Amateur music thread.

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Burberry Knight

Re: Amateur music thread.

Postby Burberry Knight » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:00 pm

Only had a chance to listen to the first 4 tracks, evol, but what I heard was cool. Bonkers as I suspected.

Aye, that pedal is a thing of dreams, Mantis. I'd love one.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:00 pm

I admire your fortitude ;)
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:34 pm

I'll get through the rest when I next have the time. I can't leave the story is unresolved!

Scrappy

Postby Scrappy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:00 pm

Been playing bass for just over a month now and progressing quite well. Got Hysteria by Muse nailed down. Been exploring more music to play along with and found that I actually really fucking love Blues. Never even bothered with it before but some of bands are freaking amazing and have some great bass lines to boot. My favourite so far is Bright Lights by Gary Clarke Jr which I have played so much I'm sure my frets are wearing down around the 5th fret.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:06 pm

So, it's been a bit radio silence from me as of late, but I've been really busy with the band - amongst other things - and I'm happy to say that we now have a bassist. Vocals are still being left by the wayside for now, not sure if one of us will make a sorry attempt or if we'll look for someone else.

There are a number of tunes in the works, some of which are by the other guitarist, Mike, so it's nice to have someone else handling some of the writing. The tunes inevitably change here and there when we start practicing them, but I like this method of bringing an almost complete song to the table, not to say that we don't have some damn cool impromptu jams.

Anyway, here's a link to one of the tracks (daft working title included) that Mike has been working on recently and I'll have one that I've almost finished up within a few days.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Tunes/De ... RXvGaX2NEQ

Thanks for listening to this shit and all of the feedback that comes with it. Top blokes.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:25 pm

Ebow on a Bass with heavy echo/delay. Best. Sound. Ever.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ulyeht4y8a40d ... s.ogg?dl=0

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:08 pm

Sounds a bit like some classy 80s synth from Vangelis or something. I'm definitely going to get an ebow before I sink anymore money into any other gear. A Strymon Big Sky is pretty high up on my list too.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:58 pm

I can't recommend Ebows enough, truly great little bit of kit.

Any Strymon gear will cost you a pretty penny! I have heard that their stuff is really good, though.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:11 pm

I left my eBow in the practice studios 2 weeks after getting it. It vanished without a trace :(

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:47 pm

Burberry Knight wrote:Any Strymon gear will cost you a pretty penny! I have heard that their stuff is really good, though.

The Big Sky is about 350-400 quid or so. Totally worth it though, it's like the reverb pedal dreams are made of. I could sit and make soundscapes with it for hours.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:44 pm

Myself and the drummer had a random jam (with a bit of a post rock vibe) during our last practice as the other members couldn't make it that night. It's obviously rough around the edges, but it was entirely unrehearsed jam that stemmed from a drum beat that he had been showing me. A number of pretty cool sounding happy accidents throughout haha.

I wasn't sure if I was gonna post it up as it is just some gopro footage of questionable quality.

Hope that you enjoy it.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:36 pm

https://soundcloud.com/marc-careys-musi ... demo-mix-2

A new demo track that I made for the band. It is incredibly rough and currently has no proper title.

It's a heavy one. Enjoy.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:40 pm

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone have any recommendations when it comes to VSTs or software synths?

I'm sort of shooting after a style that sounds like it'd be right at home on a classic 16-bit game, but all I've really seen available is software that emphasises getting a sound for house music or dubstep.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:32 pm

Tried Sunvox? It's free on PC and is a cracking synth engine for playing around with. I've only used the ipad version but I think it's the same on PC, well worth a quick look. You create new sounds like you're creating a cuircuit for the audio to travel round.

Also if iPads an option, I really love korg gadget, though it is £30 (which seems a ridiculous caveat for what you get in it).

Reason? :p

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:48 pm

I'm using Reason Limited at the moment but am going to have to drop some cash soon and I was considering a new DAW. Reason Limited is restricted to only 8 tracks per file which is really starting to get in the way. Some of the synths on the built in 'Subtractor' aren't actually too bad though.

I'll have a look at this Sunvox. Can you import MIDI files into it to play around with? I've got a ton of stuff already written up that I could do with just dropping in and giving a go.

I've got an iPad but just the thought of trying to use it to record music on gives me a migraine. :P

Edit: Sunvox seems to be almost exactly what I'm after, cheers dude. Time to download and try to figure it all out.

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature