What Are You Reading? 2016 Edition

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Stormbringer

Re: What Are You Reading? 2016 Edition

Postby Stormbringer » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:01 pm

Yesterday I read the poem Milton by 18th Century English poet, William Blake, which is basically a piece of fan-fiction about the earlier, 17th Century English poet, John Milton -- author of Paradise Lost -- but taking place within a completely and utterly surreal, mystical, Biblically-themed fantasy world inside Blake's feverish imagination. It has some incredibly interesting verse, but it's easy to see why his contemporaries dismissed him as a lunatic. The one really significant part of the work is the preface, which contains the verses that would later become the famous hymn 'Jerusalem', which went on to become the unofficial English national anthem.
Bear welcome in your eye, your hand, your tongue.
Look like th' innocent flower, but be the serpent under ’t.

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Tue May 03, 2016 11:26 am

I am currently reading The Jewel of Seven Stars by Bram Stoker -- a classic work of Victorian Gothic Horror fiction with an "Egyptomania" theme.

I read his famous Dracula during my absent years, which I enjoyed very much. If Dracula were considered the great-grandfather of all modern vampire fiction, The Jewel of Seven Stars is certainly a contender for the equivalent position for "mummy" fiction.

In fact, this apparently terrible film (which I have not seen) was an adaptation of it.

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:47 pm

Stormbringer wrote:I am currently reading The Jewel of Seven Stars by Bram Stoker -- a classic work of Victorian Gothic Horror fiction with an "Egyptomania" theme.

Like so many things I attempt, I got bored of this and stopped.

I am interested in seeing the new Tarzan film and then I remembered I actually bought a compilation of some of Edgar Rice Burrough's original Tarzan stories -- a nice leatherback volume from the same dudes who brought us the H.P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard collections that have recently been discussed in other threads:

This was released in 2012 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Tarzan's first published story (Tarzan of the Apes), which I am reading just now. So far, so good.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:32 am

Just uncovered my copy of Necronomicon: Commemorative Edition - HP Lovecraft. I shall try reading it one day.

But I am currently reading The Smartest Guys in the Room by Bethany McLean. Its about the Enron scandal. I am only 6 chapters in, and already its an example of 'How not to do big corporate business'. Its really quite shocking.

Also reading The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie. I have never read any of her books before, so I randomly picked one.

Recently finished Joe Abercrombie's Half a King/World/War trilogy, a real good read.

I keep meaning to buy The Complete Chronicles of Conan: Centenary Edition by Robert E Howard. Has anybody read it? is it any good? Forget that, I noticed another thread on this. I shall go there and have a read.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:37 pm

So I'm deep into the Malazan Book of the Fallen. Only on the first one, Gardens of the Moon but boy it's so good. There's a lot that's not explained to you, and you kinda have to piece some stuff together but it's really worth it. I'm finding out new stuff constantly and the first book is just ramping up to a big conclusion. The fact the series is 10 books long now is perfect. I've found very little I want to read this year and this will be perfect to tide me over until Rothfuss decides to release his last book.

Apparently it was written from the two creators DnD session and was then wrote for a TV series and a couple of movies but got rejected every time so he decided to write it as a novel instead. He's admitted the first book is really, really hard to get into (I don't think it is but it's not easy) as he doesn't spoon feed you all the details and history of the World. You have to slowly unravel it through reading and connecting dots. It's meant I'm reading the book very slowly, but once you get two things connected together and figure it out before you're told in the book by the characters, it's so rewarding.

" The Malazan Empire simmers with discontent, bled dry by interminable warfare, bitter infighting and bloody confrontations with the formidable Anomander Rake, lord of Moon's Spawn, and his Tiste Andii. Even the imperial legions, long inured to the bloodshed, yearn for some respite. Yet Empress Laseen's rule remains absolute, enforced by her dread Claw assassins.

For Sergeant Whiskeyjack and his squad of Bridgeburners, and for Tattersail, surviving sorceress of the Second Legion, the aftermath of the Siege of Pale should have been a time to mourn the many dead. But Darujhistan, last of the Free Cities of Genabackis, yet holds out and it is to this ancient citadel that Laseen turns her predatory gaze.

However, it would appear that the Empire is not alone in this great game. Sinister, shadowbound forces are gathering as the gods themselves prepare to play their hand..."

It sounds so mundane and generic, and yet he breaks all the tropes of Fantasy at every stage. If you're looking for an epic fantasy novel, this is it.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:54 pm

Good series from what I've seen so far. I started reading Gardens of the Moon years ago and got about half way through it, but then got a bit busy with things in life and was put off reading for a long while. The first five books in the series are currently sat on the shelf ready for me to get back into when I've reduced my backlog a little more.

Currently working through the first 3 books of Iain M. Banks Culture series. Enjoying it a bit more than all his non-sci fi novels.

katarn

Postby katarn » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:30 pm

I recall having some pretty big issues with Erikson's dialogue and character depictions in the Malazan books, but his world building and large scale storytelling is immense.

I'm kinda having the opposite take on Abercrombie's First Law books which I'm reading lately. Excellent varied characters and dialogue, but I'm not at all convinced with his overall plotting.

Both series really do have their strengths that stand out though.

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:45 pm

Hmmmmm cheers for the tip there. I'm loving re reading abercrombie trilogy at moment. Nice to have another branch to jump to.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:19 pm

Just started reading Stephen King on Writing. Not got that far into it yet, but its well funny in places.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Previous

Return to Music and Literature