Getting back into comic books - recommendations

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Achtung Englander

Getting back into comic books - recommendations

Postby Achtung Englander » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:28 am

As a one time fan of 2000AD I want to get into comic books. I last read them about 25 years ago !.

I am currently half way through the Tales Of Telguuth anthology and really loving it:

I am thinking of reading Y: The Last Man or I might get into Judge Dredd again. Some of the books on the 2000AD site are great.
Anyone read this ?

I hear that some of the Batman books are great.

Can anyone recommend any fantasy comic books - like the Tales Of Telguuth ?

Basically throw any advise here as I am open to new ideas. I fancy a bit of childhood comic fun back in my life and in between reading non fiction and fiction books. Ideally I want to hand over a nice collection of books to my son when he grows older.

Or should I bite the bullet and buy a digital subscription of 2000AD. Its £80 a year. I am looking to spend around £150 a year on comic books.
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

elgaucho

Re: Getting back into comic books - recommendations

Postby elgaucho » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:02 pm

Y The Last Man is good
So is Ex Machina if you like the Brian K Vaughan stuff.

Personally, i don't think Transmetropolitan was ever more relevant than it is today, in a Trump presidency world - i love that series like few other things that i've read! Just did a random google and others clearly agree with me!

Batman... try The Long halloween - i've always enjoyed that book more than most
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:40 pm

If you like transformers may I suggest More Than Meets The Eye? Transformers meets Red Dwarf effectively, I like it a lot.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:49 am

Any of the "New 52" are decent. You can pick up all the New 52 runs now they've moved onto Rebirth. Basically, they reset all the comics (Batman, Aquaman, Justice League) with New 52, and they've done similar with the new Rebirth launch. I really enjoyed Batman : The Court of Owls and Scott Synder and Capullo's five year run. All in all, it's a very good comic series. Same with Aquaman.

Y the Last Man is also very, very decent. I've yet to finish it so not sure how it'll turn out.

I'd say pick up East of West as well, it's a fantasy/wild west/futuristic mash up. Alternate timeline and has amazing art and writing. Again, I've yet to finish it but I've got up to Volume 3 and it keeps getting better an better. I

f you want a female led, medieval fantasy Rat Queens is very funny and pretty much takes the piss out of all the fantasy tropes. It's light hearted, but it's one I was most surprised by when I picked it up. Expected it to be good but it turned out to be excellent.

Can't go wrong with Preacher, Saga, Walking Dead, Judge Dredd, or the recent Star Wars/Vader comics.

I envy you.

OH AND SANDMAN. GET SANDMAN.

Achtung Englander

Postby Achtung Englander » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:34 pm

wow thanks Scrappy - you are obviously the man who has the knowledge on this

I will check out most of your recommendations

Currently reading Transmetropolitian on elgaucho recommendation

Thinking about reading Y Last Man next

Also took an annual digital sub for 2000AD. I find reading graphic novels between novels & non fiction books works well.
Games playing : Doom / Dirt 3 / Rochard / RTW 2

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:29 pm

Garth Ennis - Battlefields

Several short stories set during WW2, very gritty and brutal in most places but very funny as well. We'll worth a look.

Charlie's War

I picked up this classic WW1 comic a few years ago. Surprisingly dark for a comic aimed at kids. I remember reading it when I was young and being a bit disturbed but loving it. Beautifully detailed artwork as well.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:42 pm

East of West is my favourite comic series ever. It's so well put together.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Thu May 04, 2017 10:02 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Also took an annual digital sub for 2000AD. I find reading graphic novels between novels & non fiction books works well.

Cannot go wrong with any Judge Dredd IMO. Even the early stuff, which is obviously aimed at young teens, has something in it. I love this series due to how you can see it evolve and grow as the main audience gets older and older. It just ends up fantastic.

Return to Music and Literature