Great, that's kind of what I hoped :)
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Re: Mah book!

Postby Snowy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:30 am

Sly Boots wrote:Out of interest, when did you guys guess that

Spoiler: show
The Archon's giant was Raven's dad? There might be other twists to come, and I'm not sure whether for that one I gave away too much, too soon, whether it was pitched about right etc...

Sorry, I did :)

My stupid contrary brain looks for plot levers and then exults when the author pulls them. "Oh so he has a magical petrified Orc shaman's scrotum that, when tickled, expands to the size of a coracle does he? Let's wait for him to drop into the fathomless ocean with no means of travel and an imminent drowning shall we...". Well, that kind of thing anyway.

Mssr Mantis, my Goodreads profile won't tell you much - I have signed up but thats about all. I can make all manner of recommendations though - what's your taste with Fantasy? High/Epic I tend to avoid. Probably unsurprisingly I am a big fan of Grimdark but do enjoy a spot of Heroic/Historical too
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:13 pm

The same as your tastes really. I've been after some of the more dark and twisted stuff lately. I prefer it when the protagonists aren't necessarily good guys and the plot doesn't rely on your standard fantasy tropes. Generally tend to dislike stuff that delves into all the different typical races with dwarves, wizards and elves too.

At the moment I've got three series to make a start on, but I'm always looking for more to add to the backlog. I've got Abercrombie's First Law trilogy, Daniel Abraham's Dragon's Path and R. Scott Baker's The Darkness That Comes Before; all sat waiting to be enjoyed. I've also got a huge Robert E. Howard anthology of Conan stories too that I'm quite looking forward to.

Stormbringer

Postby Stormbringer » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:32 pm

Mantis wrote:I've also got a huge Robert E. Howard anthology of Conan stories too that I'm quite looking forward to.

Excellent. 8)

But don't forget, the companion novel, Conan's Brethren, has some much more interesting characters and much more interesting stories.
Bear welcome in your eye, your hand, your tongue.
Look like th' innocent flower, but be the serpent under ’t.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:25 am

Mantis wrote:The same as your tastes really. I've been after some of the more dark and twisted stuff lately. I prefer it when the protagonists aren't necessarily good guys and the plot doesn't rely on your standard fantasy tropes. Generally tend to dislike stuff that delves into all the different typical races with dwarves, wizards and elves too.

At the moment I've got three series to make a start on, but I'm always looking for more to add to the backlog. I've got Abercrombie's First Law trilogy, Daniel Abraham's Dragon's Path and R. Scott Baker's The Darkness That Comes Before; all sat waiting to be enjoyed. I've also got a huge Robert E. Howard anthology of Conan stories too that I'm quite looking forward to.

That does sound pretty much a carbon copy of my tastes right there, so:
- Prioritise the Abercrombie trilogy this instant cause it is fucking great, and add to them Best Served Cold, The Heroes and Red Country, the subsequent three titles that follow the initial trilogy. These can be read as standalone novels but reading them in that order following The First Law is the right chronology and you will get much more out of them as a result. So jealous I would love to have those to read from afresh again...
- Not read Abrahams, and while I also have The Darkness That Comes Before it never sunk its hooks into me and is still largely unread.
- Mark Lawrence is a great author, his Thorns trilogy (Prince of, King of, Emperor of) are delightfully black with a really vile protagonist and a fascinating setting. This is followed by the Red Queens War series of which the first two have been published - again another unusual protagonist, this time a cowardly dishonest womanising prince whose caddish POV the books are written from are just brilliant.
- Rob J Hayes series, The Ties That Bind, is also superb. Very much in the vein of Abercrombie but with a truly morally bankrupt crew of protagonists, this is a really enjoyable series with surprising depth.
- For a spot of Viking-based goodness, Giles Kristian's Raven series is top-notch.
- Scott Lynch's first two books, The Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas under Red Skies are both absolutely brilliant, cracking characters against the backdrop of a city part renaissance Venice, part Elizabethan London rookeries. The third in the series lost a lot of the magic though - not anywhere near the preceding two titles.
- Finally (as I really should do some work) The Faithful And The Fallen series by John Gwynne is also a cracking read.

elgaucho

Postby elgaucho » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:24 am

I'm still slowly taking my time through this, but just catching up on the posts, I felt I ought to comment.... and all I can say is that I'm loving it! :D

I'm less than 20% of the way through, but I'm totally engaged in the story, and each character has a real sense of substance to them. You've got a gift there Sly... I'm really looking forward to getting to the end of it, although it'll probably be a few weeks yet - the perfect bus commute book!

I agree with Snowy about the opening section, and the last paragraph in chapter 1 or whatever it was. I love the concept you're trying to go for there, and I see the mechanic you're trying to apply, but it doesn't quite work for me. But once you moved onto the story main that was long forgotten.

I still want to go back and see if, in my head, I can reword that to achieve what you wanted and work out why it niggled me.

That said, it doesn't detract from the huge achievement here! I attribute that to you finding your stride on your first book, and it very quickly moves into what is so far a hugely entertaining story! :)

Looking forward to the TV adaptation in 15 years!
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:47 am

elgaucho wrote:I'm still slowly taking my time through this, but just catching up on the posts, I felt I ought to comment.... and all I can say is that I'm loving it! :D

I'm less than 20% of the way through, but I'm totally engaged in the story, and each character has a real sense of substance to them. You've got a gift there Sly... I'm really looking forward to getting to the end of it, although it'll probably be a few weeks yet - the perfect bus commute book!

I agree with Snowy about the opening section, and the last paragraph in chapter 1 or whatever it was. I love the concept you're trying to go for there, and I see the mechanic you're trying to apply, but it doesn't quite work for me. But once you moved onto the story main that was long forgotten.

I still want to go back and see if, in my head, I can reword that to achieve what you wanted and work out why it niggled me.

That said, it doesn't detract from the huge achievement here! I attribute that to you finding your stride on your first book, and it very quickly moves into what is so far a hugely entertaining story! :)

Looking forward to the TV adaptation in 15 years!

Thanks mate, glad you're enjoying it. :)
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:00 pm

Snowy wrote:
Mantis wrote:The same as your tastes really. I've been after some of the more dark and twisted stuff lately. I prefer it when the protagonists aren't necessarily good guys and the plot doesn't rely on your standard fantasy tropes. Generally tend to dislike stuff that delves into all the different typical races with dwarves, wizards and elves too.

- Prioritise the Abercrombie trilogy this instant cause it is fucking great, and add to them Best Served Cold, The Heroes and Red Country, the subsequent three titles that follow the initial trilogy. These can be read as standalone novels but reading them in that order following The First Law is the right chronology and you will get much more out of them as a result. So jealous I would love to have those to read from afresh again...
- Not read Abrahams, and while I also have The Darkness That Comes Before it never sunk its hooks into me and is still largely unread.
- Mark Lawrence is a great author, his Thorns trilogy (Prince of, King of, Emperor of) are delightfully black with a really vile protagonist and a fascinating setting. This is followed by the Red Queens War series of which the first two have been published - again another unusual protagonist, this time a cowardly dishonest womanising prince whose caddish POV the books are written from are just brilliant.
- Rob J Hayes series, The Ties That Bind, is also superb. Very much in the vein of Abercrombie but with a truly morally bankrupt crew of protagonists, this is a really enjoyable series with surprising depth.
- For a spot of Viking-based goodness, Giles Kristian's Raven series is top-notch.
- Scott Lynch's first two books, The Lies of Locke Lamora and Red Seas under Red Skies are both absolutely brilliant, cracking characters against the backdrop of a city part renaissance Venice, part Elizabethan London rookeries. The third in the series lost a lot of the magic though - not anywhere near the preceding two titles.
- Finally (as I really should do some work) The Faithful And The Fallen series by John Gwynne is also a cracking read.

A lot on there that I haven't ever heard of, so cheers for that! I'll crack on with Abercrombie next then.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:23 pm

Review posted on Amazon bud

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:45 pm

That's great, thanks Snowy!

If you could post it up on Goodreads as well, that'd be fab :)
My face is tired.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:21 pm

Done.

Also Mantis - almost forgot, try these - the Ketty Jay series by Chris Wooding, starting with Retribution Falls. These are a mad series of books set in a world of air-buccaneers, pirate airships, steampunk cities, with a cast of amoral unscrupulous potty-mouthed villains. Pure swashbuckling, I am amazed that they have not been televised - I believe the correct term is a romp, they are fucking fantastic start to end. Read the first and I guarantee you will devour all five.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:35 pm

Oh fuck it, bought. Despite reading Gardens of the Moon.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:55 pm

I don't know what that means, but thanks! :)
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:51 pm

Snowy wrote:

Incidentally, Snowy, have just started reading Prince of Fools, my first foray into Mark Lawrence. I say "just started", I actually read 50% during a long train journey yesterday to Yorkshire and back.

Loving it so far... I did look at the preview of Prince of Thorns but not sure the totally amoral protagonist (particularly in the first-person, which really does catapult you into the same headspace as the character you're reading) was really my cup of tea. But Jal's self-centred cowardly cad is brilliant. Shall enjoy working my way through the trilogy, so thanks for the recommendation (I also bought The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie).

Mark Lawrence's next book, Red Sister, is out in a few months I think. Seems to be garnering a lot of 5/5 scores on the fantasy sites that have been given advance copies.
My face is tired.

Jez

Postby Jez » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:31 pm

Started that Lawrence book Prince of thorns last night. Love it so far seems like a decent read thanks for the tip Snowy.

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature