of Day - Pain of Salvation
More in the style of their original work, this is a pretty dark grimy prog metal album about the lead singers near fatal extended hospital stay he endured a couple of years back when he had a flesh eating bacteria in his back. Really big fan of this one, probably my most listened album on this list.

A New Model - Perturbator
Similar to Mega Drive, Perturbator threw his more retro inspired sounds out of the window for this one. It is utterly spectacular and some of the drops in it are so fierce you can't help but scrunch your face up when you hear them.

Planets + Persona - Richard Barbieri
Chilled out IDM from the keyboardist of Porcupine Tree. Really low key stuff with a bit of jazz thrown in. Always loved this guys solo work, previous albums are some of my favourite records and this one didn't disappoint.

Honourable mention to Steven Wilson too, who released an alright album this year. Wasn't mind blowing though.

Return to Music and Literature