Devin Townsend Ziltoid 2

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Mantis
Admin

Re: Devin Townsend Ziltoid 2

Postby Mantis » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:54 pm

I put all mine under Devin Townsend. Makes it easier to keep track of on last.fm.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:56 pm

Madness!
It says either Devin Townsend, The Devin Townsend Band or Devin Townsend Project for a reason. :shock:
And you called me barmy for wanting to keep track of achievements on a single console.
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:58 pm

Yeah, but what do all those have in common? :P

In fact, I keep it under one artist for iTunes sake as well. Having to click separate artists just to change between Addicted and Terria would do my nut in. This way I get to keep it all on a single tab.

Subway Diet wrote:And you called me barmy for wanting to keep track of achievements on a single console.

Touché. :wink:

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:12 pm

My copy has arrived! I shall listen to DM raw tomorrow, listening to the theatrical one with my flat mate.

Edit: I'm a bit torn between what I prefer when it comes to Dark Matters; I really like the version with all the added story and theatrics, but the raw version allows the music to breathe in a way that also works really well.

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:20 pm

This is now on my rotation and I am loving it. Universal Flame ftw

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:01 pm

Finally got a hold of my actual physical copy and have just been reading the liner notes. I said way back when it first leaked that March of the Poozers reminded me of a Samael song, and boom, the credits for the album say "March of the Poozers was influenced by the Samael song On Earth".

I knew it.

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that this is better than Ziltoid 1.

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:41 pm

Not been in a huge mood for new music, So I've not made any headway into the two albums.

What I do want to say is that ZTV continues to be rather amusing, if very silly. Particularly enjoyed the ending of the first episode and Herman, which I'm damn sure is a direct reference to Immoral's front man, Abbath. Only, you know, furrier and with twinkles. :lol:

Also really interested in hearing the Samael inspired track. Just got to wait for the right time.
End of an Era

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:19 pm

Had a chance to listen yet, Sub?

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:57 pm

Oh man. No, not yet.
I just can't go into Devin Townsend cold. As much as I love the guy, his eccentricities are something I've really got to be in the mood for. Sadly, my tastes are currently more aligned with strange death metal from the early 90s.

Can only hope this doesn't end the same way Deconstruction and Ghost did. Never got my head into the right space and ended up listening to neither. :?
End of an Era

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:55 pm

Finally gave it a listen and... yeah... not that enamoured. Its a bit cringey to be honest. Z1 was pure cheese with comedic subtext, Z2 is "comedy" with cheese subtext and the comedy is kind of shit. "Why am I talking to myself?"... urgh. I did laugh at "my brotherrrr!!!!!" but on a whole it was a touch painful to listen to. Good musicianship and all, it just dosnt come together any where near Z1. The story beats are shit too, that might sound overly picky but I thought the feel of the story in the first one was awesomely epic where in this Ziltoid does nothing, then makes Herman growl, then does nothing. The intro track sounds so epic too and I was all pumped for the rest then... squib.

Sky Blue is fine. Nothing more really. Its far from Dev at his best and isnt a terribly interesting listen. I dont see it getting a lot of ear time if I'm perfectly honest.

Was so looking forward to it too.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:36 pm

I don't think I've listened to the version of Dark Matters with narration since the week it came out. As they stand alone though I absolutely love the songs; some seriously good beats and musicianship all over the album. Sort of reminds me of Deconstruction with less fart jokes. Just take out the daft story and it's a far better album.

Sky Blue is a grower. It didn't click with me at first but now it's one of my favourite things he's ever released.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:32 am

The wait is finally over :)

Off to London shortly. Yeeeeeees!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:43 pm

Well shit. That was the greatest Dev gig I've ever seen. That second set was just pure bliss and the sound at the RAH is amazing.

Pretty poor seats in the upper circle but overall still an amazing night.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:01 am

I cant imagine being seated at a Devy show :(
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Subway Diet

Postby Subway Diet » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:21 pm

Still not gotten around to listening to Ghost, Deconstruction or any part of Z2. Don't even have a copy of Casualties of Cool.
I'm failing in my Devin duties. :(
End of an Era

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature