Amateur music thread.

For your aural and visual pleasure.
eVoL

Re: Amateur music thread.

Postby eVoL » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:48 pm

:lol:

You know I can safely say its the most fun Ive had writing and recording something in aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggges. I kept amazing myself and my lyrical genius. I'm taking it to Dragons Den ¬_¬ "this is a masterpiece, ok im ready to buy tickets.. when will you be preforming this Live?" One soundcloud user cant be wrong dragons!
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Adalaar
Augmented

Postby Adalaar » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:11 pm

Burberry Knight wrote:Is that a good or bad thing? Any particular song(s)? Can't say I know more than 2 massive attack songs.

Also, evol... :lol:

Good. Sounds a lot like teardrop specially in the beginning.
cHeal wrote: I don't care one way or another whether GamerGate is all white or all black migrant transgender midget. .

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:58 am

My wife's latest EP All The Stars can be purchased for the totally reasonable price of just £2.49. It is even available on Amazon if you don't like itunes. You can also check out both her latest EPs on Spotify.

itunes link
Amazon link
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Adalaar
Augmented

Postby Adalaar » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Bought. The title song is fucking brilliant and the cover is the icing on the cake.
cHeal wrote: I don't care one way or another whether GamerGate is all white or all black migrant transgender midget. .

DjchunKfunK

Postby DjchunKfunK » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:37 am

Thanks, my wife will love your comments. :)
Check out my new gaming blog Player State. Updated every Wednesday.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:08 pm

I prefer stuff with more emphasis on instruments so it's not really my kind of music, but she has a lovely voice.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue May 07, 2013 7:27 pm

Right, not fussed about putting this in a new thread so I'll just post it up in here for fellow music aficionados.

Any one of you chaps know much about good acoustic guitars? I've been playing electric for about 7 years now and also picked up a cheap second hand copy model acoustic a couple of years ago for £30, but it's agonising to play. The action is so high, there's no truss rod and the neck is ludicrously wide, as much as I enjoy playing it the damn thing tears my fingers to shreds after twenty minutes of strumming. So basically I'm looking for a nice model at a good price to properly kick start my acoustic playing. I don't want to go mad, it'll only be used at home and for the odd bit of recording, so somewhere in the range of £250 to £300 would be nice I reckon.

The thing is, I know bugger all about acoustic manufacturers aside from the obvious Fender/Gibson lark. I've heard Vintage are alright. Does anyone own multiple acoustics or just generally have a particular model that they really love? I want to do a bit of research and see if any of the local music stores have any in stock before taking the plunge. Doesn't matter too much if it's regular or electro/acoustic, but I'd really prefer if it had a cutaway body, I can't stand not being able to reach beyond the thirteenth fret on my current model.

This Fender caught my eye in town yesterday:

I love how it has the iconic electric Fender headstock, and apparently the neck is only marginally bigger than your typical electric, so it'd be naturally comfortable in my hands. Obviously need to test it out first to make sure the design doesn't ruin the tonality of it. Only £300 though, which is lovely.

So, more ideas for things to look into? Cheers.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Thu May 09, 2013 4:47 pm

That Fender looks nice.

I've got a Takamine which is fantastic, although it is one of the higher priced models. I have heard that they do really good middle range priced guitars, but I have never played any of those personally.

I've tried out a Sigma, Seagull and lower range Taylor before. All of those were great guitars ranging between £250 -£450.

Really, it comes down to trying out what feels and sounds good. You have the right idea by looking at action and neck widths etc. Action is much more difficult to adjust on an acoustic than it is an electric because you need to use a file rather than just being able to screw the bridge up or down. I wouldn't recommend trying it yourself unless you were confident with that kinda stuff.

So, basically, action is paramount! :o

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu May 09, 2013 4:55 pm

I utterly love Ibanez EW series, I have 3 of them! My fav is the 20WNE which is so much more beautiful in real life than in pics. Looks and plays wonderfully, definitely worth a shot if your local stores have them.... but yeah, always comes to what feels right for you.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu May 09, 2013 5:07 pm

Cheers for the ideas chaps, never heard of any of the brands Burberry has mentioned so I'll look into them and have a browse around town again to see if any of them are in stores. We've only got a Music Room and two little independent stores in Notts though so the choice isn't amazing.

That Ibanez looks beautiful. 3 of my electrics are Ibanez, but I'd never have guessed they were competent at making acoustics given how they're typically a company that focuses on the heavy rock and metal styles.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu May 09, 2013 5:48 pm

Any tips for new players? Just started on a cheap electric this week, struggling with cords consistency, my fingers keep hitting adjacent strings ¬_¬ Only just got it in tune yesterday too.

Wolfy
Oooh! :O

Postby Wolfy » Thu May 09, 2013 5:58 pm

I've only just seen eVoL posted the DooM musical! I am a little in love.
マイカル ウルフ
MAIKARU WORUFU

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu May 09, 2013 7:05 pm

Me wrote:Any tips for new players? Just started on a cheap electric this week, struggling with cords consistency, my fingers keep hitting adjacent strings ¬_¬ Only just got it in tune yesterday too.

Best tip I can think of for an absolute newbie and which also will apply for the entire of your guitar playing life; practice everything really slow. People tend to sound inaccurate and messy because they try and play too fast, too soon. Play everything so it sounds perfect at the slowest possible speed and gradually work up to standard tempo as you get more comfortable.

Stick with your open chords and learn the major scale whilst you're still getting to grips with basic technique.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Thu May 09, 2013 10:28 pm

eVoL wrote:I utterly love Ibanez EW series, I have 3 of them! My fav is the 20WNE which is so much more beautiful in real life than in pics. Looks and plays wonderfully, definitely worth a shot if your local stores have them.... but yeah, always comes to what feels right for you.

That is a nice guitar, evol. I forgot that Ibanez do decent acoustic guitars.

Just managed to find mine online only to find that it is now a discontinued model - I have had mine for 9 years or so, though. This bad boy: http://www.takamine.com/archive/acoustic_electric/ef508c

banapaulo

Postby banapaulo » Fri May 10, 2013 2:01 am

Mantis wrote:
Me wrote:Any tips for new players? Just started on a cheap electric this week, struggling with cords consistency, my fingers keep hitting adjacent strings ¬_¬ Only just got it in tune yesterday too.

Best tip I can think of for an absolute newbie and which also will apply for the entire of your guitar playing life; practice everything really slow. People tend to sound inaccurate and messy because they try and play too fast, too soon. Play everything so it sounds perfect at the slowest possible speed and gradually work up to standard tempo as you get more comfortable.

Stick with your open chords and learn the major scale whilst you're still getting to grips with basic technique.

Hear hear. Slow is the way to go. Which I'm painfully learning now after playing many years. Use a metronome. Also, RELAX. Sit comfortably, don't slouch, and use the minimum of effort in positioning your hand and touching the strings. Your muscles will remember everything you do wrong as well as right, so go easy on them. Learning guitar is hard but shouldn't be a chore.

And tune your guitar often; you'll enjoy practising more if it sounds in tune and your ears will will develop better.
katarn wrote:Oh yeah! I agree with Banapaulo. 8)

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature