Devin Townsend Ziltoid 2

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Mantis
Admin

Re: Devin Townsend Ziltoid 2

Postby Mantis » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:24 pm

http://omerch.eu/shop/devintownsend/

Never had any issues using his OMerch page.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:28 am

Nope, same for me, Omerch is a great little site, used it often and never had a problem.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:33 am

Ah, I've used them loads as well for tshirts etc. Forgot that they do cds. Cheers guys.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:19 pm

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:34 pm

:cry:

It's majestic.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:42 pm

God fucking damnit.

I thought it was the 27th of this month.

Four more weeks :(
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:49 pm

And just like that, it's gone. I've listened to a few snippets and can safely say that the Z2 tracks are fucking insane. March of the Poozers sounds like it could be a Samael song.

Plus pictures of the latest Ziltoid guitar, complete with smoke machine!
Spoiler: show

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:27 pm

Apparently one of the more normal songs on the album. I really like it, has a bit of a "More " vibe from Epicloud.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:49 pm

I'm glad I ordered the 3 disc version. I don't always listen to albums from start to finish and I can't stand listening to narration and voice overs when they're outside the context of the rest of the album. As it stands, Deathray doesn't really grip me at the moment, as soon as I listen to the standalone version or whole the way through Dark Matters I'm sure I'll love it.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:37 pm

This may be minor.... but I hope thats not his new Ziltoid talky voice :/
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:18 pm

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:01 pm

It's leaked.

It's also glorious. Can't wait for a HQ copy though, a lot of the intricacies are lost in this low quality rip, plus it isn't even of the final mix.

Dark Matters is fucking beastly though.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:15 pm

Listened to both albums, and certainly on first listen (big caveat there) I am inclined to agree with Angry Metal Guy when it comes to the actual Ziltoid 2 disk:

AMG wrote:Unlike the original, Z2 is mostly plot-driven. Narration takes a lead role, while the music itself is often little more than background. Many tracks are much longer than necessary in order to accommodate the fairly convoluted storyline (“War Princess” is particularly guilty of this). Sometimes, as in “Wandering Eye,” perfectly good musical ideas appear briefly, then get discarded to leave room for the characters’ dialogue. I imagine that this music will eventually be used in the Ziltoid TV show or whatever, and that’s great, but few of these tracks can stand on their own merit. The storyline itself is full of Flash Gordon-style sci-fi clichés and plot twists, which is fun if you’re into that sort of thing. Oh, and closing track “Dimension Z” features guest vocals submitted by literally hundreds of Devin Townsend fans, in what was an extremely cool move on his part.

Z2‘s 2nd disc, Sky Blue, feels almost like a collection of bonus tracks. This disc is separate from the Ziltoid storyline, and more song-based — think Epicloud, or the short-lived Devin Townsend Band. There’s a few heavier songs, some electronica-tinged ballads, and a surprisingly high number of Autotuned, club-ready dance tracks. Longtime collaborator Anneke Van Giersbergen (ex-The Gathering) is featured heavily on this disc, and is basically co-lead vocalist with Townsend at this point. As much as these songs seem like throwaways, they do have a bit more staying power than the first disc’s material, by virtue of being, y’know, actual songs.

Full review here

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:12 am

Fair criticism I think. Though I reckon that War Princess through to Ziltoid Goes Home is an absolutely amazing sequence of tracks. The others do get bogged down a bit in the narration. I'm pretty certain I'll be spending most of my time listening to the extra disc for Dark Matters.

Completely disagree with what they said about Sky Blue though, it's definitely not just a bunch of bonus tracks; in fact it's the first disc on the album so if anything it's the thing people will listen to first. It took a couple of listens but it's grown on me a lot. It feels far more consistent than Epicloud and one hell of a lot more poppy too, though some of the songs have a more melancholy tinge. The title track is just wonderful.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:01 am

Mantis wrote:Completely disagree with what they said about Sky Blue though, it's definitely not just a bunch of bonus tracks; in fact it's the first disc on the album so if anything it's the thing people will listen to first. It took a couple of listens but it's grown on me a lot. It feels far more consistent than Epicloud and one hell of a lot more poppy too, though some of the songs have a more melancholy tinge. The title track is just wonderful.

I am with you 100% based on listens to date. Also took umbrage with the 'auto-tuned dance music' comment, first I can't hear a single auto-tune (and have heard Devy and Annie live often enough to know they can both belt out a tune) and second while it is lighter, poppier stuff dance music it ain't.

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature