Guitars with a side of guitar.

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Mantis
Admin

Re: Guitars with a side of guitar.

Postby Mantis » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:55 pm

Which do you mean by the high strings? As in the thinner ones, G, B and e? My muting depends slightly on what chords I'm playing, but generally I always use my index finger to mute pretty much everything. So say I'm playing a power chord on the fifth fret of the A string, my index will barre across the whole neck but I'll only put pressure on the first note, the rest will be muted. I tend to extend my middle finger over the whole chord to mute the low E string too if I need to.

Also it's really handy to start getting into the habit of using the very tip of your index finger to mute the next string up whenever you're playing lead passages, particularly ones that go across multiple strings. It really clears up your tone to not have notes ringing out when you don't want them to. So, if you're playing a lick on the G string, your index tip will slightly touch the D string.

With regards to my wrist being flatter, that's likely down to the way you're holding your guitar. Try a few different postures until you find something comfortable, I tend to have the neck pretty far away from me.

Lovely guitar by the way, there's something really neat about Flying V and Destroyer models but I could never bring myself to own either. Destroyers look way cooler than Vs though.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:30 am

I love New Guitar Days. Gonna be finally getting myself a bass next week.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: Muting strings.

It's one of those things that I think you just do the way that works for you. For me, I use my index finger that rests all the way down the guitar and I have my pinky muting the string below because of the bend in my index finger means that it sometimes doesn't mute that string and it means that I get a really clear tone for my power chords. With the angle your fingers are at, you should be able to achieve the index mute easily. My fingers are more straight on the guitar so my index needs to be more flat.

I'm thinking of getting that RockSmith to get me into playing lead. It teaches scales and has a jam session built in which will be well worth the money IMO. I can get my bass hooked up ass well, which will be good as I've never played bass with any sort of amplification system. Looks like it'll come to around £50 for the game and the lead.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:23 pm

It's a good game, the session mode is supposed to be brilliant, I'm too shit to notice but you hear about people who can play improv loving it. It's even got a two handed tapping lesson :shock:

I was asking about muting mainly because at first glance I thought Mantis had arched his index finger on the power chord so it looked like he wasn't muting the strings at all. On a second look I realise his index finger is flat.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:55 pm

You were probably looking at my middle finger, I usually arch that one over to mute the low E.

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:14 pm

Lead is hard :(

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:14 pm

Need a decent-ish practice amp. Thinking of either an Orange Crush Pix 20DLX or a Roland Cube 40XL. The Orange does look awesome, but the Roland has a really nice acoustic simulator and pre-setup amp sounds.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:10 pm

You can't really go wrong with Orange or Cubes. I'd suggest going to your local store and getting them to order some in to test out. It's always best you hear the tone for yourself first hand before you buy.

Don't get pushed into buying anything cheap like Line 6 though. It's really hard to coax a decent versatile sound out of lower end models like that.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:13 pm

It's here! The new member of my instrumental family, my first ever bass:

Pew-Pew

Postby Pew-Pew » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:45 pm

Ibanez Soundgear, right? I have a SR506 bass from back in t'day which is still pretty good. Neck heavy as fuck though.
Prey wrote: plus i rally want to jukmp on my wife but she ssleep.

i might ha ve to giver her a moo o rtwo

-_-

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:25 am

It's a Schecter SGR C-4, bud. I got it for £199 and I am actually surprised at how nice it sounds and feels. Now, I know that I am in no way a bass expert, but I have played a few in my time that friends have owned. For the price, I really couldn't be happier.

Also, it tuned to open C nicely without too much give on the strings or any nasty rattle when playing. Result.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:57 pm

Came very close to grabbing a Peavey bass that was in the Amazon sales, but while I dithered they sold out.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Pew-Pew

Postby Pew-Pew » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:59 pm

Burberry Knight wrote:It's a Schecter SGR C-4, bud. I got it for £199 and I am actually surprised at how nice it sounds and feels. Now, I know that I am in no way a bass expert, but I have played a few in my time that friends have owned. For the price, I really couldn't be happier.

Also, it tuned to open C nicely without too much give on the strings or any nasty rattle when playing. Result.

Aha wow, it looks really similar to the Ibanez Soundgears:

Prey wrote: plus i rally want to jukmp on my wife but she ssleep.

i might ha ve to giver her a moo o rtwo

-_-

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:39 am

Ha! So it does.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:40 pm

Got a roland cube GX, pretty nice amp, even has a pass through so you can record stuff to mobile, although the quality of that is a bit shit. Got all your usual practise amp stuff with Chorus's and flangers and that sort of stuff plus 7 amp models including an acoustic mode which is pretty nifty.

I did actually want an Orange Micro terror, but even though its cheap for a valve amp, by the time you add in a few foot pedals it'd cost a bomb so bugger that. Cant' play Nirvana without a chunk of extra distortion and a chorus pedal too.

I've also found out the root of my issues playing power chords, it was the cheap guitar. The neck's bent outwards up past the 5th fret, so it rattles like a bastard when you do power chords up there. Ended up pressing down really hard to try and compensate, but even that wouldn't work. Can play power chords fine on my explorer, but even now switching back to the old guitar they start rattling. They still do make my arm knackered now so I'm probably still pressing down too hard on my explorer too.

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature