Amateur music thread.

For your aural and visual pleasure.
Burberry Knight

Re: Amateur music thread.

Postby Burberry Knight » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:05 pm

Mantis wrote:Inspired riffing, that's a pretty decent tone you've got going too. It sounds pretty djenty. I like it.

Currently have no means of recording my own guitar playing, which is a bummer because it's my main instrument. But I have been dicking around with Acoustica Mixcraft and its array of samples and virtual instruments just to vent some creativity. Playing MIDI files using the QWERTY keys for notes is pretty sterile but if you combine stuff together right it doesn't sound too bad.

Had a quick go with Reason too but very quickly gave up when confronted with what can only be described as the most unfriendly interface I've ever seen in my life.

Thanks, bud. It's about a minute or so into the actual song, but my friend and myself really liked the way that bit took shape, hence the clip.

I can't really comment on Reason all that much as my friend programs it all in; I only help out with deciding the style of drum beats etc.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:30 pm

banapaulo wrote:I write mostly instrumental acoustic folk... kind of relaxing, melancholy stuff and do fingerpicking arrangements of songs I like. I'm pretty sloppy in terms of technique and rhythm though (annoyingly), so it takes me ages to do good recordings. There's some rough samples here if anyone wants to listen:

http://www.bandmix.co.uk/banapaulo1/ (might need turning up a bit to hear properly)

Prey: I've still got your Darkness & Light CD, really good stuff.

EDIT: JasonHimm, that song Empty is brilliant. Just the sort of thing I love to lose myself in with headphones.

Finally managed to check this bandmix site out seeing as I'm not on a phone:

I really like your stuff, bana. I too love me some acoustic folky stuff; I went to see Andy McKee and Jon Gomm earlier in the year and it was phenomenal. Everyone should check them out if they haven't heard of them.

I don't really have any means of getting half decent acoustic recordings or else I'd post up some fingerstyle pieces.

Also, my recording pal is away to Italy for 6 months, so there won't be much musical contributions from me for a while :( .

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:45 pm

http://m.soundcloud.com/marc-careys-mus ... bpick-tune

So, I tried out the recording function from the Soundcloud app, turns out it isn't all that bad. No editing function, though. Definately rough around the edges, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

Also, one-take recordings are not fun.

JasonHimm

Postby JasonHimm » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:22 am

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:39 pm

I like it. Particularly the way you record your vocals.

Nice lyrics too. Writing lyrics and good vocal melodies has always been the hardest part of songwriting for me.

JasonHimm

Postby JasonHimm » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:09 pm

Thanks Mantis. I'm new to the whole singing/writing lyrics part myself. I don't even know if I'm recording them correctly. It's definitely a learn as you go situation. As long as you're happy with the sound, I guess it doesn't matter what the process is. I like clear cut instructions. Do step A and then step B, etc. There doesn't seem to be clear cut instructions for recording music. You just find the process that works for you and go with it.

Mantis
Admin

Postby Mantis » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:47 pm

I can't say anything for your writing or recording process, but you've definitely got a knack for mixing and mastering. All of your recordings I've heard so far are really well produced, they don't really sound remotely amateur at all.

JasonHimm

Postby JasonHimm » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:47 pm

Wow, thanks.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:06 am

Sounds a lot like Riverside. My mate would really like it.

One thing I would say is, at the 1min mark, I think the echovoice needs a touch or reverb on it and a smoother volume curve (it sounds a little harsh to me) but other than that the production is excellent!
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

JasonHimm

Postby JasonHimm » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:58 pm

You know, I noticed the same thing. I kind of like the contrast it creates, but I think at very least it could be taken down in volume a smidge. Thanks evol.

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:22 pm

Listening to your song Different Eyes (first version) again, Jason. I really like it.

Also, new acoustic recording from the phone once again. It fell off my knee near the end so the song ends a few bars prematurely as a result. Uploaded anyway cause it was like take 6 or so. I am not patient.

I haven't mastered the percussive section to the degree that I would like, but I thought it was ok enough.

https://soundcloud.com/marc-careys-music/precipice

Gonna be getting the gear I need for recording onto my laptop shortly.

JasonHimm

Postby JasonHimm » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:04 am

Thanks Burberry. I really like the piece you posted above. Can't wait to hear what you do next.

eVoL

Postby eVoL » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:01 pm

I just need to drop in what I've been working on the last week or so...
https://soundcloud.com/mreibmoz/doom-a-hellish-musical

Yes, you read that link right ¬____¬

:mrgreen:

:lol:
Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Adalaar
Augmented

Postby Adalaar » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:08 pm

Burberry Knight wrote:Listening to your song Different Eyes (first version) again, Jason. I really like it.

Also, new acoustic recording from the phone once again. It fell off my knee near the end so the song ends a few bars prematurely as a result. Uploaded anyway cause it was like take 6 or so. I am not patient.

I haven't mastered the percussive section to the degree that I would like, but I thought it was ok enough.

https://soundcloud.com/marc-careys-music/precipice

Gonna be getting the gear I need for recording onto my laptop shortly.

Sounds very close to massive attacks melodies.
cHeal wrote: I don't care one way or another whether GamerGate is all white or all black migrant transgender midget. .

Burberry Knight

Postby Burberry Knight » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:11 am

Is that a good or bad thing? Any particular song(s)? Can't say I know more than 2 massive attack songs.

Also, evol... :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Music and Literature