Mah book!

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Sly Boots
MILF

Mah book!

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:48 pm

So, my first novel is finally available to buy on Kindle. Two years of my life!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dawn-Dreamsmith ... dreamsmith

When Cole, a young man with a unique power, loses everything he has ever known, he must journey across an Empire to free the realm from the grip of an insidious cult seeking to enslave its people.

As he travels through the untamed north hunted by a deadly adversary, he forms an uneasy alliance with Raven, an enigmatic stranger pursuing her own quest for vengeance. Together, their path takes them through the darkest and most dangerous corners of the land, where even the bravest Legion soldiers fear to tread.

Meanwhile, the Empire, still bearing the scars of civil uprising, prepares to make war against a mysterious threat far to the south. Ignoring his own misgivings and murmurs of a fresh northern rebellion, Prince Adelmar, Commander of the Imperial Legion and heir to the throne, leads the invasion and encounters the only foe he cannot outmanoeuvre: his own family.

Be great if you guys could pick up a copy - you don't even need a Kindle, there's an app you can download to read it on your computer or other devices.
My face is tired.

Subway Diet

Re: Mah book!

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:58 pm

Bought. :D

Will have to warn you that I'm kind of crap at reading novels, so I'll probably not have anything worthwhile to say.

Still, congrats on finishing and book and being published. That's quite something to pull off!
End of an Era

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:01 pm

Ah, cheers mate! My first PWF sale :D

Been a bit of a slog at times, I won't lie. Writing is a lot more fun than editing... and I've probably read the whole thing cover to cover at least 10 times now to try to catch everything... might be a while before the next time :lol:

Already working on the second one. Watch this space!

Oh, forgot to mention, there's a website with some bits and bobs on including character summaries and full-size versions of the maps (which my sister did, think she did really well):

http://www.alan-ratcliffe.com/

And I'm on twitter now for those that like that sorta thing:

https://twitter.com/alanrratcliffe
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:55 pm

Congrats on finishing it. The amount of fortitude it takes to write something like this should never be underestimated.

Just buying a copy now. Can't promise I'll get much time to read it over the next few weeks though!

Out of interest, not sure if you can actually disclose this, but how much of a cut do you take from Amazon sales? I know a few people now who self publish Kindle stuff on there. Obviously it's a great platform for unknown authors to try and pick up some attention, but I always wondered how much of a sacrifice you have to make.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:01 pm

Mantis wrote:Congrats on finishing it. The amount of fortitude it takes to write something like this should never be underestimated.

Just buying a copy now. Can't promise I'll get much time to read it over the next few weeks though!

Out of interest, not sure if you can actually disclose this, but how much of a cut do you take from Amazon sales? I know a few people now who self publish Kindle stuff on there. Obviously it's a great platform for unknown authors to try and pick up some attention, but I always wondered how much of a sacrifice you have to make.

It's in the terms and conditions, so I don't think it's a secret or anything. Basically, you can opt for a 70% royalty rate or 35% (I think you would only want to do this for certain books because of point 2), and for every download Amazon takes 10p for every MB of the file size. My download is fairly chunky because of the maps and length of the text, but for something like a picture book you'd probably want to go down the 35% rate route, because then you don't lose the download fee.

Obviously there's then tax on top of that as well.

And thanks for the sale mate :D

Is that you on Twitter? I've followed you back.
My face is tired.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:03 pm

Well done Sly. Many congratulations to you.

I'll ask you what I ask all aspiring and existing published authors: is there any sex with dinosaurs in it?

Otherwise no sale I'm afraid. :D

EDIT: Oooh it's kindleunlimited. How does that work in terms of you raking in filthy lucre? I feel like I'm stealing from you.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:04 pm

Medicine Man wrote:Well done Sly. Many congratulations to you.

I'll ask you what I ask all aspiring and existing published authors: is there any sex with dinosaurs in it?

Otherwise no sale I'm afraid. :D

It's important to establish context and suspense, MM, so I've put in a lot of groundwork on the dinosaur-doing-the-dirty action. Will it be in the next one?

That would be telling!
My face is tired.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:06 pm

Medicine Man wrote:
EDIT: OOh it's kindleunlimited. How does that work in terms of you raking in filthy lucre? I feel like I'm stealing from you.

I've no idea to be honest :lol:

I gather it's a good way just to get your name out there, which is the main thing at this stage I think. There is a programme whereby Amazon has a fund for their Kindle authors, and you get a share of that depending on how many pages of your book people read. I'm not sure of the exact ins and outs, but current wisdom seems to be that this is a Good Thing.
My face is tired.

Medicine Man

Postby Medicine Man » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:09 pm

Establishing context and suspense is all well and good, but I need my dino dick action!

I've hoovered up a kindle copy anyway albeit slightly guiltily, but perhaps I can be a test subject for how it all works or something?

Either way I shall give a read and try my best to squeeze out a hot Amazon review asap for you.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:15 pm

Nice one, thanks MM :)

Yes, there's a fancy graph for who is looking at it in which format (sales, Unlimited etc), so will be keeping my eagle eyes on it!
My face is tired.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:34 pm

Well done mate, thats some achievement.

Is there any pressure on you to get the second part out now? Are you going to go all George RR Martin or Terry Pratchett and wear a silly hat?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:40 pm

Animalmother wrote:Well done mate, thats some achievement.

Is there any pressure on you to get the second part out now? Are you going to go all George RR Martin or Terry Pratchett and wear a silly hat?

I am, and I say this with the experience of many attempts made over a number of years, not a hat person. I have however been cultivating a beard for about six months, so I've got the lower halves of their faces covered (as it were) at least! :lol:

Started work on the next one in the New Year, before focusing on just getting this one out, but I've got the first three chapters in the bag and half of a fourth done, so if I can write at the same rate as before I hope to be mostly done with the first draft by Christmas if not sooner, then another few months editing (I really hate the editing). Then onto the third, and probably final, part.
My face is tired.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:45 pm

Stuck in a hotel tonight without my usual entertainment devices so I've brought my kindle and bumped this up my reading list.

Also, who did the cover art?

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:59 pm

Mantis wrote:Stuck in a hotel tonight without my usual entertainment devices so I've brought my kindle and bumped this up my reading list.

Also, who did the cover art?

Excellent! :D

I found a few people just by looking online who I liked the style of, one was far too expensive (quoted £750), but the other was a guy called Luke Horsman (he's credited on the copyright page) on the People Per Hour website, who quoted a little over half that. Was pretty pleased with the final result, he did it all from my initial enquiry to final version within 10 days.
My face is tired.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:16 pm

Top job, well done. I know only too well how hard it is to stay focused and keep going. So many times you feel like giving up. I like the cover as well.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Next

Return to Music and Literature