Guitars with a side of guitar.

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Mantis
Admin

Re: Guitars with a side of guitar.

Postby Mantis » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:10 pm

Not strictly guitar, but I just picked up one of these for noodling around on.

I figured I'd experiment a bit and try to run my guitar through it and was quite pleasantly surprised by the outcome. It gives you a sort of lo-fi modulated guitar sound which sounds like it belongs on some sort of videogame soundtrack.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:51 am

Tis time for a new guitar to help me be more enthusiastic about learning.
Had a touch of cash come back from a share scheme from 2011 so gonna throw it at a a new guitar (rather than waste it on hookers and blackjack).

Thoughts on http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=13120713210758 please.

I'm subscribing to the "If you like it, you'll play it" theory, and it's certainly very pretty and it's gotta be better than the 20-odd year old, shonky, cheap guitar I was bought when I was 10 ish.

I was looking at an S520 on the same site, but it's £80 for a different type of bridge as far as I can tell and damned if I know what difference that makes.... :)
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey
:D

"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:19 pm

The 520 has the Ibanez floyd rose style system in where there's a spring coil underneath the bridge that keeps the strings in tune so you can use the tremolo bar to change the pitch of your notes. Depends on what kind of music you want to play really; personally I quite enjoy doing divebombs on a tremolo arm but I can't stand the floating floyd rose bridge systems because they are a pain in the arse to restring, so I rarely use my Ibanez model that has it. The other model you picked is just a regular bridge where you thread the strings straight through with no whammy bar.

Can't say much bad about the guitar itself, Ibanez S models are comfy to play, tend to be really light and are really easy to play fast shredding stuff on. The cheaper pickups and stuff like that probably aren't going to be the kind of thing you're going to notice when you're still only just really starting out on the instrument.

For the record, I've got an Ibanez S771PB which is a very similar build.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:37 pm

Cheers Mantis, unless anyone has owt to add, that's probably getting ordered tomorrow :D
eVoL wrote:Tichinde - Like the technical version of (a slightly geekier) the fonz.

Heeeeeeeey

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:29 pm

Seems a solid purchase, mate. I'd definitely go for the model sans tremelo as they are indeed a nightmare to restring.

Ibanez's lower range guitars are still nice quality for the price and having pickups changed, should you come to dislike the stock ones, is not without the realms of possibility.

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:17 pm

It's even sexier in person :)

Since I never got round to posting a shot the old one it's there too (on the left :P)

https://goo.gl/photos/GLubSVth5HguxsKP7

Can't wait to get to grips with it (conference call for work and then dinner first!)

Heeeeeeeey

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:23 pm

Wow, an Encore Strat. I can see why you didn't really enjoy yourself before. :P

Good luck on your axe endeavours.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:29 am

It's purty!

*Not the Encore...*

:)

Tichinde

Postby Tichinde » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:14 pm

Amazing how less frustrating it is playing a guitar that works :)
And learning with RockSmith is both cool and impressive.

Heeeeeeeey

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:37 pm

Anyone got any advice with regards to particular electro acoustic models that are worth a punt? There's so many models out there that it's impossible to really narrow down the choices. I'm fairly certain I'll be going for either a Fender, Ibanez or Faith branded model, but still not really sure on the specifics. Budget is up to £400 if anyone has any glowing recommendations. Otherwise I'll just go to the store next week and ask to try out about ten different ones.

Also, I just bought one of these because I'm a bit sick of Pod Farm and there seems to be a patch for basically everything I want:
Spoiler: show
I've learnt a lot since my GT-10 days so am pretty confident I can build some good tones with it.

Picked up a copy of EZ Drummer 2 too and have been having a blast making random grooves. The fact that you can let the software lay out a pattern for you based off your basic idea and then go into the MIDI roll to completely edit every individual note is so good.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:43 pm

Went ahead and bought an acoustic. Tried 4 different models out at the store and this one gripped me the second I started playing. Should have expected it really given that they're a dedicated acoustic brand and all the others I tried were either Fender or Epiphone models.

For the curious, threw together a quick tune with a patch on the hd500 to show how it sounds.
https://soundcloud.com/dave-kennedy-12/acoustic-demo

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:36 pm

Apologies for being too late to offer up any advice on acoustics, been pretty busy as of late. Glad that you found one that feels right for you, it sounded lovely in your demo.

I'd love new guitar, haven't bought one for about 5+ years.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:58 pm

Getting one of these on Wednesday :D

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:07 pm

Just bought this, should arrive on Monday.

Alm

Postby Alm » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:24 pm

Those are what I own. I think the bass might have been more of an impulse buy than something worthwhile. Might trade it in for another Ibanez.

Also worth pointing out I am still pretty rubbish after owning the top one for 15 years or so.

But it's a hobby.

I tried using Imgur to host the pics. Might have failed, will try to upload somewhere else if that's the case.

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature