Amateur music thread.

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Burberry Knight

Amateur music thread.

Postby Burberry Knight » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:55 pm

So, a friend of mine has been helping me record music recently as I'm pretty hopeless at it. I figured I'd post the demo here and, in the process, make a thread for folk to add their musical endeavours.

Anyway, it's a pretty heavy song, more for the metal fans of the forum. It isn't quite finished, but I'm impatient.

Enjoy.

http://m.soundcloud.com/marc-careys-music/demo-1

Mantis
Admin

Re: Amateur music thread.

Postby Mantis » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:09 pm

Not sure how many people on this forum are musically inclined towards instruments. I'd just about settled on what interface and mic to buy before I ran out of cash and now I'm too skint. It's impossible to layer song ideas down onto each other without any decent equipment.

How did you record? It's sounding pretty good to say it's not finished mixing yet.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:34 pm

I thought a few folk on here were quite into making some music, though I'm not really sure why, come to think of it.

We used Protools, Amplitube for the different guitar tones and Reason to program the drums. I was plugged into an Mbox (I think), then into PC.

I think my mate just wants to muck about with levels etc. All I still need to do is record some bass for the intro and then we'll program a few drum fills in to make it sound more like a drummer and less like a drum program.

Edit: Oh, and thanks haha.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:46 pm

Sounds good. The one thing that stands out for me is the drums need a remix and maybe some filters them because they are too clean sounding next to everything else. Muddy them up a bit and they'll sit better in the mix with everything.
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:11 pm

Aye, that's a fair point. It's the lack of fills in certain points that hit me the most. There will definately be a bit more work on it before we record anymore - I've got bloody loads I wanna get through.

Do you dabble with recording yourself, eVoL?

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:26 pm

Yeah, I have an ok little setup. I use Cubase, have done since my Atari ST days, never got on with Protools (thankfully because Digidesign are assholes :p ). Audio input is through a Delta 1010. A little Reason and a little GuitarRig but I prefer hardware synths and effects because I'm stuck in the past..... and because they're better ¬_¬
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:37 pm

Another one of my mates swears by cubase. I just leave the tech stuff to my mate, tbh. I just wanted to start solidifying material I've had floating around into actual songs.

You should post some stuff here.

JohnyHumf

Postby JohnyHumf » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:44 am

I used to write lyrics and make music on my PC years ago, but haven't done it in forever and a day.

Prey
Admin

Postby Prey » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:08 pm

As everyone knows I spent two years working on a self titled album that a few here bought with real monies. The following is the only thing I currently have online to actually show from that album entitled Darkness and Light: Part One...

Whether or not I ever make Part Two of that I have no idea right now. I'd certainly like to.

JasonHimm

Postby JasonHimm » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:57 pm

I'm in.
http://soundcloud.com/jhimm

At work right now but I will definitely look more into this thread tonight.

Rossell

Postby Rossell » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:34 pm

When I'm in a more settled place in my life, I'd definitely like to learn an instrument and contribute. I know I asked around a while back about guitars and everything, but just haven't got round to it. To the future!

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:36 pm

JasonHimm wrote:I'm in.
http://soundcloud.com/jhimm

At work right now but I will definitely look more into this thread tonight.

Do you just make these at home and stick them on the cloud or do you do something more with it, like live or in a band? Because you've got some pretty cool songwriting talent there.

JasonHimm

Postby JasonHimm » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Thanks Mantis. This is just me at home. I used to do the band thing but as I've grown older I seem to lack the patience, time, energy, etc. The word 'hobby' is a bad word among musicians but that's pretty much what it boils down to these days.

cHeal

Postby cHeal » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:29 pm

Burberry Knight wrote:So, a friend of mine has been helping me record music recently as I'm pretty hopeless at it. I figured I'd post the demo here and, in the process, make a thread for folk to add their musical endeavours.

Anyway, it's a pretty heavy song, more for the metal fans of the forum. It isn't quite finished, but I'm impatient.

Enjoy.

http://m.soundcloud.com/marc-careys-music/demo-1

No music expert but instrumentals and prog rock is very much my scene and I really like it. Needs more ummmph though. Like a crescendo though. It's all mostly the same, a bit flat but I still enjoyed it greatly!

Great Irish prog rock band, Adebisi Shank:

This is quite electronic-y but earlier stuff was just instrumentals I think. If it's the kinda thing you're into, they're pretty great at it and it might put in context what I mean about the crescendo thing. The song builds into a higher tempo and louder arrangement before ending.

Absolutely love this song and had the pleasure of hearing it performed live.

Another Irish band in this vein is "And So I Watch You From Afar" who don't quite tickle me the way Adebisi Shank do but other people prefer them. I recommend "Set Guitars to Kill". Also seen them live but I was very drunk and don't remember them at all LOL.

Anyways keep it up, tis good.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:56 pm

Thanks alot, bud. I agree with adding a crescendo, possibly leading into the outro riff. I did feel that it falls a bit flat there - it's got chunk, but needs something else in the background. Although it is, for now, an instrumental, the song was written with the intention of vocals being added at some point. As I've said, some more work will be done on it in the near future.

I'll check out that band you posted as I do like me some prog.

Prey, I liked your song: it had a chillout vibe to it.

Jason, I liked the song you posted up as well. The only thing that I didn't like about it was the male vocal section - just not my cup of tea. If that was you, the I apologise...

Next

Return to Music and Literature