What are you reading - 2014

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Solidarity Reg

Re: What are you reading - 2013

Postby Solidarity Reg » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:35 am

Just finished all of A Song of Ice and Fire, and used an evening up to fully read The Psychopath Test.

All brilliant.

gpa-gone-west

Postby gpa-gone-west » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:26 pm

Fancied something different so I am reading the first Jack Reacher book, Killing Floor. Prior to that I read The Playboy and the Rat by Roy Calley, the story of Niki Lauda and James Hunt, brought on after watching Rush.
Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm"

The warrior whispers back "I am the storm"

Eny

Postby Eny » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:56 pm

The Life of Hon. William F. Cody Known as Buffalo Bill the Famous Hunter Scout and Guide - an Autobiography

Fascinating, what a life and in what a time.

Also, Ray Mears: My Outdoor Life, another good read. I am going to see him next month at the local theatre.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln

˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Heed

Postby Heed » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:53 am

I've just finished Al Jourgenson's autobiography. He is the driving force behind the band Ministry. It was an eye opening read, looking for something new to try now. Morrissey's autobiography is out in a few weeks, that should be a good read.
Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy. Spilling Out Of My Head

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:22 pm

Papillon

Story of a man (apparently) wrongfully sentenced for murder and sent to a penal colony in French Guiana. Meant to be a memoir but better considered a novel. At times the dialogue is a little bit stilted but I'd put it down largely to something being lost in the translation from the original French. Nice tale of overcoming the odds and reminding you that there are worse places you could be.

A Game of Thrones

Bought all seven books as a boxset from Amazon, had been wanting to get it for a while but the size and massive cast slightly put me off. About 80 pages into the first book now, builds a world really well, and the already large cast of characters are nicely differentiated from one another. Definitely stick with it methinks.

As a side note, how far into the books has the Game of Thrones show gotten?

Pew-Pew

Postby Pew-Pew » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:05 pm

The TV show has got to the end of the book 3, part 2 (Storm of Swords).

I just finished The Kraken Wakes by John Wyndham. It's a classic HG Wells style bit of sci-fi told from the perspective of a writer for radio shows and his wife back in the 50s/60s as they witness the world get attacked by creatures from the deeps (that may be aliens). Awesome stuff. It's the same guy that wrote The Day of the Triffids if the name doesn't ring a bell. I'm now reading another novel by him called The Midwich Cuckoos about a sleepy village that gets knocked out and impregnated with weird superior alien/human babies.
Prey wrote: plus i rally want to jukmp on my wife but she ssleep.

i might ha ve to giver her a moo o rtwo

-_-

Jez

Postby Jez » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:40 pm

JohnyHumf wrote:
A Game of Thrones

Bought all seven books as a boxset from Amazon, had been wanting to get it for a while but the size and massive cast slightly put me off. About 80 pages into the first book now, builds a world really well, and the already large cast of characters are nicely differentiated from one another. Definitely stick with it methinks.

As a side note, how far into the books has the Game of Thrones show gotten?

Cant go wrong with this purchase, some of the best reading ive ever gotten through.

The show isnt quite in sync with the books the last season had elements of several books in it. I think it might be tipping on the halfway point of the books as they stand now with more to be written.

deetz

Postby deetz » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:53 pm

Finished Blood and Bone by Ian C Esslemont recently. I absolutely love all thes Malazan books. Even the relatively poorly written ones like this are still good fun.

My girlfriend bought me Strange Pilgrims by Gabriel Garcia Marquez as a gift as he is her favourite author and being Colombian she wants to talk up a national hero. Its not a book I'd have gone for. Usually I'm very much a sci-fi/fantasy/history/politics and sometimes detective/thriller reader but I'm glad she gave this to me. Completely different to anything I've ever read.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:15 pm

Picked up Volume 1 of Sandman the other day, just finished reading it. Fell in love with it very quickly and can see why it's so highly spoken of.
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

deetz

Postby deetz » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:05 pm

It is excellent. If you enjoy the whole series then you might also enjoy Lucifer.

Quietman

Postby Quietman » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:22 pm

Ooh nice, I'll give it a look. Cheers!
IMO :P :wink: :P :wink: :P :wink:
Dean Learner: I said the fuck you don't do wet wipes.

Oranje Head
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2lS22 ... qTMqfvJ4xQ
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/oranjehead

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:01 pm

So I finished A Game of Thrones, first book in a long time that I just couldn't put down. Love Tyrion, love the world that seems to just come naturally without names etc being forced, and I love that the magical stuff has largely taken a backseat to the scheming. Was going to make a start on the next book straight away but figured I'd pace myself, too much of a good thing and all that. But I didn't want to wait too long, so I made a start on:

The Mezzanine

140 pages long, it follows a man on his lunch break and all the things he thinks about. That's it. I kinda like but kinda don't. It's pretty much a whole book of minutiae, and while some of it is funny in it's own way and somehow manages to list a whole load of things that you'll have thought about but never bother to mention to anyone, other parts just drag on and on and on. About ten pages to go, doubt I'll ever read it again, feels too much like assigned reading for a literature course.

Sly Boots
MILF

Postby Sly Boots » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:31 am

JohnyHumf wrote:So I finished A Game of Thrones, first book in a long time that I just couldn't put down. Love Tyrion, love the world that seems to just come naturally without names etc being forced, and I love that the magical stuff has largely taken a backseat to the scheming. Was going to make a start on the next book straight away but figured I'd pace myself, too much of a good thing and all that. But I didn't want to wait too long, so I made a start on:

I found the whole series almost literally unputdownable once I started, read all seven volumes within a few weeks (it helped that I had a couple of long train journeys in that time that meant getting through half a book at a time). Apart from A Feast for Crows which I found dragged a bit as none of my favourite characters appeared in it.

I get the sense that the TV series will avoid that by mixing up events from books 3, 4 and 5 so they appear in more chronological order (events in books 4 and 5 happen mostly concurrently), so I don't think series 4 will = book 4, series 5 = book 5, vol 1 etc.
My face is tired.

katarn

Postby katarn » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:46 pm

Recently finished The Hundred Days and Blue at the Mizzen by O'Brian (last two of the Master & Commander series). Probably the best book series I've ever read, it's just so well-written - so authentic. Serves as an incredible glimpse into history as much as being great fiction.

Currently reading Gardens of the Moon. Gonna try and tackle this Malazan series. Couple of hundred pages in, not sure if dialogue/character motivation is Eriksen's strong point (compared to someone like G Martin in the fantasy genre) but his storytelling is very good.

Snowy
Metal as Fuck

Postby Snowy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:00 pm

Just finished the first titanic volume of The Walking Dead compendium, and read half the second, but needed a break from enormous heavy books.

So, am reading Dune, which I have not read since I was a wee'un. And loving it :)

Also, anyone wanting a good read should pick up Scarecrow by Matthew Pritchard. Bit of a plug really - he is a newly published author, and also my best mate - properly published though, not some self-pub rubbish - the book is a crime thriller and is genuinely worth your time.

So do a poor-as-a-church-mouse author a favour and buy it. I can get anyone's copy signed if they like.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature