Iron Maiden New Album 'The Book of Souls' 4th Sept

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Mantis
Admin

Iron Maiden New Album 'The Book of Souls' 4th Sept

Postby Mantis » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:25 pm

http://www.ironmaiden.com/new-iron-maid ... souls.html

Yeah, this week has had some seriously awesome announcements.

gpa-gone-west

Re: Iron Maiden New Album 'The Book of Souls' 4th Sept

Postby gpa-gone-west » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:21 am

Looking forward to hearing this.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:09 pm

Awesome video. It's about time Kevin Shirley sorted out his production sound too, this is the best sounding single they've put out in years. Looking forward to this album so much.

Edam

Postby Edam » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:12 pm

Needs more cowbell >.<

Love the opening section,sounds like their lat 80's early 90's stuff.

A bit off topic, but been listening to some old Bruce solo stuff. How awesome was the chemical wedding?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:25 pm

The production on his vocals and raspiness did remind me a little bit of Chemical Wedding actually. It's a brilliant album.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:28 pm

That new song doesn't do it for me, but that shouldn't be a surprise I have yet to love anything they have done since 7th Son.

I think I was very lucky being born when I was, I got to enjoy the incredible run of truly epic albums they did, but their new stuff either just lacks the hooks and riffs of the old, or I am getting old and love my rose tinted specs. I don't mind either way to be honest, but this one unlikely to get a spot on my playlist sadly. That said, great that they are still producing solid (if for me uninspired) material.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:50 pm

So I may have acquired a pre-release CD of this prior to Friday and am giving it my first listen now. The first song sounds like something right off of Chemical Wedding, it's unreal how similar the vibe is, there's even a spoken word acoustic outro with that weird voice modulation he used on Accident of Birth.

Ed:
So, first listen done. Standout tracks for me are Eternity Should Fail, When the River Runs Deep, Book of Souls, Tears of a Clown and Empire of the Clouds. Empire is so majestic, the first 5 minutes or so don't really sound like Maiden at all.

Can't say for sure after only one listen but it's definitely one of their strongest albums. There's definitely some filler in there but none of it really sounds as sterile as a lot of Final Frontier did. There's so much variety on this album, some of it a lot heavier than anything Maiden have done before, some of it not really sounding like conventional Maiden at all.

Edam

Postby Edam » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:11 am

Ok, initial thoughts are that it's got good production and is solid. However....

Bruce is not enunciating well these days. Can't pick out half the lyrics....I'm wondering what would happen if he shifted vocal style to a grittier lower register.

Good music but at some points it's feels as if they've lost their way and forgotten that there's and end of the song to get to (Red and the Black being the worst offender). It lacks inspiration.

I'll give it a chance though, there's loads to take in.

In terms of long songs...they should look towards early Genesis. Stuff like Watcher of the Skies and Dance of the Moonlit Knight were about 7 or 8 mins and always felt directed and to the point. Then you have Suppers Ready at over 24 minutes and it manages to be immensely varied whilst at the same time coherent with various musical themes running through it. That sort of musical artistry seems somewhat absent with Book of Souls.

I know Maiden can achieve that, but they feel (after only a few listens) to have fallen a bit short.

Return to Music and Literature