Jimi Hendrix

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Rossell

Jimi Hendrix

Postby Rossell » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:11 am

Alright, so have heard some of the obvious stuff over the years but decided to go through the big Experience albums and well, love it really.

To be fair, can't believe how well some of this stuff has held up. Wanted to buy Are You Experienced but realised it should be 50 years old this year so surely someone must be bringing out a collector's edition of some kind. What'd you guys reckon?

Sly Boots
MILF

Re: Jimi Hendrix

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:22 am

Reckon to them bringing out a special edition? No idea.

As for Jimi... have always loved his stuff. Taken too soon.
My face is tired.

Eny

Postby Eny » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:34 pm

I'm sure The Estate have plans....they don't miss out on an opportunity usually.

Best album for me is the Band of Gypsies one, 'Who Knows' is just sublime.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:32 am

I discovered Hendrix way back when I was 17. At the time I was heavily into the early 80's hard core punk scene. Discharge, GBH, Blitz, Dead Kennedys, Bad Brains etc. You could only buy that stuff from the small independent record shops, the main chains never stocked any of it. When the one shop I went too closed, I had to find my music fix elsewhere. There was no internet back then to go look for other outlets.

Faced with that dilemma, you had two choices, either you went down the frilly shirts and eye liner route (I don't fucking think so, not in this life), or you turned to Lemmy and Hendrix. No points for guessing which way I went. The first Hendrix record I bought, was the second experience album, Bold as Love. It may not have the reputation of Are you Experienced, or Electric Ladyland. But it has remained my favourite Hendrix album of all. Some of the best songs they recorded can be found on that album. The title track is my favourite song of all time.

I know the sound of that vinyl record like I do my own voice. When CD's started to take over from vinyl, that was one of the first CD's I bought. The first thing I played was Bold as Love. Within seconds of it starting I thought 'What the fuck is this shit'. The sound was noticeably inferior to the vinyl. Over the years, as digital music has improved, I have got used to it. But still, the vinyl record is better.

Favourite live track? Red House, no question. The L.A. Forum version is probably top of the list for me. It starts pretty quietly, and builds up.

Hendrix remains one of those 'What ifs'. He had just had a reconciliation with Chas Chandler and was looking to start working with him again. I always wondered what his next album would have sounded like had he lived to fully complete it as he envisioned it.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Return to Music and Literature