Guitars with a side of guitar.

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Burberry Knight

Re: Guitars with a side of guitar.

Postby Burberry Knight » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:15 pm

Nice collection, man. I like the Les Paul in particular.

Alm

Postby Alm » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:07 pm

Cheers. The Les Paul looks and sounds the best but i like the neck and low action on the ibanez. If i could have a hybrid of the two that'd be pretty sweet.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:17 pm

How's that baritone working out for you, Burberry? It looks sweet. If I hadn't self imposed a ban on buying more instruments I'd snap up a PRS so quickly.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:58 pm

Aw man, I absolutely love it! I'm gonna be changing out the bridge P90 for a P90 style Dimarzio humbucker, just to add that extra bit of thickness to the overall tone. That picture really doesn't do it any justice.

I debuted it last week at a gig and it coupled really well with the EVH amp that I use for gigs. I'll still use the 7 string for some recording as the two sound nice together in a mix, as for live I'll likely use the PRS unless I require the high E string.

Very happy with my purchase, for £699 it feels like it was worth every penny.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:38 am

So I did a silly thing.... as usual.

Bought a GP10 on an ebay whim just to see what it would be like. Mainly the tunings.
Spoiler: show

Then it came and I looked at the pickup and thought "thats real ugly! Thats not going anywhere near my stuff."

Then I started looking at guitars with inbult GK3s and somehow ened up with a Variax 700

I really like the look and feel of it! Ok, its not really shying away from its "I wish I was a PRS" styling but acht, theres not much originality in guitars these days anyway, not since the Distortocaster ;)

Man, the arse of it doesnt half look dumb with all the ports :lol:

So yeah, the alternate tunings thing works real well, no discernible lag or audio tells. Down at -1 octave it starts to sound artificial (salvageable with some effects on it) but up at the open tunings/dropD/dropC etc.. it does the job well. The midi effects on the other hand can be real finicky because they seem to fire with light accidental string touching so you have to play real deliberate. Ive not delved too deep into settings so this might be fixable. Most are a bit of a novelty more than anything right enough but you can output midi over USB to a soft synth where things can get interesting. Seems quite a powerful little unit, its a pity its got the pedal setup it has.

Also a few of the acoustic models on the Variax are surprisingly good, better than I was expecting on tech nearing a decade old. Its a neat gadget/toy. Would I use it as a main..... maybe actually because it plays real well.

Need to have some proper time with everything, this is just a few hours fucking about.

Whims are costing me a lot of money lately :x
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:32 pm

Is the pedal polyphonic? My experiences of guitar midi have all generally been pretty awful. You can't usually do chords because they tend to only support one note at a time and if you play too fast the latency makes the notes jumble up anyway.

Always fun to get new toys though.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:00 pm

Tis, it's actually where it shines the most. Play a chord, his the sustain button then play lead over it. Don't know what the raw midi data is like out of it though, not gotten to that yet.

You can isolate and Bute strings on a match by patch basis too so that could eliminate bum notes. Especially since it seems to be the B and E the unwanted triggers hapoen.

http://youtu.be/37SQCAH4If8

Naturally that's over idealised but yeah, it's kind of cool!

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:21 pm

I made a guitar wall ^_^

Also sold my Boss GT-100 at a slight profit, going to get a cheap ME-80 to replace it with.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:17 pm

Nooooo, it's off centre!!!

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:22 pm

S'not! It's in perfect symmetry, I'm just missing one guitar off to the left I need to buy ¬_¬

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:55 pm

You have some beautiful guitars, Me. Yes you do.

Just ordered one of these:

My dark ambient dreams shall be fulfilled. Particularly listen from 21:00 onwards.

Previous

Return to Music and Literature