Finntroll - Blodsvept

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Edam

Finntroll - Blodsvept

Postby Edam » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:28 pm

If ever, EVER, an album needed to be described as "brütal" this is it. Music should not be allowed to be this good.

You know, I don't have the linguistic prowess to describe just how good this is. You may have heard Finntroll before (Trollhammeren did the rounds a few years back) but this album shows such an astounding level of musical maturity that you just wouldn't expect from a genre broadly described as folk metal. They've gone so far beyond a mere gimmick that it's now pure artistry. The implementation of harpiscords, brass, kazoos, banjos and deep gutteral vocals works so well and so seamlessly that you can only listen in awe.

Musically, they've cut down to basic balls-to-the wall riffage that works so well. Simplistic like AC/DC, with grooves like Metallica and at times hints of Slayer. Throw in a bit of 'Madness' and that sums up this album!

Vocally, Vreth is an instrument in himself carrying a great variety of melody with each syllable, despite being in Swedish (it sounds more 'trollish') being discernible and sing-along-able to. I'll let the music speak for itself and provide you these treats. Skogsdotter is nothing short of magnificent. Magnificent. If you only listen to one of those three, let it be Skogsdotter.

Enjoy. And BUY THIS ALBUM. These guys deserve the sales. The detail in the album is great, all artwork completed by the guitarist Skrymer. It's beautiful. Anyway, enough of me.....

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Re: Finntroll - Blodsvept

Postby Snowy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:22 am

Ooh, another Finntroll fan on PW, thought it was only me and Doug (read: me only since Doug's departure) :D

Huge fan here, and would also recommend the previous outing Nifelvind which is also right up there in terms of quality.

And Skogsdotter is the highlight of Blodsvept no doubt about it :D
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:58 am

They've never bettered Eliytres tbh. I want to ride into battle at Benny Hill speeds to that.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:25 pm

Nattfodd was a good album definitely, but for my money with the last two they have become less of a joke band and a lot more of a musical force in their own right.

EDIT: Yay, three Finntroll PW'ers!
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:57 pm

Ooh. This could be something I can enjoy. Must try more samples.

Edam

Postby Edam » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:38 pm

There's been a definite upward trend in quality over the last few albums.

Saw them live recently. It was awesome.

They were supported by an Icelandic band called Skamold who were pretty dsmn good. Just got their album 'Born Loka' which is great! Tyr also supported but they were lame.

Return to Music and Literature