Amateur music thread.

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Me
He's so not aard

Re: Amateur music thread.

Postby Me » Fri May 10, 2013 11:40 pm

I'm struggling a fair bit with my fret hand, I was keeping my thumb almost parallel along the neck which was causing the bottom of my fingers/hand to catch the e string alot, muting it. Tried bringing my thumb properly behind the neck, with the thumbs tip roughly inline with my finger tips but I' finding that quite uncomfortable to hold.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sat May 11, 2013 10:59 am

That's not so much a problem, generally just put your thumb wherever it's most comfortable for what you're playing. It certainly doesn't need to be directly in line with your fingers when you put it behind the neck. I tend to shift positioning depending on what I'm playing, but typically it rests just off centre towards the low E for chordy stuff.

Just make sure that you're not exerting too much pressure and using your thumb to press into the back of the neck to play stuff. You should be able to hold down notes through the strength of your other fingers on their own, not because you're squeezing the neck with your thumb. Otherwise you're too tense and you'll slow your playing down loads, particularly when you try learning barre chords.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Sat May 11, 2013 8:39 pm

It's the lower E (the one at the top ¬_¬) that I struggle to hit right in a cord, my hand wraps around the bottom to reach it and I end up muting the high E (the one at the bottom ¬_¬). Been practising a few finger exercises where you work along all the frets and I'm getting a lot better at placing my fingers. I can play all the CAGE cords alright ish except for muting the bottom string on occasion.

Power cords are rock hard though, I can't reach between three frets with my 1st and 3rd fingers yet.

banapaulo

Postby banapaulo » Sat May 11, 2013 11:11 pm

I'm gonna say it again: do everything slow, being very aware of any tension in your whole body - try to minimise that. Practise in short concentrated spurts - if you get something right enough times then leave it for a bit rather than being tempted to keep playing, that way your muscles will remember it for next time. Try to seperate practise time and playing time if possible; until you have a solid technique practise is everything.

Left hand thumb position is a tricky one. If you're practising scales (which I wouldn't yet, but do some finger independence exercises instead), then you want your thumb behind the neck around the middle point, adjusting it as necessary. For open chords it is sometimes necessary to bring your thumb towards the top a little bit more, but try not to grasp the guitar like a baseball bat. Positioning should be very relaxed and supportive, allowing your fingers to breathe and to move about with minimum effort.

If I sound fastiduous it's only 'cause I've been playing 9 years and am only just learning this stuff :P. Wish I'd been taught how to practise properly from the start.
katarn wrote:Oh yeah! I agree with Banapaulo. 8)

Pew-Pew

Postby Pew-Pew » Sun May 12, 2013 12:07 am

If you're having trouble playing those power chords, it's almost certainly your thumb position - get it on the back of the neck pointing up towards the headstock for those. Doing this will also make muting the rest of the strings that you aren't playing easier too (muting with your fretting hand I mean). Wrapping your thumb round the neck can make normal open chords a bit easier though. Having a go on my guitar now, I can do low power chords with the thumb wrapped around the neck too, but it's harder and I've been playing bass for almost 6 years so I can probably stretch my fingers a bit more.
Prey wrote: plus i rally want to jukmp on my wife but she ssleep.

i might ha ve to giver her a moo o rtwo

-_-

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Sun May 12, 2013 10:35 am

Wait, you're trying to play chords by fretting the thick E with your thumb wrapped all the way around the neck? Don't do that. It's an advanced technique used by the likes of Hendrix, John Frusciante and a few jazz players, I think you'd be better off just playing with normal thumb positioning for now. You don't even need to use your thumb to mute the low E because you can use the tip of your index finger, your right palm, or both.

Are you playing electric? Because one thing you need to get down early is muting. When you play you need to make sure that only the notes you actually want are making a sound. My lead playing sounded like sloppy shit for years and years because I didn't learn how to mute properly. It's pretty paramount.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Sun May 12, 2013 12:46 pm

Thanks for the tip guys. I'll try a few more thumb positions and see if that helps my reach.

Mantis, I'm touching the thin E with my hand while stretching for the top two strings, I was hoping a different thumb position might move my hand further away from the bottom.

JasonHimm

Postby JasonHimm » Tue May 14, 2013 2:55 am

Cover of the Gary Numan song Complex

https://soundcloud.com/jhimm/complex-gary-numan-cover

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Tue May 14, 2013 8:54 am

I really liked that other one that you put up recently, Empty I think it was called. There was a very tasteful bit of lead guitar towards the end.

JasonHimm

Postby JasonHimm » Tue May 14, 2013 12:58 pm

Thanks

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Wed May 15, 2013 10:43 pm

I've started going through the lessons on http://www.justinguitar.com/ which is pretty awesome. Changed the way I hold my pick (was using thumb and 2 fingers) and I've learned you barely have to press the string on the frets to get the right one, so I'm pressing down alot softer now. ^_^ I'm probably helped myself since I've been doing alternating picking right from the off too.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Fri May 17, 2013 10:29 pm

Getting better at the E, C, D cords now, learning how soft you can press a string made a big difference. I can hold my palm alot further away without it straining my muscles anymore. Currently trying to get my cord changes upto speed.

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Thu May 23, 2013 12:03 pm

I'm turning this into a learning guitar thread at the minute ¬_¬ If any feels I'm de-railing it just say and I'll make a new thread.

Got my D-A change upto 60 changes a minute ^_^, they're a bit sloppy but Justinguitar recommends you get the changes up to speed then you can practise on rhythm and things comfortably. D-E and A-E take get about 35-45 at the mo so need to practise them a bit more before I start trying a few songs. Also playing the 1st minor pentatonic scale to break it up a little and doing that alright, not quite perfect on each run through and it's still slow. Spent saturday drinking Jack Daniels and wildly strumming away listening to some Heavy Metal ^_^

My cousin came round with his acustic, his cord changes are so smooth and easy, he can just start strumming any song he wants to at will. I think it may take me a while to get to that stage, i've only been going for about 2 and a half weeks ¬_¬

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Thu May 23, 2013 6:19 pm

Seeing how many chord changes you can do in a minute sounds like the most tedious thing ever. My practice regime is far more rock and roll. -_-

Me
He's so not aard

Postby Me » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:40 pm

Well, he recommends you do that so you can change cords without it affecting your strumming rhythm when you start getting into that, apparently he finds it makes people get upto speed on the cord changes quicker. There's a later lesson on forced changes where he says that no matter what you do you never stop strumming, even if you fuck up a cord slightly, you just correct it before the Bar finishes. He thinks its very important that when you start learning to strum properly you never stop and start as you change cords.

On a side note, I finally managed to play a Barre ^_^ Jumped ahead about 50 lessons for a quick look since I'd tried doing it myself and got no where and I managed to play an E on the first go after watching ^_^

Currently got the E D A and Emin Dmin and Amin down fine, not upto speed on those changes yet but I can play them without an issue.

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature