What are you reading - 2014

For your aural and visual pleasure.
katarn

What are you reading - 2014

Postby katarn » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:46 am

Leading on from the old thread, I just finished The Terror by Dan Simmons, a fictional tale based on the real events of the Franklin expedition. It was excellent, and didn't think it dragged once in its 1000 pages. I was hooked all the way along.

Spoiler: show
I loved the slow dawning of what the thing was and what Crozier had to become. The evil Hickey's denouement was gripping.

About to start World War Z.
Last edited by katarn on Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quietman

Re: What are you reading - 2013

Postby Quietman » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:30 am

Lucky thing - I wish I could read it with completely fresh eyes :)
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

Jez

Postby Jez » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:32 am

really liked that terror book also kat. recommended for sure to anyone here.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:22 pm

Currently reading one of John Man's books on the Great Wall of China. As with all his books it is a very interesting and engaging read and if you like Chinese/Mongolian history you should check out any of his books. He is one of the few English writers that gives that part of the world its due. I find it awfully difficult to find good books on China and the Steppe area which are not just written in broad strokes and focus on the Communist past.

With all his books he has a great style that mixes history with travel as he visits the areas that he talks about in his books and describes what he sees there and the people he meets. So it is kind of a cross between a history book and a travel book. This means that he gives you a really good idea of what, in this case, the Great Wall looks like now and how it might have looked originally.

Previously I read Jon Ronson's Psychopath Test which was funny, informative and a little bit scary. I highly recommend it and like me, after you have finished, you will no doubt start spotting psychopaths everywhere.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Reading Zodiac Unmasked by Robert Graysmith. Anyone who has seen the zodiac film, this is the book that the main character in the film writes at the end. If you haven’t seen the film you should, it’s very good.

For anyone who hasn’t, zodiac was a serial killer around California in the late sixties and early seventies. Five confirmed victims, numerous others suspected. No suspect was ever charged and the investigation officially closed in 2004, but was re-opened in 2007. The book is based on the investigation and is primarily Robert Graysmith’s opinion. He was a cartoonist for one of the newspapers that the zodiac sent letters too.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:17 am

I'm currently working my way through a Lovecraft anthology on my Kindle. I've read a few of his more popular tales before, but I'm utterly gripped by his style of writing. There's just something about it that conjures up incredibly vivid images of the horrific things he hints at.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:18 am

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Previously I read Jon Ronson's Psychopath Test which was funny, informative and a little bit scary. I highly recommend it and like me, after you have finished, you will no doubt start spotting psychopaths everywhere.

Yeah, I read that a few months ago. Quite eye-opening, a lot of it, such as the physiological effects of stimuli on a psychopathic brain versus a normal one.
My face is tired.

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:51 pm

Keeping up the Far Eastern theme I have been reading Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World. It's the third book I have read about Genghis Khan and his family and it is interesting to get a bit more detail of the period. The previous books I have read are by Jon Mann and he spends a good portion of them talking about his travels through the area so doesn't have a as much space to go into details.
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

banapaulo

Postby banapaulo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:34 pm

The Sleeper Awakes by HG Wells. The one where an insomniac falls into a trance and wakes up 200 years into the future, where things are all cultish and slightly futuristic yet still oddly Victorian. Oh, and he predicts aeroplanes. I love The Time Machine and The Invisible Man but this one's a bit of a slog so far... wordy prose and science fiction don't go that well together for me.

Recently read The Wasp Factory by Ian Banks which is just about the most unique novel I can remember reading. Unique and seriously twisted. Infanticide, castration and dog burning feature heavily yet it's oddly affectionate. It's also simultaneously banal and gripping, which is quite a feat.
katarn wrote:Oh yeah! I agree with Banapaulo. 8)

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:33 am

banapaulo wrote:The Sleeper Awakes by HG Wells. The one where an insomniac falls into a trance and wakes up 200 years into the future, where things are all cultish and slightly futuristic yet still oddly Victorian. Oh, and he predicts aeroplanes. I love The Time Machine and The Invisible Man but this one's a bit of a slog so far... wordy prose and science fiction don't go that well together for me.

Ha, reminds me a bit of my wife, who the other night was browsing for books on her Kindle, and asked "have you read War of the Worlds?" (she loves the Tom Cruise film). "Ye-es," I replied, hesitantly. "You might not like it all that much, it's a bit hard going at times." She snorted, "I don't mind classic novels, I've got an English Lit degree!"

Last few nights have been serenaded by groans from across the room "oh god, he's going on about Bushey Park again... now he's in Chobham again... what's he wittering on about now?... this is nothing like the film."

Curiously my "I told you so's" have so far elicited nothing but glares.
My face is tired.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:00 pm

Heart of Darkness

Stood the test of time quite well, even when I was reading it in work it gave a definite sense of claustrophobia and alienation that most books don't manage. Fairly simply written as well, though it was nearly the turn of the century I suppose.

Consider Phlebas

First Banks book I'd read in years, and the only one in the Culture series despite the first six being sat on my bookshelf for about two years. Really good characters, fleshed out world without getting all Tolkien and massive set pieces. Think I'll be wolfing down the rest before long.

Kick Ass 2

Downloaded and read the first as well in the one night, this didn't sit all that well, and it doesn't bode well for the film I think if they stick too closely to it. The main problem is that the characters just aren't fleshed out enough, particularly the main villain who seems to revel in doing far sicker things than you'd expect. If it was a brand new character they'd have gotten away with it but the jump here is from geeky villain fighting Kick Ass to shooting kids and butchering dogs. The humour was gone, and if there was a message behind it it's not getting through.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Tue May 14, 2013 8:36 am

Just finished Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

Great book, set in a dystopian future ~40 years from now. The global energy crisis has brought the worlds civilisation to a crawl, unemployment is the lot of the majority, and the real world so grim that most people live in a virtual reality world called OASIS. The maker of the OASIS dies, and leaves a message that his vast $200bn fortune will go to whoever finds the easter egg he has left in the OASIS somewhere, but they will have to work it out. He is obsessed with 80's pop culture, vintage videogames etc, and so begins the hunt for the easter egg.

The story is kinda Charlie & the Chocolate Factory meets The Matrix, will masses of references that anyone of my generation will just eat up (I am 42). While reading the book I had several "Oh yes, I remember that!" moments when a particular game or TV show got a mention.

Added to that, it is a really good book, a story any gamer worth their salt will enjoy immensely.

Highly recommended
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

Animalmother

Postby Animalmother » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:40 pm

Reading Metro 2033 at the mo. Good if a little on the slow side, the game certainty has taken some liberties with the story ¬_¬ Occasionally the dialogue between the characters gets a little tedious and I've been tempted in places to skip a few pages, but have resisted so far.

Pew-Pew

Postby Pew-Pew » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:12 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
banapaulo wrote:The Sleeper Awakes by HG Wells. The one where an insomniac falls into a trance and wakes up 200 years into the future, where things are all cultish and slightly futuristic yet still oddly Victorian. Oh, and he predicts aeroplanes. I love The Time Machine and The Invisible Man but this one's a bit of a slog so far... wordy prose and science fiction don't go that well together for me.

Ha, reminds me a bit of my wife, who the other night was browsing for books on her Kindle, and asked "have you read War of the Worlds?" (she loves the Tom Cruise film). "Ye-es," I replied, hesitantly. "You might not like it all that much, it's a bit hard going at times." She snorted, "I don't mind classic novels, I've got an English Lit degree!"

Last few nights have been serenaded by groans from across the room "oh god, he's going on about Bushey Park again... now he's in Chobham again... what's he wittering on about now?... this is nothing like the film."

I love the WotW book. :(
Prey wrote: plus i rally want to jukmp on my wife but she ssleep.

i might ha ve to giver her a moo o rtwo

-_-

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:40 pm

Pew-Pew wrote:
Sly Boots wrote:

I love the WotW book. :(

I did too, I just knew that someone who was expecting it to be like the Tom Cruise film would likely be disappointed :)
My face is tired.

Next

Return to Music and Literature