When Destinies Collide

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Jez

Re: When Destinies Collide

Postby Jez » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:55 am

It's finding that "something" that people will latch onto I guess easier said than done of course.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:19 pm

Its so easy to just give up. But at the end of the day, I enjoy writing. That is the bottom line. I will do my utmost to try and be a success, and earn a living out of it. But its such a fine line between being a success, and being one of the many who never make it. Its not always down to raw talent either. If the gods are not with you, or the agent you put a submission too is in a bad mood that day, then your submission will end up in the trash.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Jez

Postby Jez » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:47 pm

It's a trite thing to say but...sex sells. (Alongside a great story)

I don't think game of thrones would be what it is without the general goings on that it's full of.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:04 pm

In fairness the GoT books, which were hugely popular before the TV series, while featuring sex don't read at all sexily. It is more the brutality and the believable nature of the characters, their motivations, actions etc. The best description that did the rounds before the TV series was that it was a 'fantasy War of the Roses'.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:14 pm

Jez wrote:It's a trite thing to say but...sex sells. (Alongside a great story)

I don't think game of thrones would be what it is without the general goings on that it's full of.

So I need to put some shagging in? :-k :lol:

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:41 pm

I don't think it's about sex at all. As Snowy says, the GoT book series doesn't really rely on it that much at all and it's one of the best selling fantasy franchises of all time. It's not like the show which shoves a pair of tits in your face every episode.

The best thing you can do is just avoid dodgy clichés, write three dimensional characters and generally not be shit. Pretty hard to come up with genuinely new and interesting stuff in a genre that has been done to death though. Even the grimdark, anti-hero setting is starting to wear thin a little now that everyone is trying to copy the success of ASoIaF.

You've probably got the best approach in that you're just writing because you enjoy it though. Don't have any expectations and you will always be pleasantly surprised. The more you write the better you'll get too.

Jez

Postby Jez » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:53 pm

It might not be for you mantis but there's absolutely no denying that a bit of bonk in a well told story and context sells more. As a book GoT a bit of racey stuff felt natural in the story and gave it some grit alongside the equally gratuitous fighting passages. It all transferred nicely into the TV generally though I felt it was overdone there sometimes.

katarn

Postby katarn » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:14 pm

I always find it's best when writers know how much to write, without overdoing it. You can really get the imagination firing for both male and female readers when describing attractive people (either physically or through their actions) in various situations or sexy moments - and in high fantasy, especially so - without having to wrestle the description of how a penis repeatedly goes in and out of a vagina, which gets boring after about half a sentence.

You can really add some nice, subtle hints of erotic thoughts from a POV character to pretty much anything and it's always pleasant to read when it's done well.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:26 pm

Knowing how much is too much, as far as the story in general goes, can be really tricky. You do have to stop yourself sometimes. There was loads of stuff/scenes I did rough outlines of, but decided to not use. Even now, despite it already being self published, I am contemplating taking a chunk out. In hindsight, I think it takes focus away from the more important story.

Its an interesting conundrum. Its making me think about the plot for the second book again, which I had already finished. I don't want it to be too convoluted, and certainly don't want it to be complex for the sake of it.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:08 pm

I finally got round to reading the book (bought it from Amazon yonks ago for my kindle). Really enjoying it, but /really/ want to know what's going on! So that's a good sign :D
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:27 pm

I've been meaning to pick this up as a token of forum solidarity for ages now but keep forgetting. Rest assured, as soon as I'm done with Battle Royale I will purchase a copy of this!

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:37 pm

It really reminds me so far of David Eddings' Elenium/Tamuli series, and I mean that in a very good way :)
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:53 pm

Glad your enjoying it. I was a good deal into the plot and characters of the second book (70% ish). But after a negative review, which I have no issue with as people have a right to not like my work, I took a good long hard look at Destinies again. I was wondering if the whole second thread (Politics, military build up etc) detracted from the main story.

I would be interested in your viewpoint on that once you have finished it. My cousin recently finished reading it, and didn't think it did detract. But she spent quite some time in the TA in the past, so had no issue understanding that side of things. I did spend a long time trying to balance just how much detail to give, and not being too anal with that side. It can be a very fine line.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:43 pm

Honestly mate, just write the book you want to write. Some people will like the extra stuff, others won't. What matters is if you feel it should be there to tell the story you wanted to tell.

Some people have criticised the way I switch between characters, others have said they like that structure. Personally I feel it's the right way for me to tell this particular story, but have got other ideas lined up with a more simple narrative structure.
My face is tired.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:11 pm

Sly Boots wrote:Honestly mate, just write the book you want to write. Some people will like the extra stuff, others won't. What matters is if you feel it should be there to tell the story you wanted to tell.

Some people have criticised the way I switch between characters, others have said they like that structure. Personally I feel it's the right way for me to tell this particular story, but have got other ideas lined up with a more simple narrative structure.

That's pretty much what I decided. I did spent a good while pondering things though, but came to the conclusion that I had written the story I wanted to write, in the way I envisioned it. OK, you can always think of small improvements with the benefit of hindsight, but cant we all.

As far as switching between characters, I like that sort of stuff, I really do. I know experts tend to frown on that, but experts arnt always right.

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature