Paul Draper - Spooky Action - Ex Mansun Frontman

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Prey
Admin

Paul Draper - Spooky Action - Ex Mansun Frontman

Postby Prey » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:10 pm

Paul released two solo EP's last year one from which Friends Make The Worst Enemies was and Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid are taken from. Absolutely gutted that his handful of shows sold out so quickly (not for him of course) so it looks like my days of seeing him live post Mansun are still waiting in the wings. If you listen to the videos keep in mind these are very early preview demo style versions of possible album songs.

Hopefully the proposed full debut solo album he's been promising ever since Mansun first split isn't too far off now.

edit: Paul's first solo album 'Spooky Action' is out in August. Hell yes. Pre-ordered through Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spooky-Action- ... B071WV3KWX

Also I have to post this...

These demos and half-written songs for Spooky Action were archived on DVD-R’s and dumped in a stack of boxes after I abandoned the album all together back in the mid-2000s, I never expected to return to these songs ever again and I all but forgot about them. However, having promised the organisers of last year’s convention I’d give them one of these old songs to play, I had the daunting task of finding them and knocking them into shape. When I came to dig them out, for some reason I couldn’t find them anywhere in my studio.

It later transpired my studio assistant Ben had thought they were blank DVDs as I hadn’t labelled them up, and took them home to record Match Of The Day on. Thankfully the songs weren’t archived onto rewritable DVDs, otherwise my album would be a football commentary along the lines of, “hhhmmm he’s in a wide open space…” (now there’s an idea!) After a few unsuccessful attempts by Ben to record over the only existing version of my ‘lost’ album he gave up and managed to misplace it somewhere. After months of hunting, we finally found the album in his mum’s loft.

Well thank fuck for none rewritable discs. :lol:

Prey
Admin

Re: Paul Draper - Ex Mansun Frontman

Postby Prey » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:47 am

Oh. After pre-ordering my Amazon music app downloaded the first track as a nice little reward...

I actually didn't know what the fuck to think of this song at first but the more I listen to it the more it gets its teeth into me. Bear teeth that is!

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:45 am

Paul release his newest song yesterday...

Paul's exquisite voice plus a melody with a great hook with not an ounce of overproduction and simple catchy lyrics. Harking back directly to what drew people in with Mansun's sound but now with an ever so personal take instead. This song had me singing back both the verses and the chorus almost immediately thanks to the simple but genuine lyrics I instantly connected with - one more purchase make me glad - So true. The way we convince ourselves daily that buying new stuff will make us happier than we were without. I love it. Nailed it again. Cannot wait for the album now.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:59 pm

Holy crap that just made day. :D :D 8)

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:43 pm

You spelt your name wrong Dave :) x

Return to Music and Literature