Gary Numan: Android In La La Land + Works

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Prey
Admin

Gary Numan: Android In La La Land + Works

Postby Prey » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:52 pm

The other evening I was sat staring at a blank wall as you do when I decided to take a look at whatever Virgin had randomly recorded for me when lo and behold I just happened to stumble across Gary Numan: Android In La La Land. Over the next hour it slowly dawned on me that wait a minute, I think I'm a huge fan of The Numan as clips from songs he'd worked on over the last decade were intercut with the interviews and him genuinely coming across like a top bloke who struggles with his own fame.

One thing I will always remember concerning Gary aside from the single fact I always had a deep passion for the great sound of Cars is that Depeche Mode often cited him as one of their main influences and in turn Hurts listed DM as one of their own. As I love DM and Hurts my obvious next step was to head straight to Spotify and slap on a random album.

What I discovered was firstly Splinter (Songs from a broken Mind) the very first song that started playing was "Here in the Black" and I must confess I was pretty much hooked from then on in. Not only does Gary have a stellar voice but the arrangements on his songs are the kind that make you want to nod your head like a fucking loon as each track plays out. The closest I can think of to a sound that made me feel what this first album experience has is perhaps strangle enough A Perfect Circle's very own Mer De Noms. Ok so Gary may not be a Maynard but he still has a great sound to his voice no doubts there. Title track "Splinter" was next and again the infuse of both Gary's vocals and a pounding backing track gel so well together - some excellent lyrics too.

Song arrangements are great in each and every song so far with some amazing sounding hooks that especially come across well on a decent pair of headphones in lovely 7.1 sound. So yeah it's been a long time since I "discovered" a new sound I was genuinely drawn to and couldn't wait to instantly digest more of and the obvious irony is that both his sound and his works have been around for decades and I've only just now discovered them.

Guess I'm back off to La La Land then.

Mantis
Admin

Re: Gary Numan: Android In La La Land + Works

Postby Mantis » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:04 pm

I've always enjoyed Numan's stuff, particularly since he fell out of favour with the pop world and started producing his darker and more weird albums, so generally from the 1990s onwards. He's good friends with Trent from NiN and you can see how much of an influence that had on his music. First discovered he was a more serious artist than just being a one hit wonder with Cars when we caught him at Sonisphere one year, then when Splinter came out we went to see him headline a show during the tour.

He suffers from Asperger's and has been through his fair share of crap from what I recall. Always seems like a decent guy from interviews I've seen and how he interacts with people during his shows.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:08 pm

I do think it's a shame his one hit wonder status has haunted him for so long as there is clearly something of an unseen genius of a music man beyond what most are familiar with to his extensive musical back catalogue. Found some choice quotes from the guy too...

I genuinely don't know how many albums I'm going to sell when the new album comes out, because I honestly don't know how many fans I've actually got at the moment.

:mrgreen:

I think any song should sound good just played on a solitary instrument with the vocal. If you have those basics you have all you need. The production then just polishes that idea into the finished thing.

Amen. As long as it doesn't end up being over produced that is.

Although I've not listened to anything NiN for a dogs age I am also a fan. The Downward Spiral was and still is an amazing album.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:32 pm

Thank god I found the song that was stuck in my head during the docu. It's named "The Calling". Epic song. :)

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:31 pm

I spent a day at the Silverstone GP in the late 90's (the one where Schuey broke his leg) on a corporate ticket helping out a mate who worked for Thrustmaster. They were working with Ubisoft who had just released a GP title and had PCs set up in mock-up racing cars using Thrustmaster wheels and pedals, and our job was to keep them working in case they crashed. We were in the Top Gear enclosure, in the Clarkson/Quentin Willson/Tiff Needell days.

One of the guests was Gary Numan, who was basically there to watch the race and enjoy the free beer and food, which we also had access to. I spent pretty much all of the Saturday chatting and drinking with him, and he was such a nice guy. We had been talking for about an hour before I realised who he was :lol:
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:58 pm

Ha nice. :lol:

Favourite songs from Splinter:

ALL OF THEM. There's not a single filler track on the entire fucking album I swear.

Can anyone recommend me a similar sounding album at all? Chars!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:59 pm

Dead Son Rising is pretty similar. That's the album he released just before Splinter.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:37 am

Forgot to thank you Dave. I've actually been listening to DSR for the last week or so pretty much none stop and holy crap this guy is consistently fab album to album.

For The Rest of My Life (Reprise) has been on repeat for instance since I started drinking coffee this morning as it happens. It's superb sounding on headphones and gets me right in the feels all the more as it gently progresses as I'm sure all of us can relate to the oh so minimal but no less heart felt lyrics...

I will love you
Miss you
All of my life
I will wonder
About you
All of my life.
I will need you
Want you
All of my life
But I've lost you
Lost you
For the rest of my life