Burberry Knight

Re: Guitars with a side of guitar.

Postby Burberry Knight » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:19 pm

Wait a second, you're an Opeth fan, Snowy? I never would have known! :D

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:07 pm

:shock:

Edit: Oh oh oh oh, forgot about Hufschmid guitars. http://hufschmidguitars.com/gallery

Checkout what I always think of as the Dead Space neck:

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:39 pm

Framus have been making some really amazing looking custom guitars for Devy lately. Wish I could afford to commission one for myself.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:15 pm

Yep, all rather gorgeous, with the first being my least favourite.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:17 am

What's peoples opinions on short scale guitars? Thinking of trying one to see if it stops power chords murdering my forearm ¬_¬

Pew-Pew

Postby Pew-Pew » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:28 am

Are your hands really that small?
Prey wrote: plus i rally want to jukmp on my wife but she ssleep.

i might ha ve to giver her a moo o rtwo

-_-

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:13 am

Good luck with barre chords if you can't play power chords without getting achey. I'd suggest you just keep practicing rather than buying a smaller guitar, you'll get used to it eventually and only having a 22" scale length will really screw you around when it comes to trying to play some lead licks up the fretboard. My first guitar has a 24 3/4" scale length and even that can be a struggle at times if you try and play above the 17th fret.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:14 pm

Fuck it, just bought a Gibson Explorer off Ebays for £800. From 2005, the guy says its spent most of its time in the case.

Weirdly I can play barre chords fine (in isolation, cant change to them fast yet), just playing power chords in that top couple frets kills my forearms. Which I'll grant you makes no fucking sense since a power chord isn't far of an F barre chord. I suppose it doesn't help that the guitar is at the highest action setting and it still fret buzzes when you get strumming hard.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:56 pm

How exactly are you playing these power chords and which arm is it that's hurting? Do you play them as two notes or three and which fingers do you use?

Also, fret buzz can be caused by poor fingering just as much a badly set up guitar. So make sure you're holding down each note as cleanly as possible before you start making big strumming movements. Having the action really high is far more likely to cause you pain than lowering it because of the amount of extra pressure you have to apply to get a note to sound; I generally tend to try and get mine as low as the guitar will let me. And don't tense up your muscles in your arms when you're holding down notes/picking.

Pew-Pew

Postby Pew-Pew » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:21 am

Could you take a photo of how you're doing it, Me?

(also, by powerchord do you mean a full one with the octave or just a two-string one?)
Prey wrote: plus i rally want to jukmp on my wife but she ssleep.

i might ha ve to giver her a moo o rtwo

-_-

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:51 am

2 Finger Power Chord

3 Finger Power Chord

By contrast a Power Chord further up the neck

Also an F Major Barre Chord

Mantis, it hurts the arm holding the Chord. Even felt a bit tight just holding them like that, however the one further up the neck feels fine. As I said the action is at it's full height as any lower and it starts buzzing. I'm hoping this explorer with the lower action will make that first fret easier to fret with my hand which might alleviate the tightness.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:59 am

How much do you usually bend your left arm? In those photos it looks like you've got the head of the guitar really close to your body so it's forcing your fretting arm to bend pretty uncomfortably. I tend to play by holding it in classical style, but even when I put it over my right leg the head doesn't come that close to my body and my left arm tends to be not far off completely straight. The key is to be as relaxed as possible and do things with the minimum amount of force, bending your limbs too much creates extra tension.

The pain is probably being caused partly down to your high action and partly because of the position you're holding the guitar in.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:34 pm

Hmm, I hold it roughly the same way JustinGuitar does, I was under the impression it was bad to straighten your arm out, or move the upper part of your arm (the bit attached to the shoulder ¬_¬) to far away from your body. Go on, take a photo of how you do it for comparison.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:51 pm

It shouldn't be completely straight, but then nor should it be as bent as in your photo. I'd say I hold it at about a 140 degree angle. And yes, you shouldn't be moving your upper arm for anything.

Photos:
Spoiler: show
These aren't perfect because having to reach out with my right arm to get a good shot messed up my posture a litte. I'm playing a B5 power chord in each photo.

This is with the guitar in the classical position on the left leg.

And this one is your typical way of playing with it over the right leg.

Try to keep yourself from having the guitar almost horizontal, you always need to keep the neck in the air at a sort of 45 degree angle. Even when I'm playing right down the neck closer to the bridge I still don't really bend my left arm that much.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:26 pm

Ding, new guitar ^_^

Your wrists are much flatter than mine in that photo mantis, how do you mute the 3 high strings?

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature