Mah book!

For your aural and visual pleasure.
User avatar
Mantis
Admin
 
Posts: 26990
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:53 pm
Location: Nobody's Here

Re: Mah book!

Postby Mantis » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:05 am

Congrats man. Must be quite surreal to see your name on those charts.

Just over half way through it myself and planning on hopefully nailing the rest this weekend.

User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 13342
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: Mah book!

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:06 am

Excellent, intrigued to hear your thoughts!

And get your book written! My wife started one the other night. In her words "if you can do it..." :lol:
My face is tired.

User avatar
gpa-gone-west
 
Posts: 3028
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:38 am

Re: Mah book!

Postby gpa-gone-west » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:35 pm

Sly Boots wrote:Excellent, intrigued to hear your thoughts!

And get your book written! My wife started one the other night. In her words "if you can do it..." :lol:


First thing my brother said after I self published was "maybe your not such a fucking idiot after all" :lol:
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

User avatar
elgaucho
 
Posts: 2678
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:34 pm
Location: Ground Zero

Re: Mah book!

Postby elgaucho » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:51 am

Congrats btw!

Picked up a copy just now - i'm awful at getting around to actually reading many books these days, but I might use it to pass some commuting time! :)
Fire! Fire! Fiiiiiiiire!
Image

User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 13342
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: Mah book!

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:22 pm

Thanks mate, let me know what you think :)
My face is tired.

User avatar
Snowy
Metal as Fuck
 
Posts: 10355
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:41 pm
Location: Ballhang

Re: Mah book!

Postby Snowy » Thu May 12, 2016 6:47 am

Started it yesterday Sly.

I initially had doubts, as some of the prose in the first page or two didn't quite work for me, but whatever that was (possibly me, will go back and re-read for you at some point) it didn't last and now I am enjoying it.

Cole has just taken a dive off the wall of the solar, so you know where I am up to - maybe 10% or so in.
Image
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 13342
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: Mah book!

Postby Sly Boots » Thu May 12, 2016 7:55 am

Snowy wrote:Started it yesterday Sly.

I initially had doubts, as some of the prose in the first page or two didn't quite work for me, but whatever that was (possibly me, will go back and re-read for you at some point) it didn't last and now I am enjoying it.

Cole has just taken a dive off the wall of the solar, so you know where I am up to - maybe 10% or so in.


Thanks mate :)

Personally think it gets better as it goes on, so let me know what you think.

Between copies sold and equivalent # of pages read via Unlimited, I'm at about the 700 units sold mark now, which I'm pretty pleased with for the first six weeks of my first bash at this. :o
My face is tired.

User avatar
katarn
 
Posts: 8882
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:44 pm

Re: Mah book!

Postby katarn » Sat May 14, 2016 5:06 pm

Only just noticed this thread.

Well done Sly! I'll make a purchase of it at some point soon to support it. Glad to hear your sales are going well. :D

I've actually been toying with some writing myself (thread hijack!), but it's still early days for me. Doesn't help that I keep changing my mind about the whole point of my story halfway through writing chapters. God knows if it'll ever get to the point of putting something out on kindle, but I'm quite enjoying doing it at least.

User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 13342
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: Mah book!

Postby Sly Boots » Sat May 14, 2016 5:31 pm

That's the main thing katarn, enjoying what you're doing. Down the years I've probably started and abandoned novels four or five times, but it all helps, and elements of those early ideas have made it into the one I finished.

Enjoying writing the second one as well, hoping to get the first draft finished by the end of the year.
My face is tired.

User avatar
gpa-gone-west
 
Posts: 3028
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:38 am

Re: Mah book!

Postby gpa-gone-west » Mon May 16, 2016 5:09 pm

As Sly said, the bottom line is enjoying writing. We would all love to be a few quid behind JK Rowling, but that sort of success happens very rarely. Finishing the book is one the biggest achievements of my life. I have never seen anything through to a completion, but I did with the book. If its any good or not, is neither the point, nor for me to say. The fact I saw it through, is.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

User avatar
Snowy
Metal as Fuck
 
Posts: 10355
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:41 pm
Location: Ballhang

Re: Mah book!

Postby Snowy » Mon May 23, 2016 5:04 pm

OK I am not finished yet (Kindle reckons 65%) so this might be a bit premature.

To be totally honest, I bought this because I wanted to show solidarity to another forumite who had done a ton of work off their own back to create something. My brother self-published a book a few years ago, and despite him being my brother and I love him and all that, it is an absolutely abysmal story, told badly. I have read other self-published works too, some good, most not. My expectations were, therefore, low.

So Sly, I have to say that so far it is fucking superb. I mean really, really fucking good. I have read a LOT of fantasy, and it takes a great deal to fire up my jaded palate, but you have managed to do so. One of the things I particularly am enjoying is the random stories (sorry if they are not, but y'know, 65% in...) - something that takes me back to old pencil and paper role-playing games of yore. Yes you have an overarching story and quest (which has me intrigued by the way) but you still drop in evocative little vignettes which make for surprising turns in the road and little splashes of colour which add extra richness to the world you have created.

Top work mate, thoroughly enjoying it as you may have guessed, will happily give you a cracking review once done, and also happy to test read anything you might want read in the future.

Well fucking done :D
Image
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 13342
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: Mah book!

Postby Sly Boots » Mon May 23, 2016 6:05 pm

Snowy wrote:OK I am not finished yet (Kindle reckons 65%) so this might be a bit premature.

To be totally honest, I bought this because I wanted to show solidarity to another forumite who had done a ton of work off their own back to create something. My brother self-published a book a few years ago, and despite him being my brother and I love him and all that, it is an absolutely abysmal story, told badly. I have read other self-published works too, some good, most not. My expectations were, therefore, low.

So Sly, I have to say that so far it is fucking superb. I mean really, really fucking good. I have read a LOT of fantasy, and it takes a great deal to fire up my jaded palate, but you have managed to do so. One of the things I particularly am enjoying is the random stories (sorry if they are not, but y'know, 65% in...) - something that takes me back to old pencil and paper role-playing games of yore. Yes you have an overarching story and quest (which has me intrigued by the way) but you still drop in evocative little vignettes which make for surprising turns in the road and little splashes of colour which add extra richness to the world you have created.

Top work mate, thoroughly enjoying it as you may have guessed, will happily give you a cracking review once done, and also happy to test read anything you might want read in the future.

Well fucking done :D


That's awesome Snowy mate, thanks so much! :D

Funny you should mention the slightly episodic nature of some of it... as I was writing it I was thinking I was influenced in part by all the RPGs I've played down the years, travelling through different locations, questing etc. I wanted to try to give a bit of a sense of the wider world, try to show it as a living, breathing space, so hopefully it achieves that to some extent.

Be assured though that everything will tie up in the trilogy, even if they don't all in this first book. Already about 20% complete with the follow-up, and looking forward to bringing two of the main characters together who, up until now, haven't met.

Seriously, really appreciated, you're pretty much my target audience I think, so if you'd hated it that would have pretty much been game over :lol:

Edit: Review on Amazon would be fab as well, thanks ;)
Last edited by Sly Boots on Mon May 23, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My face is tired.

User avatar
Quietman
 
Posts: 22022
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:17 pm
Location: Mega Tokyo

Re: Mah book!

Postby Quietman » Mon May 23, 2016 6:19 pm

Well if Snowy likes it then it must be worth a punt.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

User avatar
Sly Boots
MILF
 
Posts: 13342
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: Mah book!

Postby Sly Boots » Mon May 23, 2016 6:29 pm

There's my cover quote :lol:
My face is tired.

User avatar
Snowy
Metal as Fuck
 
Posts: 10355
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:41 pm
Location: Ballhang

Re: Mah book!

Postby Snowy » Tue May 24, 2016 7:42 am

Haha I would only ask a minimal royalty ;)

Honestly anyone else on here with even a passing interest in Fantasy books, pick it up. Actually sod that - buy it anyway you tight fucks, it is by one of the forum! :twisted:
Image
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests